Stansted express vs Normal train

Looking at trains to Stansted Airport. Just wondering if it is worth paying the extra for the Stansted express.
Come on you Irons

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,568 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 October 2017 at 10:47PM
    Zinger549 wrote: »
    Looking at trains to Stansted Airport. Just wondering if it is worth paying the extra for the Stansted express.
    What 'extra' are you talking about?

Are there specific Stansted Express trains?
    And if so, do they cost more?

Edited to add:

It looks like you can actually save money by booking through www.stanstedexpress.com
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    My experience is that it is anything but an express.
    I don't believe there are differential fares and I thoguht all trains that left Liverpool street for the airport were "Stansted express trains"
  • jbuchanangb
    jbuchanangb Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Stansted Express is a brand of Abellio Greater Anglia. From London all the trains to Stansted Airport have this brand.
    They are an express service in comparison to other Greater Anglia trains which use the same line to Bishop's Stortford and beyond.
    It is correct that the stanstedexpress.com website offers some special deals which you won't find on other rail ticket sales sites.
  • Used the stanstead express for the first time this week. Have to step outside the terminal and go down an escalator to get to the station. Aside from that it was fine - no different to a normal train. Colleague of mine swears by it as he finds it quite relaxing compared to tube from heathrow or dlr from city.

Its a train, stops 3 times or so on way to/from airport. Only way it could be better than a 'normal train' (if they run that route) would be if the normal train made more stops or was already partially full when it pulled into the station?
  • apt
    apt Posts: 3,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It's not like Gatwick where there are easy cheaper rail alternatives to the Express. If you book well in advance, you can get good price via the Stansted Express website.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure