PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

lily pollen stains

Options

Comments

• tim_n
    tim_n Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    unfortunately our cats do nothing but preene (and eat lillies) so we generally get home after they've washed it into attractive lines over their heads.

Unfortunately two of the three are paranoid of the hoover and hide as soon as it comes out of the cupboard. The third will remain comatose on the floor whilst you vacuum around it. It's perfectly possible (using the nozzle not the carpet cleaner) to suck his tail almost entirely up the hose and he just sits there and purs. Stupid thing.
    Tim
  • Tiff_2
    Tiff_2 Posts: 3,046 Forumite
    Options
    tim_n wrote:
    unfortunately our cats do nothing but preene (and eat lillies) so we generally get home after they've washed it into attractive lines over their heads.

Unfortunately two of the three are paranoid of the hoover and hide as soon as it comes out of the cupboard. The third will remain comatose on the floor whilst you vacuum around it. It's perfectly possible (using the nozzle not the carpet cleaner) to suck his tail almost entirely up the hose and he just sits there and purs. Stupid thing.

Guys - you keep him talking and I'll call the RSPCA!:D
    Are the 2 others paranoid because you've tried to suck their tails up the hose?!:eek:
    Look at it this way - even cats are allowed to accessorize! This could be a great moneymaker : different coloured lillies, a different coloured cat for every occasion and for every decor!:rotfl:
    And why stop there? I can see it now - nature's organic replacement for henna hair dyes!!! We could be rich I tell you - rich!!!
    Put me down for 50%!
    I think I should go and lie down for a while...:rolleyes:
    Best wishes
    "If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think a negative thought." ~ by Peace Pilgrim.
    'You just got Tiffed!' ;)
  • sooz
    sooz Posts: 4,560 Forumite
    Options
    any ideas how to get a lily pollen stain off a blue plastic chair...

i thought i was using a dry cloth to wipe it off, but it was wet. now the chair looks like someone's had an accident on it.......brown streaked stains across the blue seat.
  • emmiemac
    Options
    Just got rid of a vase of lillies which were sat on the wipeable tablecloth on my dining room table, tried to wipe away the pollen which fell on the tablecloth but it seems to have stained it good and proper. Oops. Does anyone know how I might be able to remove the stain? Or is the tablecloth a gonner?

Thanks
  • tawnyowls
    tawnyowls Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Generally the advice is to use sticky tape to pick up the bits of pollen - once the pollen's actually been spread, it becomes very hard to remove. As your tablecloth is wipeable though (hence presumably has some sort of PVC film bonded to it?), you should be able to get it out, as it won't have gone into the fibres. Try Stardrops. In future, it's worth spending a bit of time cutting off the stamens to prevent this happening.
  • chatta
    chatta Posts: 3,392 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have loved lilies for all my life and have yet to find anything to remove the pollen. Prevention rather than cure, cut the pollen heads off before they spread. I will follow this thread in case I hear anything I havent already tried in the past :o
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello emmiemac

I think you might need super strength help with this one, so I'll move your thread over to the 'Old Style' board for their experts to view.:D

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • xxxdarlingxxx
    Options
    Hello

Lillys fell all over my cream rug, the language was choice !

Here's what I learned

White spirt will move the stain just do a wee test first, also so will leaving your cloth in direct sunlight but you might be a bit pushed in late September.

Let us know how it goes
    xxxdxxx

With compassision, good manners, kindness and dignity as your ticket you will travel far in life.
  • Richie23_2
    Richie23_2 Posts: 582 Forumite
    Options
    I have the answer - even if you have rubbed the stain, tried stain remover etc...this still worked for me after i had tried both of the above. (after my fiancee carried lilies back from his cousins wedding and had several pollen stains on his best shirt!) Soak the stain in vinegar, leave to dry in the sun...and like magic the sun must dye the stain out and you'll see the stain gone. Hand wask in normal detergent and dry in the normal way!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure