I’m taking control of my life, now.

Options

Comments

• Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    It's really interesting reading all these mortgage musings. I can't wait to be in a position to overpay ours (in, erm, about 9 years' time :rotfl: )
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • boxofpaws
    boxofpaws Posts: 753 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just dug out our mortgage stuff..

Our deal runs out in August 2018.
    We borrowed £193470 over 22 years
    5 years (59 payments) @ 4.59%. Then svr after that.

This means that next August, we will owe £165000.
    House value on Zoopla is currently £259k.
    Current project LTV = 63%
    Anyone know how banks value when remortgaging?
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • ada-or-ardor
    Options
    I think it depends on the lender. Ours (Sk1pton Building Society) use i think the Halifax index which is actually based on things like zoopla and a recent sales of similar properties in the area, if you just want the free valuation and you're happy with the result. But you can also pay £60 for a valuer to actually come round and do a proper inside and out valuation. It might be worth just giving them a ring and asking them their process :-)
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Paws

Our recent remortgage was a farce. We told our broker how much we thought the place was worth, they cocked it up and told the surveyor the figure from the last remortgage they handled for us, which was a huge amount different.
    The mistake exposed we asked them to fix it, and the surveyor wouldn't, saying they just go off the paperwork supplied in the first instance!

So annoyingly we are in the 60% LTV bracket instead of the 50s.

On the budgeting thing, the way I'd do mine is look back over three months worth of spending diary entries and use that to set your budget. You can always improve on things like groceries if you want to. But it's a fairly accurate view on what you are spending month to month. Then I'd also make a list of all your annual coats and try and figure out how to save for them on a monthly basis.

I am not a YNAB budget person but i do keep a spending diary and also reconcile all my reciepts as they go out of the account. Roughly works.

Bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    How To Budget 101:

A budget is a statement of priorities, just as much for a household as for a government. The money is finite: the budget tells you what's important to you. Make the decision first, and then stick to it: if you've decided to send more money to debts and less to clothes it doesn't matter if that coat is on sale - you don't have the money. If that starts feeling too restrictive, change the priorities next month. But you set the priority ahead of the spending - what you've got right now is a spending record, which is different.

You've already got a spreadsheet, so you've already got categories for things. Sort these into:

Fixed/Have To Pay - this is mortgage, taxes, utilities, minimum debt repayments, anything else that is a set cost* and you can't get rid of.

Variable/Nice to Have - this is the sub category of things that you do need if you're not to be miserable, but the amounts can be cut back on if your income went down: groceries, clothing, extra curriculars, things for the house

Getting Ahead - for me this is annual expenses such as Christmas, plus savings pots for things like, my eldest DD will need some sort of tablet next year, plus both DDs will need orthodontics in the future, etc. In your case it will be debt overpayments, basically.

If you already have a spending record via your spreadsheet, just change that to a forecast. Type in next month's income. Fill the first category first, then the second category, then look at what's left. Do you want to send all of that to CAT 3? Or add a bit more to clothing and home maintenance? Or split it between the two?

*Note re set costs: utilities vary over the year but are necessities. If you have records for a year, this is the one area in a budget where that history will really help you: add them up, divide by 12.
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Great advice Armchair Expert
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My "budget" workbook divides things into monthly and annual lists. I started with just the obvious big things but now I have added things like "cattery" and "travel insurance" as well as an allowance for things like oil (no mains gas here).

I like Armchair Expert's suggested categories but I just look critically at each entry to work out how to reduce it a bit. The only thing I can't reduce is Council Tax so far...
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • boxofpaws
    Options
    I think it depends on the lender. Ours (Sk1pton Building Society) use i think the Halifax index which is actually based on things like zoopla and a recent sales of similar properties in the area, if you just want the free valuation and you're happy with the result. But you can also pay £60 for a valuer to actually come round and do a proper inside and out valuation. It might be worth just giving them a ring and asking them their process :-)

The house right in the corner exchanged hands at Christmas fir less than half the market value. It wasn't marketed so it must have been a family deal. I hope it doesn't bring the value of ours down.:(

Not sure who we will mortgage with yet.
    Bobarella wrote: »
    Hi Paws

Our recent remortgage was a farce. We told our broker how much we thought the place was worth, they cocked it up and told the surveyor the figure from the last remortgage they handled for us, which was a huge amount different.
    The mistake exposed we asked them to fix it, and the surveyor wouldn't, saying they just go off the paperwork supplied in the first instance!

So annoyingly we are in the 60% LTV bracket instead of the 50s.

On the budgeting thing, the way I'd do mine is look back over three months worth of spending diary entries and use that to set your budget. You can always improve on things like groceries if you want to. But it's a fairly accurate view on what you are spending month to month. Then I'd also make a list of all your annual coats and try and figure out how to save for them on a monthly basis.

I am not a YNAB budget person but i do keep a spending diary and also reconcile all my reciepts as they go out of the account. Roughly works.

Bob

I want to get at least into the 75% LTV ideally. What an annoying thing to happen to you - with the potential to lose you money :mad:
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • boxofpaws
    Options
    How To Budget 101:

A budget is a statement of priorities, just as much for a household as for a government. The money is finite: the budget tells you what's important to you. Make the decision first, and then stick to it: if you've decided to send more money to debts and less to clothes it doesn't matter if that coat is on sale - you don't have the money. If that starts feeling too restrictive, change the priorities next month. But you set the priority ahead of the spending - what you've got right now is a spending record, which is different.

You've already got a spreadsheet, so you've already got categories for things. Sort these into:

Fixed/Have To Pay - this is mortgage, taxes, utilities, minimum debt repayments, anything else that is a set cost* and you can't get rid of.

Variable/Nice to Have - this is the sub category of things that you do need if you're not to be miserable, but the amounts can be cut back on if your income went down: groceries, clothing, extra curriculars, things for the house

Getting Ahead - for me this is annual expenses such as Christmas, plus savings pots for things like, my eldest DD will need some sort of tablet next year, plus both DDs will need orthodontics in the future, etc. In your case it will be debt overpayments, basically.

If you already have a spending record via your spreadsheet, just change that to a forecast. Type in next month's income. Fill the first category first, then the second category, then look at what's left. Do you want to send all of that to CAT 3? Or add a bit more to clothing and home maintenance? Or split it between the two?

*Note re set costs: utilities vary over the year but are necessities. If you have records for a year, this is the one area in a budget where that history will really help you: add them up, divide by 12.

Thanks for this :A. You are exactly right, all I have is a spending record, not a budget.

I am putting £300 aside a month for the annual bills, however I keep dipping into it:eek:

I need to change my mindset. At the minute, I would buy the coat:o.

Clearly the entertainment spends are out of control. What I will do is sit down with the husband and agree what we will spend on that for the month, and once that money is gone, we stay in.
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • boxofpaws
    Options
    My "budget" workbook divides things into monthly and annual lists. I started with just the obvious big things but now I have added things like "cattery" and "travel insurance" as well as an allowance for things like oil (no mains gas here).

I like Armchair Expert's suggested categories but I just look critically at each entry to work out how to reduce it a bit. The only thing I can't reduce is Council Tax so far...

I need to be inventive to get the entertainment budget a bit further.

My council tax is going up by £9 a month. :cool:
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family