PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• Floss wrote: »
    Nowadays all the metal companies weigh all staff & visitors on their way in and on their way out... They generally all have very soft wax floors so any waste, dwarf, filings etc get squished in, then every so often the floor is scraped up, melted down and the metals recovered ;)

They melt the floor down!! Goodness!! What a job that would be...

I'm having another stab at my wardrobe today, sorting through scarves that I've long kept but not worn. In the washing machine now before going in the CS bag. Added a couple of pairs of shoes, both bought, funnily enough, because 'look, they come in a 9!!!' and I've hardly worn one pair and never worn the other. I guess thats one of those occasions where you say 'thank you' to the shoes for giving me that thrill when I saw them in the shop that just because I have big feet, doesn't mean I have to wear ugly shoes :D

Also gone are a pair of red jeans from my MIL who seems to declutter her wardrobe to me, a dress that is too see through but too tight to wear a cami or something underneath and another dress that really doesn't suit. Feeling good!!

Just a quick question, I get 'Justin' and 'Andy' but 'Rowan' is confusing me... :rotfl:
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    PollyWollyDoodle Posts: 2,057 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 September 2017 at 7:33AM
    We had a family friend who was jeweller many years ago and he used to work with a sheepskin on the floor. The fleece would catch any tiny amounts of gold, and then it would be burned and the metal reclaimed.

Good news on the job, tibawo - the thought of working five days a week again makes me shudder, but you sound very happy about it!

GQ, your comment about 'those oblong little trays that I thought would be handier than they are' really made me smile, I've got a couple of those. They would hold two mugs, but if I've only got two mugs to carry I wouldn't use a tray! They fit neatly on my kitchen windowsill, one holds three plant pots and the other holds a single plant, hand wash and the washing up liquid bottle. Thinking about it, they're not really necessary and tend to collect bits (odd screws and so on). Perhaps they could go.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I've got two of those little oblong melamine trays. I repurposed them to the sitting room as coasters for DH's and my mug 'o' tea and biccy!
    Put my roasting tins away - all in their drawer,held upright by the expanding racks from Iykeya - deep joy ;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    silvasava wrote: »
    I've got two of those little oblong melamine trays. I repurposed them to the sitting room as coasters for DH's and my mug 'o' tea and biccy!
    Put my roasting tins away - all in their drawer,held upright by the expanding racks from Iykeya - deep joy ;)
    :eek: They're breeding!

The first thing I saw when I went into the chazzer to donate mine was another one, fresh out since yesterday. So now they've got three for sale, all different designs........... :rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    I quite fancy one of those little trays for my kitchen windowsill to put the wul and handwash on - will have to keep an eye out :D
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    My company have been kondo-ing colleagues again, 12 in one location :eek: It's far-far away, and I have never been in touch with them personally, but it does signify big changes, and presumably other regional offices to follow. 'They' seem to be centralising again, having only satellite offices in the regions instead of fully-fledged offices.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,241 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    They melt the floor down!! Goodness!! What a job that would be...

It is worth the bother as any scrap gets held in the floor rather than on the soles of shoes, and with the price of precious metals like gold & platinum, it saves £s in waste. My ex-h used to work for one firm in Birmingham and my DH has done onsite work there (Not at the same time though! :eek:)
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) I once heard tell of someone buying a jeweller's carpet and burning it to get at the scraps of gold. This may be an urban legend, tho.

Pretty pleased with how the kitchen cupboards have turned out; I've lined the deep pan cupboard (a base unit) with a flattened-out white cardboard box, to protect the bottom of the cupboard from getting dinged up by my dragging heavy pans out of the back. An unexpected benefit is that it deadens sound somewhat, a useful extra in a thin-walled flat.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • catshark88
    catshark88 Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    A bin liner full of clothes and shoes, is by the front door, waiting to go to the recycling bin tomorrow.

When we move house, I'm going to try to not have a wardrobe, but keep all my clothes in my chest of drawers (2 big, 2 small drawers). I might need a plastic storage box for my "other season" stuff, but I'm not sure if that's cheating....
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
  • catshark88 wrote: »
    A bin liner full of clothes and shoes, is by the front door, waiting to go to the recycling bin tomorrow.

When we move house, I'm going to try to not have a wardrobe, but keep all my clothes in my chest of drawers (2 big, 2 small drawers). I might need a plastic storage box for my "other season" stuff, but I'm not sure if that's cheating....

I thought I was the only one without a wardrobe but this is exactly what i have
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure