Transferring contacts to new phone

pandora205
pandora205 Posts: 2,934 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
I have a very old Nokia 6500 slide and am finally upgrading to my son's Huawei P9. This involves a number of steps (terminating existing contract, PAC number to keep number, new network and contract, swap sim to nano-sim) but I also need to transfer by contacts. Having googled this I can see that there are several companies offering ways but I wondered whether there was a catch (cost? use of data? etc)

Can anyone recommend how I can do this safely please?

Thanks
somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Why does a company have to do it for you?
    Often but not always the phone to computer software will transfer the contact list.
    Does the Nokia allow transfer of the contact list?
  • pandora205
    DUTR wrote: »
    Why does a company have to do it for you?
    Often but not always the phone to computer software will transfer the contact list.
    Does the Nokia allow transfer of the contact list?

I don't know - I'm happy to do it myself if someone can tell me how.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    pandora205 wrote: »
    I don't know - I'm happy to do it myself if someone can tell me how.

Have a read here
  • pandora205
    DUTR wrote: »

Looks like it's only free for five contacts. Does anyone know of a free version?
  • All the third party tools are not free as their powerful features, however, you can get the free code from some giveaways sometime on giveaoftheday or holiday sales on your own sites.
  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    One of the easiest ways is to use Nokia PC Suite to synchronise your Nokia with a computer and then use the Gmail website to import your contacts into Google. Then when you log into your new Huawei, with the same Google Account, the contacts will appear. Storing them with Google has the benefit that when you eventually get a new handset the contacts will just appear when you log in with your Google account.

This works best if you have contacts stored in proper first name, last name format. I know with older handsets it was sometimes the case that people used descriptions or codes instead of names (eg Plumber, 1 Sister). In which case retyping the contacts on the Google contacts website is probably easier.

The is 6500 is actually capable of syncing your contacts with an on-line service using exchange active sync. But, because of the age, Google no longer supports this on the handset.
  • mrochester
    mrochester Posts: 1,505 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    If the 6500 Slide supports exchange active sync, then an Outlook account would be a much better option. Google dropped exchange active sync a few years ago.
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,079 Forumite
    Check to see if the new sim card issued is of the multi sized type where you get a standard sim card that separates into micro and nano as required.

If it does then you can copy your contacts from your existing sim onto your Nokia, insert the new sim, copy the contacts back across into the new sim, remove the sim then press out the unwanted parts of the sim card to leave you with a nano sim which you put into your new phone.
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    above will work fine unless the Nokia is networked locked. Poster says they are changing network?????
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure