Question about how number of absences from work are calculated

BadBehaviour
BadBehaviour Posts: 302 Forumite
edited 8 October 2017 at 8:18PM in Employment, jobseeking & training
In my workplace you can get dismissed after 5 absences in a 12-month period.

I even checked the staff handbook and it's not clear when this 12-month period starts... as I understood it, it is a 12-month rolling period.

Am I correct in thinking if I had been absent, say, in August 2016, then in May 2017... I would have 1 absence on my record at the moment, right? (it's just an example to understand)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Our absences work on a similar rolling basis. Yes, your August 2016 absence is now off the tally; you only have one absence in the last 12 months.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • To be fair though, they only really tend to have rules like that to justify getting rid of people who are excessively off sick, and/or those that they don't particularly like!

If you are off sick 7 times in 12 months with good reasons, and when being a hard worker, they *probably won't* be sacking you!!
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    To be fair though, they only really tend to have rules like that to justify getting rid of people who are excessively off sick, and/or those that they don't particularly like!

If you are off sick 7 times in 12 months with good reasons, and when being a hard worker, they *probably won't* be sacking you!!
    Actually, they almost certainly will be, because if they don't their sickness absence policy is challengeable in law. The reason these policies exist is to ensure that people are treated the same way, whether they are "liked" or not. If the employer does not abide by their policy for everyone, then they face an unfair dismissal claim (and probably a loss) every time they use it!
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    In my workplace you can get dismissed after 5 absences in a 12-month period.

I even checked the staff handbook and it's not clear when this 12-month period starts... as I understood it, it is a 12-month rolling period.

Am I correct in thinking if I had been absent, say, in August 2016, then in May 2017... I would have 1 absence on my record at the moment, right? (it's just an example to understand)

Thanks in advance.
    Policies are rarely that simple. It often depends not just on the number of absences, but also on the length of the absences. To be honest, five absences in a 12 month period is a pretty high level of absence. Are you sure you have read the whole of the policy? I work with local authorities, which are generally considered to be "soft touches", and broadly speaking, sickness absence processes kick in after only about nine days in total or three absences within a rolling year. So five is pretty generous, unless you mean five days absence.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    When I worked for DWP it was 4 periods of absence or 8 days absence, whichever was the lower, which would trigger the disciplinary process. That was in a rolling year. Assuming the employment period is more than 2 years, they can't simply sack somebody for having 5 periods of absence. There is a process to go through.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    To be fair though, they only really tend to have rules like that to justify getting rid of people who are excessively off sick, and/or those that they don't particularly like!

Would you say thats a fair way to interpret the attendance/sick policy?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Worked for retail company and the rule was 3 absence in a 6 month period you would be asked to a interview and be given a possible warning or if there was an underlying issue that they could help you with. So it wasn't always black and white or as cold and calculated like the OP employers.
  • BadBehaviour
    BadBehaviour Posts: 302 Forumite
    edited 9 October 2017 at 5:27PM
    sangie595 wrote: »
    Policies are rarely that simple. It often depends not just on the number of absences, but also on the length of the absences. To be honest, five absences in a 12 month period is a pretty high level of absence. Are you sure you have read the whole of the policy? I work with local authorities, which are generally considered to be "soft touches", and broadly speaking, sickness absence processes kick in after only about nine days in total or three absences within a rolling year. So five is pretty generous, unless you mean five days absence.
    john22 wrote: »
    Worked for retail company and the rule was 3 absence in a 6 month period you would be asked to a interview and be given a possible warning or if there was an underlying issue that they could help you with. So it wasn't always black and white or as cold and calculated like the OP employers.

I work for a supermarket.

Yes, it's 5 absences, which can last each for more than a day, not just 5 days. After 3 verbal warning, written warning at the 4th and possible dismissal after 5.
  • sangie595 wrote: »
    Actually, they almost certainly will be, because if they don't their sickness absence policy is challengeable in law. The reason these policies exist is to ensure that people are treated the same way, whether they are "liked" or not. If the employer does not abide by their policy for everyone, then they face an unfair dismissal claim (and probably a loss) every time they use it!

That's presumably why the policy is "can be dismissed" rather than "will be dismissed".
  • stuartJo1989
    stuartJo1989 Posts: 461 Forumite
    edited 9 October 2017 at 7:35PM
    sangie595 wrote: »

Well, my previous employer evidenced it.... But they struggled to retain talent at times which was probably a driving force.

Not saying I disagree with you though! What you say makes perfect sense.

(although one twist is that being so strict in the implementation of the sickness policy means that you could potentially be unfair in regards to people with disabilities; either through being more lenient with the sickness policy for people with disabilities, or through applying the policy to the letter and not really giving them any chance at work).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure