BT says warranty is void because item purchased through Amazon

dunroving
dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
edited 21 October 2017 at 4:49PM in Consumer rights
My BT1200 wi-fi extender died about 11 months after I purchased through Amazon. When I called BT, they said they were not liable because they did not sell the item. Is this correct?

I have a record of the purchase through my "Your Orders" page on Amazon, if that makes a difference.

AFAIK, Amazon only takes returns within 30 days.

ETA: Sorry, should have said the item is declared as having a 3-year warranty on the BT site: https://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-11ac-dual-band-wi-fi-extender-1200-080462-B15P.html
(Nearly) dunroving

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    dunroving wrote: »
    My BT1200 wi-fi extender died about 11 months after I purchased through Amazon. When I called BT, they said they were not liable because they did not sell the item. Is this correct?

I have a record of the purchase through my "Your Orders" page on Amazon, if that makes a difference.

AFAIK, Amazon only takes returns within 30 days.

Of course its correct. you bought it from Amazon,why would you contact BT?
    Its not a return,its a faulty item.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,704 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Talk to amazon - not via the 30 day returns process but via the "contact us" option. Online-chat is always good for me.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Your first port of call is Amazon. What did they say?
  • dunroving
    custardy wrote: »
    Of course its correct. you bought it from Amazon,why would you contact BT?
    Its not a return,its a faulty item.

Two reasons I contacted BT: (1) I was calling them about my wi-fi anyway (I'm a BT customer); and (2) because it says the warranty is a "manufacturer warranty", I assumed you would contact the manufacturer.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • custardy
    Two reasons I contacted BT: (1) I was calling them about my wi-fi anyway (I'm a BT customer); and (2) because it says the warranty is a "manufacturer warranty", I assumed you would contact the manufacturer.

You again are going onto the BT site.
    If you want BT service and warranty then by from them.
    You bought via Amazon so those T&Cs apply
  • dunroving
    edited 21 October 2017 at 5:22PM
    Lorian wrote: »
    Talk to amazon - not via the 30 day returns process but via the "contact us" option. Online-chat is always good for me.

Thanks, but I couldn't find a "Contact us" link on their page (I took a Snipit image, but couldn't insert). Do you mean via the Message Centre? There isn't a "New message" icon there either... I did type a message in the "Product support" message, but I got a reply saying, "Technical Support: Speak with manufacturer's technician to troubleshoot your product or parts issue. View Manufacturer Contact"
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Is the gaurantee transferable?

Maybe they consider that, if they do not sell it for other companies to resell, then as far as they are concerned somebody has bought the extender from BT and then resold it on Amazon. You effectively bought a second hand item as far as BT are concerned.
  • dunroving
    custardy wrote: »
    You again are going onto the BT site.
    If you want BT service and warranty then by from them.
    You bought via Amazon so those T&Cs apply

Not sure what your point is (bold)? What do you mean I went onto the BT site "again"? You seem to have some sort of axe to grind, whereas I'm just asking for helpful advice. There's clearly an aspect of customer rights I am not understanding, but you don't need to be arsey about it.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • dunroving
    unforeseen wrote: »
    Is the gaurantee transferable?

Maybe they consider that, if they do not sell it for other companies to resell, then as far as they are concerned somebody has bought the extender from BT and then resold it on Amazon. You effectively bought a second hand item as far as BT are concerned.

Thanks. Yes, I am starting to get this idea - if that is the case, it sheds a different light on trying to get bargains. I've been researching these wi-fi extenders and there is no end of suppliers who are selling these units at a lower price than BT.

So, effectively, buying this item from Amazon reduces the purchaser's rights from a 3-year warranty to whatever Amazon decides are their T&C's ...
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • custardy
    Not sure what your point is (bold)? What do you mean I went onto the BT site "again"? You seem to have some sort of axe to grind, whereas I'm just asking for helpful advice. There's clearly an aspect of customer rights I am not understanding, but you don't need to be arsey about it.

You edited your post to add a link to the BT site.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure