The Ultimate February Challenge

Comments

• PurpleJay wrote: »

PG - the potato and cheese bake is basically slices of potato, cheese and onion layered and then baked in the oven.

Do you need to add any liquid or does it all cook in its own 'juices'? Think I might make it tomorrow!
  • MrsPee
    MrsPee Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I've just read through the whole of this thread and would love to join in, but I think I will just lurk this month and then start in March when I can work out my budget first.
  • PG - I haven't made it for ages in the oven but I don't think I added any liquid. I greased the dish with butter and you can add knobs of butter between the layers and seasoning if you want. Not sure it is all that necessary though as quite a bit of moisture comes out of the onions and quite a bit of fat comes out of the cheese. I have seen recipies where people add milk or cream so if you want more sauce you could try that. When we make it in the pan, we just use a bit of spray oil in the bottom and then the fat from the cheese cooks it. We never add any liquid then. Sorry I am not very specific. I think it takes about an hour to cook in the oven. It always takes longer than I expect :) After about 40 mins just keep checking it. Enjoy!

For lunch today, I had left over curry and a pk of value savoury rice. It was very nice. Savoury rice is one of my staples lol. For tea, we had the cauli, cheese, pasta bake and it was lovely. M had mash, cheese, beans, sweetcorn and scrambled egg - piled on top of each other in that order! I couldn't believe how much he ate but he is a growing lad :) He tried and pulled a face at the cauli! I have 2 portions of bake in the freezer and 2 in the fridge. Probably lunch tomorrow and thursday!

Finished reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets to M and he didn't go to bed until 9.30pm! It was good though. I am glad I haven't already read them as I get to share them with him.

Our kitty cat went to the vets tonight for her second lot of vaccinations and micro chipping. Although hubby said it was a big needle for the chip, she doesn't seem any worse for it and is happy and bouncy as usual. Phew. She is about 7 months old and it is lovely having her around. M loves her and she him :) My other 2 cats are old ladies now and not very bouncy at all bless then, although they still like a cuddle with their mum :)

I haven't bought a handbag (yet)! Watching a few on ebay...

I should also report that today, after it went off about 9.00am, I didn't put the heating back on until it comes back on on timer at 3.00pm. Usually if I am in all day, I get a bit chilly about 10 - 10.30 and flick it back on but today, I dressed with an extra layer first thing and then shut the lounge door and pulled the blinds up to hold the heat in there and let the sun in. I was starting to get chilly but then I started cooking so that warmed up the kitchen and my plan with the lounge worked so I had my lunch in there and it was perfectly warm. Never thought about it again so it must have been ok. Just goes to show. I am going to make more of an effort with this.

Not sure what I am up to tomorrow. More paperwork I think. A courier is coming to collect something hubby has sold on ebay in the morning. I am also hoping for a free listing weekend. I begrudge paying to list when sometimes you don't have to but have loads of stuff I want to get on there. I have one measly 99p bid on my 11 items coming up on Sunday lol! Still plenty of time left.
    'Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain'
  • Today will be a no spend day. I will not buy a handbag today lol!

Heating is off again. Just stated to get chilly so made a coffee to warm me up. Going to put some socks on in a mo :) Once we get sorted with NPower regarding what we owe, I will shop around for the best deal.

Just out of curiosity, how much do you pay for gas and elec and how big is your home/how often do you put the heating on?
    'Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain'
  • Good morning!

Thanks PJ will try the potato and cheese bake later :D

Was schedule a SFD but had to get tbags, toothpaste and cat food so that didnt happen. But after a blizzardy couple of days we have sun so dogwalking today is a pleasure as opposed to a chore :j

I'm trying to go steady with the heating too but is so darn cold just need to make sure it stays off during the day at least until the kids are home from school.
    Hope everyones ok today and feeling positive :cool:
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi everyone.

I phoned the DWP yesterday, to see how much debt i have left with them (from an old budgeting loan years ago!)...and it's now only £500!
    So i doubled my repayments to them, and it will be cleared in 5 months :) YAY!!
    With my last credit card payment being this month too, i can finally see a light at the end of the long dark miserable tunnel :)

It is going to be a very tight 5 months..but i am ready for it.
  • Siouxsie32
    Siouxsie32 Posts: 1,987 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    edited 6 February 2013 at 5:01PM
    Edited as Spam post removed :D
  • Afternoon all

Just popping in for a catch up! It's been a busy time in the Mayfair house hold. Training is ramping up a gear and we're at busy season in work now so it's all go go go.

I'm really trying not to be disheartend this month. I know I keep going on about it, but it's just not going to be as number busting as last month and the month before. I'm trying not to let this throw me off track and keep plowing on, but it's just a bit sticky.

We've been invited away for a weekend to see some old friends who have a baby on the way. We haven't seen them for so long and we both really want to go. Will keep it MSE, I promise. But one more thing to start putting money away for. When fif I become such a scrooooge mc scrooge face? All these things coming up with friends that I know I will enjoy and I won't miss, but every time the crop up a little voice in my head is going, 'Why this year?? Why not next year when we have more spare funds??' and some of these things can not be put off. A milestone birthday, a hen do etc.

And to top it off, I had a rummage on Sunday for some more ebay bits. I found 5 bits of tat and we really scraped tha barrel. If they sell at all i'll be lucky if I make a feiver off of them. So i'm hoping for a small miracle to come along for me to sell. How much do they go for? :D

Oh well. No need to be grouchy. It's lots of happy times and still debt busting whilst enjoying them.

Just a quick question regarding this potato cheese onion amazing concoction..... I really very want to do this. But I'm not amazing in the kitchen so... if anyone could pass on wisdom it would be fab!

1. I have some left over chicken, can I stick that in as a layer?
    2. Do you have to boil the potatoes first?
    3. What sort of tray does it go in?
    4. Do you put pastry on top?
    5. What temp should it be on in a fan oven?
    6. If I serve it with baked beans is that acceptable?

Thank you :D
  • PurpleJay
    PurpleJay Posts: 526 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    1. I am veggie so no idea :)
    2. I don't bother but i imagine if you did it would cook faster
    3. I use a ceramic dish - same type if thing I use for cottage pie
    4. No
    5. I use 190
    6. It is great with baked beans :)
  • PurpleJay wrote: »
    1. I am veggie so no idea :)
    2. I don't bother but i imagine if you did it would cook faster
    3. I use a ceramic dish - same type if thing I use for cottage pie
    4. No
    5. I use 190
    6. It is great with baked beans :)

Star!!! Thank you :D Such silly questions but I'm very much I know what meals I cook and I don't tend to stray from then, always worried about trying new things incase they turn out rank and I have to chuck them :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure