How to disconnect Gas Cooker

Does anyone know that if you unscrew the fitting attached to the gas supply is the gas automatically cut off ?

The pipe from the Gas cooker seems to be screwed into a fitting to a pipe from the gad supply. I am getting ride of the cooker and need to disconnect it so I can get it to the tip. Any suggestions ?
"The time is always right to do what is right"

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Mine did. And it wasn't a new house/fitting either
    Mine was a bayonet fitting. Bloke who took my cooker away just pulled it off. I (scared) freaked a bit (could smell gas), but he said that was just the gas in the 3' of pipe from there to the cooker. He sprayed washing up liquid in the socket to prove it: no bubbles.
  • ckerrd
    ckerrd Posts: 2,641 Forumite
    As PasturesNew says - bayonet fitting, like a light bulb, push in, turn, pull out - job done - no gas leak
    We all evolve - get on with it
  • djohn2002uk
    djohn2002uk Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Don't take the chance!" You may not be around to find out if you were right or wrong.
    I also think it's illegal without being CORGI registered.
  • ckerrd
    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Colin/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]24_MAIN1.jpg
    This is the sort of thing. It is the right hand end, in the picture, that you undo
  • jblack_2
    jblack_2 Posts: 1,435 Forumite
    If it is a bayonnet fitting then you are allowed to disconnect it yourself, no need for a CORGI engineer. Any "mechanical" fitting (i.e. one requiring tools of any kind) must be done by a CORGI engineer.

J
  • It is totally illegal for anybody to give advice on any gas pipes or work.
    The people bringing the new cooker should remove and refit for you.
  • ckerrd
    Apologies all round

I have in the past disconnected a cooker to clean behind it, but haven't done do for some time.

I have only ever disconnected and reconnected the bayonet end, and wouldn't dream of tinkering with actual pipework.

But I know better now.
  • BobProperty
    BobProperty Posts: 3,245
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    It is totally illegal for anybody to give advice on any gas pipes or work....
    Bollards
    Go and find a thread on Screwfix's forums titled something like "DIY Gas disasters waiting to happen".
    Or read
    http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/forum1/diy-gas-work-is-not-illegal-t436.html
    A house isn't a home without a cat.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
    I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
    You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
  • jblack_2
    jblack_2 Posts: 1,435 Forumite
    It is totally illegal for anybody to give advice on any gas pipes or work.

:rotfl: I assume you aren't CORGI qualified then?
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    the whole point of the female bayonet gas socket, was to make it simple for anyone to remove and replace a gas cooker. the cookers even have to fitted with a hose and bayonet male.
    the regs do not say that only a corgi man can insert a male bayonet into a female socket fitting.
    anyone who tells you otherwise is talking cobblers.
    Get some gorm.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport