BT Broadband top pick, we want your feedback

Comments

• My experience in getting connected with BT broadband could be best described as shambolic!

To give you some background, I was moving from the AOL provider (due to a poor broadband service) to BT mainly because they were advertising how great their broadband service was. After placing my order I was give a date for the changeover. In fact BT were good at communicating this with email and text updates. However, when it came to the date and time of changeover they confirmed I was connected now to their broadband service. This is when the problems started.

In fact BT had disconnected by AOL service but hadn't connected me to their broadband service. When I rang up, they told me I was connected and it was done remotely by electronic means. After complaining it wasn't their call centre people in India said there must be a cable fault outside my house and told me it would be a week at the earliest to get an engineer out. The truth was there was NO FAULT outside my house but in fact BT forgot to send someone out to the local telephone exchange to physically change over 2 wires to connect my broadband. I was left 7 days disconnected my a broadband service and after complaining BT never once apologised for their error nor did they offer me any compensation.

Within a few days of getting reconnected to my broadband service I asked for a PAC code and moved to Zen Internet which is the UK top performing broadband provider (Source. Which - The Consumers Association) and it was the best decision I ever made!

By the way BT even tried to charge me for the broadband disconnection from them even though there is a 30 day 'cooling off' period. My advice go to a reliable provider such a ZEN INTERNET.
  • I have tried to order the Infinity broadband on the BT online ordering pages. However, despite selecting the button to pay line rental upfront for twelve months, at the checkout this option disappears and I can only select monthly or monthly plus payments.

A chat box opened and someone called Shaun suggested that I went ahead with ordering monthly line rental online and then changed to an annual payment by phoning their customer services afterwards.

Me? Sit on the phone waiting for a call centre for heaven knows how long? I think not.

I want to be confident I'm ordering what I want at the time of agreeing to the contract thank you very much. Sorry, BT, you've failed again.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Simply sign up with monthly line rental then as soon as your account is active you take the option to pay advanced line rental .
  • I have had a truly wretched time switching to BT broadband, following the instructions on the MSE newsletter.

I made the mistake of trying to change my installation date - it took about three very long and frustrating calls to achieve this as well as doing it online. All the BT systems were saying different dates and in the end the wrong date was given to my old supplier so the service was cut off and the new BT service was not turned on.

The process to get this expedited and restored was just as painful and unsuccessful as the process to change the installation date - many lengthy calls, broken promises and a week's delay to get broadband started.

Just got the prepaid mastercard through - what a surprise, it is for £50 instead of the promised £100. No sign of the separate cashback yet.

All in all this has been by far the worst telecomms switching experience of my life - and I was with Vodafone for a while :-)

I can only ask that these deals are not recommended by MSE because the BT systems behind them are simply not working.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    dangermike wrote: »
    I have had a truly wretched time switching to BT broadband, following the instructions on the MSE newsletter.

All in all this has been by far the worst telecomms switching experience of my life - and I was with Vodafone for a while :-)

I can only ask that these deals are not recommended by MSE because the BT systems behind them are simply not working.

I can only agree.
    phone line installed but they forget the broadband, so was without bb for 3 weeks while I waited for the next available engineer slot. The Indian call centre are hopeless. They claimed they tried to book a expedited slot but the couldn't, strange how when I contacted open reach they were available,.
    Not recommended, first time with BT and first of 6 installations it's gone wrong.
  • This deal looks really good, but even without the freebies (voucher, initial discount etc) I can see that the discount you cite should reduce the fee to £10.99 from the usual £26/mth. I appreciate that as a long-standing (7yrs+) existing customer, I cannot get this, but I am paying almost double the "usual" price (£56/mth for fibre optic unlimited with line rental and weekend calls (which I don't need as I don't even have a phone)).
    I don' know if this has anything to do with it, but a while ago, I received at least two letters saying that they had installed fiberoptic broadband and offering me the chance to upgrade for a certain sum, but I did not want it. Then, I got a letter saying that it had been installed for free of charge (I double checked the letter and my contract for a catch, e.g. it was only free for 3mths and then you'd pay unless you cancelled). I presumed it was something to do with the fact I live in a central London flat.
    I cannot sign on with a provider which needs to install a cable, (unrelated - issues to do with access). I'm not keen to go for another provider as I have 79Mb (!) - higher than advertised!)
    Can anyone explain why it is so high? I asked the BT helpline if "unlimited" was subject to a fair usage policy and I was being charged extra for that but the chap said that I didn't even use enough to justify having unlimited, because I used it so little. As I am out of contract, can I at least get the "usual" £26/mth deal?
  • I bought a new Infinity+phone contract on 28 Aug, it was advertised with £150 BT Reward Card. Now trying to claim online, it comes out as £100 Reward. Called BT customer service, they confirmed I am eligible for the £150 card but they cannot do anything online (?) and I have to go to an online adviser instead. The reason for the difference is apparently that my order did not go through their system until 5 Aug which made is eligible only for £100. What a shambles! Spent already more than an hour on the phone.
  • CGG
    CGG Posts: 746 Forumite
    I received my £150 Mastercard reward from BT a fortnight ago, (no problem), after switching to them in recent weeks. I applied for the extra £50 cashback which was also part of the MSE blogged deal back in July. I'm just waiting for this to arrive.
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    warehouse wrote: »
    BT is great when everything works. When it doesn't then BT customer services are absolutely horrific, so bad in fact that I was left so scarred by the experience that I left and went to Virgin.

A very simple break in the line from my house to the pole took 2 WEEKS to fix. A week of being told if it was my fault I'd be charged if the fault was in the house, the same week listening to script after script being read out by Indian call centre staff who don't give a d*** about you, no responsibility for my broken ADSL line by anyone at anytime whatsoever. When the engineers did eventually get round to seeing me they misdiagnosed it 4 times.

An utter nightmare from start to finish, about 20 calls all finished with absolute frustration and hair pulling, and it all ended with me telling them to shove it and joining their rivals.

As I said, when it works it's fine, but God help you when it doesn't.

From what I've read on this thread since I posted this back in 2015 nothing appears to have changed. Be warned.
    Pants
  • What a horrible company BT are. Only three months into a 12 month contract and I'm currently getting late 20th century internet speeds whilst paying £20 a month for the privilege (£39 when you include line rental).

Is there any way I can legally get out of the contract without having to pay up the remainder?
    Current MFD 1st July 2026

Target MFD 1st April 2023
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family