Is TSB about to become the next bank to slash savings rates?

Comments

• joe134 wrote: »
    Of course they are, and Tesco, and LLoyds, and BOS, et.al
    Not if, but when.
    You don't need to read it anywhere now Santander has taken the plunge, like lemmings, the others WILL follow suit.
    They are a Cartel.
    Carney gave them the excuse, and they are using it.
    The good times are over, if one can call them that.
    We with multiple A/cs haven't exactly made a fortune.;)but what was there was available to all.
    November will be the Month of several Bonfires. :(

A good service sector report on Monday will likely at least halt further BoE rate cuts. Manufacturing and construction sectors have exceeded forecasts. Maybe Carney got it wrong and the next step in rates will be back up?
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    Kendall80 wrote: »
    A good service sector report on Monday will likely at least halt further BoE rate cuts. Manufacturing and construction sectors have exceeded forecasts. Maybe Carney got it wrong and the next step in rates will be back up?
    He definitely got it wrong.
    He's only after Canadian PM's job.
    Cannot see him reversing it.
    Even if he did, the damage to us savers is done, but, it was on the cards anyway.
    These loss leaders were coming to an end anyway, Carney just gave the banks a reason to cut rates.
    Sooner he B********s off back to Canada , the better.
    He's a Government Puppet, or Muppet;If he had his way, we would have negative rates, one already about there,for companies.
    I reckon at the end of this year, all the good ratepayers , I mentioned, and NW, will cut, even though they offer it only on small amounts, over a short period.
    We are doomed:rotfl:
  • A_Flock_Of_Sheep
    A_Flock_Of_Sheep Posts: 5,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    edited 2 September 2016 at 1:33PM
    Why not just withdraw the money you have in savings and blow it all on holidays and treats. After all you can't take it with you and when it's gone just bum off the government.

After all what good is it just sitting there? Maybe folk get some kind of pleasure from sitting dully at home looking at the figures on their online bank.

I have swung away form that and am now looking at round the world travel and to hell with saving up.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    pearl123 wrote: »
    There also a good chance of winning absolutely nothing with premium bonds.

But if you have at least £1000 in the bonds you are very unlucky not to 'win' and if you don't no one will cry over losing 0.1% (ie £1). That's the equivalent of one lottery ticket, which you lose the £1 on if you don't win.
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,891 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    teddysmum wrote: »
    But if you have at least £1000 in the bonds you are very unlucky not to 'win' and if you don't no one will cry over losing 0.1% (ie £1). That's the equivalent of one lottery ticket, which you lose the £1 on if you don't win.

Actually it's the equivalent of half a lottery ticket as they're now £2 ;).
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Why not just withdraw the money you have in savings and blow it all on holidays and treats. After all you can't take it with you and when it's gone just bum off the government.

After all what good is it just sitting there? Maybe folk get some kind of pleasure from sitting dully at home looking at the figures on their online bank.

I have swung away form that and am now looking at round the world travel and to hell with saving up.

That is exactly what some of us are doing:)

I'm writing this in the quiet time between returning from the beach, and showering before a pre dinner drink on the balcony overlooking sunset on the Aegean:beer:

However, not everyone on here can afford to take this approach:(
  • A_Flock_Of_Sheep
    A_Flock_Of_Sheep Posts: 5,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    edited 2 September 2016 at 3:39PM
    badger09 wrote: »

I'm writing this in the quiet time between returning from the beach, and showering before a pre dinner drink on the balcony overlooking sunset on the Aegean:beer:

However, not everyone on here can afford to take this approach:(

Some Can - I have seen several "Me and the Wife have two Santanders Maxxed out and another joint one plus TSB and blah blah".

So we have £60k in Santander's alone langusihing around - you're a long time dead. But of course it makes you feel so "secure in your box" logging in to see that several times a week.

So you have £60k collectively stowed in Santander's coffers. So what? What good is it just sitting there? I am guessing the same people buy a car - leave it on the drive and don't use it.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    badger09 wrote: »

I'm writing this in the quiet time between returning from the beach, and showering before a pre dinner drink on the balcony overlooking sunset on the Aegean
    It's a small world. Me too. :)
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Ed-1 wrote: »
    Actually it's the equivalent of half a lottery ticket as they're now £2 ;).
    I originally put in brackets, 'If they still do one', but never having done the lottery, I looked it up and found that there do appear to still be a couple of £1 entries available.
  • It's a small world. Me too. :)

Careful neither of you drops the soap. :D
    "A nation of plenty so concerned with gain" - Isley Brothers - Harvest for the World
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure