We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017

Comments

• Niv
    Niv Posts: 2,468 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Many thanks fruittea.

I have had similar thoughts to your regarding what to grow. I too intend to grow the 'high cost' fruit and veg so blueberries and raspberries are on the list !

Thanks for the link and freezing tips!
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi everyone and a Happy New Year. Thanks DD for starting a 2017 thread as I really enjoyed last years and learnt a lot.

I'm going to follow Fruittea's idea and add up how much I save again this year using Mr S (our nearest supermarket) for prices. I've still got loads in the freezer from last year and I'm still picking carrots, sprouts, leaks, cabbage kale off the plot with broccoli not quite ready yet. Undercover I've got yet more carrots and fennel ready, with onions and garlic growing well.

This year has to be a 'saving year' as I want to save enough money to have a proper driveway from the house down to the road so I'm up for the challenge of trying to be as self sufficient as possible. The plot is not as tidy as it should be but I made an effort yesterday and turned over one of the raised beds, and one of the beds undercover - hard work - I need to be fitter and lose weight :(

I think this year I shall try to grow a wider range of vegetables and not so many of each, trying to avoid gluts but having something I can pick fresh everyday. I'll obviously freeze any surplus but there's a limit to the number of times one can eat runner beans over the winter :)

Fruittea:- what is the growlamp you mentioned in the old thread, how does it work? Have you started sowing yet? I'm raring to get under way - just finished my admin so I have a bit more time at the moment to get organised.
  • Fruittea
    Fruittea Posts: 956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Morning everyone
    Pretty cold around here today. Great to see you're going to keep tabs on the savings from the plot again this year Zafiro. And lovely to hear you have so much growing.
    I'm planning to do a stock take of the freezers and then meal plan for the coming months - so I'm ready for the new growing season.
    The light thing is a Garland growlight - I got it for Christmas I've set if up but not planted anything yet as the house is upside down with Christmas stuff. It looks good though - it has 4 separate growing pots and one daylight tube which is really bright - so I hope to start stuff off in there and keep herbs like basil growing through the cold months. I think it cost about £45 - so not cheap but it should pay for itself if it keeps me in herbs and salad throughout the winter. I'll update you when I start.
    Still haven't sorted my seeds out but I think I have everything I need.
    Sadly the allotment sheds were visited by thieves this week - luckily not mine but it's a warning and as a precaution I'll take the petrol can out of the shed and bring it home.
    Also I'll bring back the wooden tools for a raw linseed oil treatment and get them ready for spring.
  • zafiro1984
    Morning all,
    Cold and frosty here need to wrap up well.

Fruittea, Sorry to hear about the allotment thieves, hope not much was taken. I suppose I'm lucky having my veg patch at home as we are very well alarmed both indoors as well as outside, I know who is where by the different sounds the alarms make, not to mention the CCTVs.

Thanks for the info on Garland growlights, I've googled it so I think it's to go on the 'wishlist' as it's looks just the job for starting off seeds. Last year we made the old kitchen into a utility room. It's also where I clean my veg and game so I was thinking of using that to start my seeds off as there's plenty of room.

Has anyone started sowing yet, I haven't so I'm going to spend the next few days (when I have time) going through all my seeds to make sure I have everything I need. I'm terrible with the seed catalogues, I always find things I would love to try but know I shouldn't, - must keep my hands in my pockets and off the internet so I don't spend.
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,906 Forumite
    Morning all. I still haven't been able to get out in the garden properly and it really does need a tidy up and prep done for the new growing season. However, I am still harvesting chard and rocket. I must get into the shed and check the onions and garlic are ok.

So today I have ordered small fleece, poly and net tunnels to go over my raised beds, liners for the trugs and a grow bag for peas. I need to get compost and then I can start warming it up ready for planting.

Need to ask DH is I can commandeer the window sill in his hobby room again for my seedlings.

Happy planting everyone.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • Fruittea
    Fruittea Posts: 956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Morning everyone - not so nice out today - drizzling and grey here in Gloucester.
    Sounds like a good start for you Jazee I'm still pondering about with seeds - must get a wiggle on.
    Thanks Zafiro my shed was fine but others lost tools.
    I wanted to mention potatoes - last year I went to the Dundry nursery potato fair - it's near Cheltenham but there are fairs all over the country and I found it a great way to find out about the best potatoes for me. Here's a link to the site.
    http://www.dundrynurseries.co.uk/event.asp
    Or just google potato day and your area.
    What was good is that I could buy just the right amount of potatoes for me as they were priced by the kilo of 20p per seed. So I bought around 6 varieties in small quantities and as I have limed space it was a great way to do things. There's usually experts on hand and even cooked potatoes so you really see what they're like.
    I can highly recommend it.
    All the best
  • zafiro1984
    Jazee wrote: »
    Need to ask DH is I can commandeer the window sill in his hobby room again for my seedlings.

Happy planting everyone.

Jazee that made me laugh, I hope you succeed, My DH has started to invade my space in the utility room with all his DIY tools, I've even had to give him a set of shelves. It's not as if he hasn't got a workshop!!!!

Fruittea:- I've heard about potato days but have never been to one. Unfortunately, I've already ordered my tubers. Sapro Mira for outside because we are plagued by blight plus Red Duke of York as second earlies as they should be out of the ground before blight strikes. Inside I'm growing some first earlies, and I've also ordered a small quantity of Mayan Gold and Anya to try. I have had both from the supermarkets and really like them. I just have to remember to put the tomatoes in the other polytunnel.

Not even started going through the seeds yet. Been helping DH, get the study into shape.
  • I love Red Duke of York...

I ended up taking a little sabbatical in 2016, let's see if I can keep up this year. In the meantime here's a synopsis of how things went last year: I thought I'd got away with it, but the slug apocalypse got me in the end and I lost my entire plot of courgettes and pretty much anything I put out (this is despite using sand, ashes, nematodes and even wire entanglements made out of recycled copper). Blight also struck big time and got into my greenhouses, so my bumper crop of tomatoes could have been better but I can't really complain. If I still have tomatoes at Xmas then I'm happy, and I have three or four left. Potatoes (even the blight resistant varieties) were blighted quite early, but I still got good crops of smaller sized tubers, and they seem to have kept well, so I harvested them in time. My Oca crop did well again, as did my broccoli (which finally blew over this week). On to 2017...

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Niv
    Niv Posts: 2,468 Forumite
    Just bought a chainsaw and 5in1 multi-tool. That will speed up my plans to tidy up the garden ahead of planting :)

If I don't return to this thread I probably cut my arm off with my chainsaw! ha-ha
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hello all. Small garden, small (unheated) greenhouse, so we're limited to tomatoes and chillies plus a mini peach tree under glass, raspberries and blueberries in pots, and strawberries and blackberries in hanging baskets. However, we also have dwarf stock plum, pear, eating apple and baking apple trees which produce more than enough for our needs.

I'll be growing 'ring of fire' chillies again this year (we like hot stuff!) - they're the long thin fruits, so freeze well. Looks like last years crop will be enough to see us through until this years are ready for picking.

We did try growing spuds in tubs, but the results weren't worth the hassle.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure