PIP Length of Award

Options
2»

Comments

• YORKSHIRELASS
    Options
    Hi

My son was transferred from DLA to PIP at 16. He was awarded for 3 years which given his age and condition is probably fair.
  • 24skins
    24skins Posts: 1,773 Forumite
    edited 8 February 2016 at 3:31PM
    Options
    I've asked for clarification on this issue today & this is what I've been told:

There are three types of award available to the Decision Maker - Long term Fixed, Short Term Fixed & Ongoing.

Short term fixed are 9 months to 2 years with an end date, should be reviewed 14 weeks before the end date and *may* be reviewed one year before.* Short term awards are appropriate for fluctuating/changeable conditions.

Long term fixed are 2-6 years with a fixed end date and should be reviewed one year before this. Long term awards are appropriate where there's little scope for change in condition.

Ongoing awards have no end date, but should be reviewed no longer than 10 years after the start date. Ongoing awards are considered exceptional & should only be given where there is no likelihood of the claimant's condition improving or deteriorating.

I seem to remember PIP was going to do away with indefinite awards, but ongoing is indefinite by another name as far as I can see.

So awards vary in length from 9 months to indefinite with a ten year review. Tribunal decisions are separate & may vary from these timescales.

*i don't know how this works when the award is one year or less, this is just what they told me. I have to say it seems very unfair that someone might be filing the forms in every few months, especially when they have a fluctuating disability!

EDIT: the reason I asked for clarification was that my son was awarded "ongoing" on one page & overleaf it said he'd be reviewed in 2026, so I was unsure whether he had an indefinite or ten year award, the answer was it's "ongoing" with no end date, in other words he has an indefinite award.
    Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just wondered if anyone knows what happens when your long term fixed award is up for review.

Do you have start from scratch again - i.e. completing the form etc?

My OH's award is for six years, but he is not going to get any better.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    a review would be completing the forms again and attending a face to face assessment if necessary.

yjey really don't consider whether conditions can improve or not.

many years ago, i received a letter from DLA stating that as i lost more sight, i should find things easier and not harder because i will ' get used to it' ;)
  • 24skins
    24skins Posts: 1,773 Forumite
    Options
    Yup, a "review" means filing out a new PIP2 & being assessed by ATOS/capita/whoever, why that has to be done a year before the award end date is beyond me.

Interestingly, the DWP don't consider the PIP2 to be a "claim" form, so sending one out is simply reviewing how your disability affects you (in their opinion). The claim part is when you make the phone call, apparently.
    Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
  • schrodie
    schrodie Posts: 8,410 Forumite
    Options
    Taken from:- Here

How it will work in practice:-

7. As part of the objective assessment, the trained independent assessor will provide a recommendation to the Department on the duration of the award, based on the individual’s particular circumstances, the evidence that has been gathered (including that provided by the claimant) and the likelihood of their condition changing. We will provide a framework for award durations to assist the assessor when providing their recommendation to the Department.

8. Durations would be based on the likelihood of changes – either an
    improvement or deterioration – to the disabling condition itself or the impact of the condition on the individual.

9. Shorter-term awards (up to 2 years) would be used where significant improvement could be expected in that period, for example where conditions improve with time or treatment; and the barriers the individual faces may reduce.

10. Longer term awards (e.g. 5 or 10 years) would be used where changes are less likely but possible. For example, where some improvement is possible over time or where the needs of the individual are likely to increase.

11. It is anticipated that ongoing awards would be used in a small minority of cases where changes, either positive or negative, are unlikely. For example, where improvement over time or in response to treatment or rehabilitation is unlikely and where the needs of the individual are also likely to remain broadly the same.
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    nannytone wrote: »
    a review would be completing the forms again and attending a face to face assessment if necessary.

yjey really don't consider whether conditions can improve or not.

many years ago, i received a letter from DLA stating that as i lost more sight, i should find things easier and not harder because i will ' get used to it' ;)

Thanks nannytone, so it looks like it will be back to the beginning again in a few years time. I know there have to be checks, but when someone is definitely not going to improve, the whole application process is totally exhausting.

Regarding your last sentence, that is a disgraceful thing for them to say. I hope you complained:mad:
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    melbury wrote: »
    Thanks nannytone, so it looks like it will be back to the beginning again in a few years time. I know there have to be checks, but when someone is definitely not going to improve, the whole application process is totally exhausting.

Regarding your last sentence, that is a disgraceful thing for them to say. I hope you complained:mad:

actually, i laughed.
    i couldn't quite believe what i was reading ;)
  • Mikail
    Options
    Hi can you help. Well I have been awarded pip for an ongoing period 10 years which they said they will contact me after 2026 so I want to know when will they call me back for assessment or review please help thanks
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Mikail wrote: »
    Hi can you help. Well I have been awarded pip for an ongoing period 10 years which they said they will contact me after 2026 so I want to know when will they call me back for assessment or review please help thanks
    In 10 years time so 2026. Relax you've just got the max award length before review.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure