PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter IV

Comments

• bluebag
    bluebag Posts: 2,450 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Am I wrong to be so excited about having ordered an electric blanket :rotfl:

After much dithering I finally went for a dual control double one that fits over the mattress like a fitted sheet & even though there is only me in the bed, thought it would be less likely to move about (as I'm a thrasher) than a single one. Can't wait to try it out....

But on a sad note, both my hot water bottles appear to have perished :( even though they were always fully drained & stored hanging up with stoppers out. At least I think they've perished as the rubber seems very stretch & weak; so I don't fancy putting them to the test!

I really hope I'm not speaking out of turn, but are you aware that hot water bottles should not be used with electric blankets... if they leak it can cause electrical problems.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but if I didn't say something and there was an accident I would feel awful.
  • bluebag
    bluebag Posts: 2,450 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    2tonsils wrote: »
    Everyone here is refusing to buy the heating oil till the government reduce the huge tax they have put on it...its currently 1.50 a litre! We are using olive wood to burn in the fireplace instead and an electric blanket in the bedroom. We got a ton of wood delivered today and I am aching all over from bringing it through the house and stacking it at the back under tarpaulins...

I could have done without the free huge spider I got though...it was just like a tarantula...even the feral cat that came to investigate it wouldn't touch it!

Have got a dangerous storm warning out for us tonight with force 8 winds and 40mm of rain forecast overnight:eek: I saw Italy on the news and they say it is getting hammered by storms at the moment....and 60 percent of what should be above water level in Venice will be underwater by tomorrow night:eek: It's not looking good so I will have to unplug everything before I go to bed, I can't risk it being damaged by the storms.

The wind is currently howling down the chimney and up the street. There hasn't been a trick or treater all night.

It seems like winter is here now in Greece...with a vengeance!

Do hope it's not as bad as you fear, take good care.
  • Hello, long-time lurker finally posting so please be gentle with me!
    I've kept up with this thread since it started, I remembered seeing the one from last year so was really pleased when there was a new one.
    So far this year my prep for winter inspired by this thread has been lining my living room curtains with £1.60 Ikea fleeces (ridiculously proud of myself and my other half was amazed), digging the dehumidifier out of the cellar and starting a bit of batch cooking with the slow-cooker.
    I was determined not to put the heating on until at least November 1st but we've just had my step-kids staying with us and it does get chilly at night - I'd hate them to go back to their mother and say it was cold in my house! Anyway it's only on for half an hour in the evening and an hour just before we get up/over breakfast time.
    I have 2 duvets and a snuggle blanket (one of the ones with sleeves, I call it my zombie blanket - think about it...) on the bed and am currently inside a sleeping bag on the sofa.
    I've just got a new hot water bottle from Savers for £3 which has a fleecy cover, looked in B&M and they wanted £7!!!! OH says the electric underblanket for the bed can wait a bit longer now I've got that as he's too hot most nights under all my layers!

Wonder if anyone can answer my question while I'm here - I have a tumble dryer which I've had to start using again but is it more efficient to put a full load in which takes ages to dry or to split the load into 2 smaller ones which dry quicker? Or is that a bit of a piece of string question?

Looking forward to preparing for winter with you all!
  • mrsmclaren wrote: »

Wonder if anyone can answer my question while I'm here - I have a tumble dryer which I've had to start using again but is it more efficient to put a full load in which takes ages to dry or to split the load into 2 smaller ones which dry quicker? Or is that a bit of a piece of string question?

Ooh welcome - I too am new! Would love to hear the thoughts on this too!! Sal
  • 2tonsils
    2tonsils Posts: 915 Forumite
    Just a quick catch up while we are on a gap between storms....we had torrential rain all night and very high winds. We had a brief gap in the storms this morning so I decided to go shopping while the shops were quiet....blimey, all hell let loose with the weather while we were in Lidl! Whirling winds, flooding and lightning......I thought we were going to get stuck in there like I did two years ago.......that time it was striking to the ground in their car park and they locked the doors to stop anyone going out in it and getting struck on their property lolo....I borrowed a spoon and ate my yogurt and a block of chocolate while I waited.

Eventually got home safely although the roads were flooded. It's very dark and cloudy and I think we have more to come. I heard parts of Northern Greece have been devastated by hail and storms but I won't know any more till the evening news, as long as we don't lose the electric. I am amazed we still have the internet to be honest. Enjoy the rest of your days folks...
    “The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC):A
  • 2tonsils
    2tonsils Posts: 915 Forumite
    “The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC):A
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    mrsmclaren wrote: »

I'd split it into two loads, with man made fibres in one, and natural fibres (cotton, cotton mixes) in another. Other wise you'd be spending money moving the man made fibres around and keeping them warm while still drying the natural fibres. Also the looser the airer is packed, the more the air circulates (at least in my 8kg dryer it does, although I rarely use it)
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • pinkmami
    pinkmami Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    edited 1 November 2012 at 5:07PM
    Just to let you know that Dunelm have some lovely soft blankets for sale. £9.19 I paid for mine the other day. They cover a single bed perfectly & DD2 has one on a double but keeps her wars. Ideal to snuggle under watching TV & the forthcoming fireworks!!

Here's a link to the selection - many different colours.
    http://www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/polka-dot-seriously-soft-blanket-205506
  • pinkmami wrote: »
    Just to let you know that Dunelm have some lovely soft blankets for sale. £9.19 I paid for mine the other day. They cover a single bed perfectly & DD2 has one on a double but keeps her wars. Ideal to snuggle under watching TV & the forthincoming fireworks!!

Here's a link to the selection - many different colours.
    http://www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/polka-dot-seriously-soft-blanket-205506

I don't normally post on this thread - but just to say, thanks they look great. Just the thing for keeping my mum warm when she's up staying with us over Christmas.
  • pinkmami
    pinkmami Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    They really are warm! I'm off to get another one over the weekend for DH's aunt as a christmas gift.

Plenty of colours too! x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport