BT 2013 price increases

Comments

• skinto wrote: »
    Has anyone received notification from BT of the price rise yet? I'm keen to cancel my contract if I can, so have been keeping an eye out for an email or letter.
    Yep just had ours today. Prices will rise rise 5/01/2013. I still have the email dated 2/12/2011, from the last rise where it said 'Unlimited Anytime Plan won't change again until 2013'. That price rise had occurred 3/12/2011. So at least a bit of notice.
  • Time to sign up to another phone company gentleman!
  • rickbonar. wrote: »
    Time to sign up to another phone company gentleman!

Yep, me too. I'm fed up with BT constantly putting up their prices with no visible benefit to myself. We're still on copper wire down our street and can only get around 1Meg on broadband. Our estate isn't that old either.

Don't see why I should keep forking out for zero benefit. I'm off - to Primus probably.
  • macman wrote: »
    You can reject the increase within 10 days of notification. but you will then lose your service after the notice period.
    But if you are returning you will then have to pay for a reconection. The rack rate for that is £130.

Thank you for your reply.

Does that mean the service will stop before January? Does it stop as soon as you say you want it to stop? When will the notice come out?

Thank you very much again, and I'm sorry for all the questions.
  • abwsco
    abwsco Posts: 979 Forumite
    abwsco wrote: »
    Am asking on behalf of DD and her partner who signed up for BT for Broadband, BT Vision and home phone thinking that was who they had to use. Am I reading it correctly that they can get out of their contract early (it runs until September next year) with no penalties just by writing to BT:o
    abwsco wrote: »
    Can anyone help with the format of a letter or email to BT re cancelling the contract due to the increases. Thanks in advance.

Can anyone please help with my two queries. DD doesn't want to make a c#ck up of it and I'm not sure of required wording and the query re penalities. Many thanks.
  • Sleepless_in_Scotland
    Sleepless_in_Scotland Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 7 September 2012 at 1:38PM
    I really need some help here. I need to stop BT services at the end of October, 4 months into a 12 month contract. Can I pay the cancellation charge for November and December, and then get out of paying anything else because of the increase in price in January? How would I do this?

What are the cancellation charges? I have a BT landline, broadband and Essential Vision. I don't remember being informed of any cancellation charges. I took out the contract by phone.

Thank you for your help.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You can leave without penalty as long as you reject the increases within 10 days of being notified, you then just have to give the normal 30 days notice. You can't cancel without penalty before that time.
    There are always ETC's when you agree a minimum term contract, however you sign up. The ETC's will depend on your tariff and packages, as you have more than one contract. All the charges are available on the BT site.
    If you have BT Vision and broadband, then the former is normally an 18m contract, not 12m.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Thank you very much indeed. When should I receive notification of the price increase? I'm worried I've missed it. What should I say in my letter?

If I stop the service, should I get a MAC for the people who are moving into our house. Will they have to pay for a reconnection?

Thank you again, very much. I'm rather anxious about this! I don't have the money to keep paying for a service I'm not getting.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You'll get in in due course by email or post. The increase is months off yet.
    Once you've stopped the line, the MAC is irrelevant, as the broadband stops with it. A MAC is only for switching broadband on the same line.You will of course have to pay a cease charge of around £30 to your ISP since no MAC is being used to terminate the service.
    Yes, the incoming occupier will have to pay for a reconnection or new line provision.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • harriko
    harriko Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    call them up to notify that I will be leaving. however I am still within a contract and they will charge me about £30 charge on the final bill when I switch.

Is this right?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport