Is it OK to use a 2for1 voucher on a first date?

2»

Comments

• Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    My first date was a bacon sandwich, a coffee and she had a can of coke.

It was at a Bikers Meet..
  • .....He said he'd pay, and he's paying, I don't see an issue. :)
  • Me and OH have always split the bill since day 1 because we are both as strapped for cash as each other, however I'd have been thrilled if he pulled out a voucher and offered to pay!

We use vouchers all the time, I think its far more romantic to save your money for more dates, or even a house together or a wedding than it is to pay top price for your meals just to be flashy.
    Frugal Student!!!
  • Just came across this discussion and thought I'd share a story from a while back (about a year or so) when I went on a first date with a guy and he used a voucher.

After we met he said "Do you want to go to x chain or xchain?" I didn't realise that there was a voucher involved and just thought he had a rather limited palate for restaurants if, in central London, these were the only two options he'd consider. We had the meal, during which he decided that we not get starters, not get wine and not get dessert, in a way that didn't really consult me. At the end he whipped out a voucher and it felt quite insulting as I realised that he'd not been thinking about what either of us might have wanted but just the restrictions of the voucher.

If he had said to me "I've got a voucher for x place. Do you fancy going there?" I would have replied along the lines of "Excellent idea! I love a good voucher" and potentially the rest of the date would have gone better (probably not).

I definitely don't think that using a voucher on a date is tight. I agree that it signals that the person in question has an idea about money. But I think that if you use it in the way this particular gentleman did, it does feel like you're not being valued. On a date, it's not about the money spent, but if someone acts in a way that implies that they want to outlay as little effort as possible on you, it doesn't send out a great message.

In general, on a date, I assume I'm paying for my share, unless explicitly told otherwise so it felt very odd and a tad insulting for him to dictate the place we went to eat and what we were going to eat (based on what was allowed on the voucher) when if he'd just been open about it from the beginning there wouldn't have been an issue. In the end, I insisted we split the bill anyway.
  • Vicky123
    Vicky123 Posts: 3,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I would use a voucher with my mum or friends but never on a first date, it just screams cheap, wouldn't be impressed if someone did it.
  • mapk
    mapk Posts: 157 Forumite
    Only if you're not looking for a second date ;)
  • HulkRogan
    HulkRogan Posts: 73 Forumite
    I would never do this, Id be too embarrassed.
  • atolaas
    atolaas Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Depends. If it was someone who I'd gotten to know as a friend first and knew my love of a good bargain then no problem, but on a blind date...absolutely not!
    SPC7 ~ Member#390 ~ £432.45 declared :j
    Re-joined SW 9 Feb 2015 1 stone lost so far

Her Serene Highness the Princess Atolaas of the Alphabetty Thread as appointed by Queen Upsidedown Bear
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    If you're going to use a voucher to stretch your spending power, do it discretely - there's no reason why you can't pay whilst your date is at the loo, or get up and pay at the bar. Let your date feel special, even if they're there on the freebie.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure