Invoice paid to wrong account

Options
I am a self employed contractor and recently invoiced a company that I have occasionally worked for.
I put my bank details clearly on the invoice but the company paid to an old joint account I had with my ex that they had on record from over 4years ago and I haven't used for 4years
It is clearly their mistake but they are saying I should have informed them that I had changed bank accounts.
I was not aware they had my old account details
Can I ask them to pay me into the correct account whilst they deal with their bank to recoup the money paid into the other account.

Comments

• TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I think it would be entirely reasonable to state that you did inform them of the new details - they were set out on your invoice.

s the old account still open?
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    Presumably the account still exists as they managed to pay into it. Why can't you get the money out of it?
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    You are not responsible for their lack of internal control, unless you can easily get access to the money it is their problem.
  • TrickyDicky101
    Options
    Is there any likelihood you will do any work for them in future? You may want to consider the impact of playing hardball over this on future prospects. I agree you provided them notice of how to pay via your invoice.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Working on the basis that the previous account is not accessible (I'm assuming that if it was the OP would simply have transferred the money), then it is entirely the responsibility of the company paying the bill to ensure that it is paid to the account given on the invoice. The OP isn't responsible for their poor processes.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Did you highlight in anyway that the bank account had changed?
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Presumably the account still exists as they managed to pay into it. Why can't you get the money out of it? Posted by scorpion

....... unless the ex has already withdrawn it.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    ....... unless the ex has already withdrawn it.

This is indeed one of the possible answers to "why can't you get the money out of it." In order for this to happen, however, the account would need to exist.

If they have paid it into a previous account and someone else has taken it out, this clearly complicates matters, which is why I asked the question.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure