Contactless and Oyster card fares

Shelle
Shelle Posts: 353 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 6 September 2017 at 9:22PM in Public transport & cycling
Can anyone advise whether contactless fares are cheaper than using an oyster card?

Trying to work this out on the TFL website, am I correct in that if you only use it for a few days (like tourists) there is no difference in cost but if you are a commuter then because of the weekly cap contactless becomes cheaper?

We have two oysters from our last visit (although one has a railcard attached which I understand cannot be done on contactless) and trying to figure out if its best to stick with them or not. Also, the one that doesnt have a railcard attached is actually a visitor oyster card - do these expire at all if not used for over a year (think its about 18 months)?

Any advice? :)
Save

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,528 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You seem to understand all the points.

A Visitors Oyster card does not expire.
    If you decide you no longer want it, just like an ordinary Oyster card you can get a refund of the available balance.
    However, you cannot get the original card purchase price back - that is lost.

The original deposit is refundable with an ordinary Oyster card.
  • jbuchanangb
    jbuchanangb Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    The Oyster with railcard endorsement is non transferable, user must carry railcard. Discount expires same date as the railcard when the railcard was added. If you have a new railcard you need to have that added to the Oyster card.
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,268 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The weekly cap is due to be added to oyster cards soon but for now it is only on contactless. Trouble with contactless is that they fail every now and then, and get refused by the bank for seemingly no good reason.
  • t0rt0ise wrote: »
    Trouble with contactless is that they fail every now and then, and get refused by the bank for seemingly no good reason.

We use contactless cards when in London. I've read stories of them sometimes failing but we've never had any problems (yet!). I think one of the important things is to make sure the gate light flashes green after offering the card. My card works almost instantaneously, but we noticed a definite delay with my wife's card - so much so we weren't sure it had registered. But I checked our bank statements afterwards and all the charges were correct.

I think(?) you can also check your account online with TFL.
  • t0rt0ise wrote: »
    Trouble with contactless is that they fail every now and then, and get refused by the bank for seemingly no good reason.

What do you mean by "fail"

I'd assume that the only reason for a bank to refuse is because the card holder has no money in their account.... or do you mean something else?
  • We use contactless cards when in London.

I'd be VERY CAREFUL using a bank card with TFL.

I tapped in to a tube station using Contactless I then tapped out and back in to an overground station as 1 journey. I just happened to be looking at a bank mini-statement a few days later and noticed that TFL had charged me I think £16? for that journey. It should have been £2.60.

Rang them up to ask them why and they said I'd been charged for 2 incomplete journeys. I said I tapped in/out correctly and the gates had opened. TFL bloke spent 5 minutes telling me I was in the wrong and it was my fault for using different cards, for not tapping in/out etc etc. TFL completely refused a refund.

I then happened to mention that the contactless card was on my phone via AndroidPay and the receipt from the journey quite clearly showed the tap in and out points. It was like flicking a light switch and I got my refund 2 seconds later no questions asked.

I genuinely believe that TFL are making millions a year out of this little scam either from people not noticing the addition money taken or not being able to prove they tapped in/out.

AndriodPay is much safer i.e. you have to unlock your phone to access it AND more vitally it gives you a tap in/out log.
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Oyster cards can fail as well.

I really don't think Tfl's system is a scam, but although it appears simple on the surface, it is complex behind the scenes, as anyone who falls foul of it can discover. However, I've always found staff very accommodating sorting out problems / incomplete journeys etc.
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,848 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I have used both Oyster (as a season ticket) and credit card and I don't ever recall any issues with either of them. In your case I would use a bank card but register it on TfL first by creating an account (https://oyster.tfl.gov.uk/oyster/entry.do). That was you can see your journey and if you experience delays you can claim a refund fairly easily.

Apple Pay can be used too if you really want to but I would advise against it as there are, in my experience, regular delays when trying to use it. Others, however, think that it's great.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,268 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    What do you mean by "fail"

I'd assume that the only reason for a bank to refuse is because the card holder has no money in their account.... or do you mean something else?
    They throw up a code 80 when the card holder swears there is money in the account. A previous incomplete journey will do it, often caused by the person thinking they have tapped when they haven’t and have followed someone through the gate unaware. With an oyster, staff can correct, with a contactless card it simply gets refused.
  • ok I need to admit to being an employee of TFL. I forget gate codes as I am at home and a bit rusty. error codes with contactless have a number of issues. Card not approved /not enough funds from a previous journey to name a few issues. The issue with station staff not helping is that station staff cannot access the info on bank cards. Also cards are debited overnight.

What I would say to folk is to open an online account. There is a complaints procedure. Whilst customers may not always get the response they think they deserve, complaints are always investigated
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure