Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights

Options

Comments

• acebanditcat
    Options
    I'm confused!

We had an all inclusive holiday with Jetline to Fuerteventura for next week, flying from Birmingham paying in total for the two of us of £692. Which was for the hotel accommodation and the flight with MONARCH. The ATOL certificate issued covered both.

After a telephone call from Jetline they offered alternative holidays until we realised that when the guy said this one is £550 and we said go for it he actually meant £550 more!
    So we requested to go to customer services for a refund

We were told yes they will refund the accommodation of £470. I asked but what about the flight and was told we can only refund the accommodation and not the flight because we dont know what Monarch are doing?! We were then told the refund will take 7 working days. We were due to fly next Wednesday.

We had to look for an alternative holiday with just £470 to spend but are now flying to Majorca next thursday from Bristol as the canary islands were now too expensive as we now only have this amount to spend. We were advised to book quickly as they were running out of flights

So disappointed as this holiday is now flying with Ryan air who we were told had doubled or tripled their prices.

I dont understand if we get the remaining £200+ back for the flights
  • HilaryMS
    Options
    I booked two return flights with Monarch, using a Deutsche Bank Visa debit card from Alicante to Gatwick. I have UK travel insurance that includes scheduled airline failure but excludes companies in administration. I have contacted the bank here in Spain, but they say that the debit card “does not have any travel insurance cover”. I don’t suppose that the chargeback procedure applies in Spain.
    I also think that the point of the exclusion is because “in administration” can mean that the company can continue to trade headed by the administrator, so that there is a chance that you might get your money back. This is not the case here as they have ceased trading but are not yet being “wound up” I have written to the insurance company along those lines, also KPMG. Any other ideas?
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 October 2017 at 2:54PM
    Options
    Well I have just rang my other credit card provider (Natwest).

Again, just like Vanquis, they have batted me straight back to the CAA/ATOL, they have all had a email literally timed about 10 minutes ago from their Disputes department saying the policy is to tell all people who bought on the credit cards to claim via ATOL! This is a nightmare, the CAA advice is at direct odds with the policy the banks are adopting!

"If you booked directly with Monarch Holidays using a credit card, please contact your credit card issuer to make a claim for a refund."

Anyone from MSE reading this?
  • Chillimonster
    Options
    Has anyone who booked a flight and hotel package through Lastminute had anything back from them yet that isn't "We will contact you ASAP" or other such pre-formatted reply

I could book for somewhere else, but am stuck until i know if i am getting a refund or different flights
    LBM = 10/10/10
    Debt at [STRIKE]14/10/10 = £56936.28[/STRIKE] --- 17/04/12 = £49673.01

You cannot eat an elephant in one mouthful, just take a bite at a time!
  • danielson81
    Options
    Has anyone who booked a flight and hotel package through Lastminute had anything back from them yet that isn't "We will contact you ASAP" or other such pre-formatted reply

I could book for somewhere else, but am stuck until i know if i am getting a refund or different flights

I am in the same position, I have just re-booked something and next week will press for a refund for my original booking.

I seriously doubt they can offer me an alternative holiday/flight in the next 10 days.
  • N4t4lie
    N4t4lie Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    HilaryMS wrote: »
    I booked two return flights with Monarch, using a Deutsche Bank Visa debit card from Alicante to Gatwick. I have UK travel insurance that includes scheduled airline failure but excludes companies in administration. I have contacted the bank here in Spain, but they say that the debit card “does not have any travel insurance cover”. I don’t suppose that the chargeback procedure applies in Spain.
    I also think that the point of the exclusion is because “in administration” can mean that the company can continue to trade headed by the administrator, so that there is a chance that you might get your money back. This is not the case here as they have ceased trading but are not yet being “wound up” I have written to the insurance company along those lines, also KPMG. Any other ideas?

Chargeback is a Visa policy not an individual bank policy. There is a standard template letter on the main MSE pages that you should send to the bank providing the card. It is not travel insurance, but it is there to be used if you have paid for goods or services that you have not received and covers businesses going into administration. Hope that helps. Personal experience says you have to keep on them and take the fob offs till you get to the right person. All of this is best done in writing (keep copies and send everything recorded delivery). Be patient, you will get a refund if you follow Martin's advice on chargeback the main web site.
  • Chillimonster
    Options
    Just got through to LM (Only 16 mins on hold)

Actually really helpful. He advised they are working through the list of package deal customers in departure order (Sensible) and the flights team will have an answer to everyone at least 48 hours before they are due to fly with alternative flight details.

If at that time the alternative flights do not suit you will be given the option to cancel for full refund.

As i am in Manchester i also added Leeds Bradford and Liverpool airports as possible departure airports.

Fingers Crossed.
    LBM = 10/10/10
    Debt at [STRIKE]14/10/10 = £56936.28[/STRIKE] --- 17/04/12 = £49673.01

You cannot eat an elephant in one mouthful, just take a bite at a time!
  • N4t4lie
    N4t4lie Posts: 197 Forumite
    edited 4 October 2017 at 3:50PM
    Options
    Well I have just rang my other credit card provider (Natwest).

Again, just like Vanquis, they have batted me straight back to the CAA/ATOL, they have all had a email literally timed about 10 minutes ago from their Disputes department saying the policy is to tell all people who bought on the credit cards to claim via ATOL! This is a nightmare, the CAA advice is at direct odds with the policy the banks are adopting!

"If you booked directly with Monarch Holidays using a credit card, please contact your credit card issuer to make a claim for a refund."

Anyone from MSE reading this?

Not from MSE, but do have a bit of experience as I read up a lot on the subject last year when I was one of those who had booked with Low Cost Holidays.

As far as I understand it any purchase that has an ATOL certificate Issues by Monarch (or associated companies) will be dealt with by the CAA. It's what it is there for, if the CAA are telling people to go to their card issuer then that sounds like bad advice. Looks like the ATOL CAA claims forms will be available middle of next week. And believe me it feel like an eternity when you are stuck in limbo wondering if you'll get your money back or another holiday booked.

If you have an ATOL certificate issued under another companies license it is up to them (depending on their level of cover) to offer an alternative holiday (may cost extra) or give you a refund. They are still trading for you to talk to them, but you can appreciate they are probably very busy.

Only If you have no ATOL cover:

Firstly try your insurance company if it has scheduled airline failure cover.

If you paid on a card:

Then if each person's booking was over £100 and was on a credit card claim using Section 75; standard letters available on the MSE web page.

If it was under £100 per person on a credit card or any amount over £10 on a debit card claim using chargeback, standard template letters also available on the main site.

If you paid by bank transfer, cheque or cash you will need to apply to KPMG to become an unsecured creditor, but it is rare that anyone gets any money back.

If you paid via Paypal:

Within 180 days of purchase, raise a dispute. When LCH went under all money owing (people had lost hotels, transfers but not flights, or all so was very complicated) was refunded within a month of the announcement.

Outside of 180 days and paid using a linked credit or debit card, write to the card issuer and start a chargeback.

Section 75 will not apply as Paypal is classed as an intermediary.

Hope that helps, my only advice is to be patient as the first week after something like this happens is always disorganised as everyone forms a policy. I hope you can rescue your holiday, at worst you should get a refund if you have the ATOL certificate.
  • bradders1983
    Options
    N4t4lie wrote: »
    Not from MSE, but do have a bit of experience as I read up a lot on the subject last year when I was one of those who had booked with Low Cost Holidays.

As far as I understand it any purchase that has an ATOL certificate will be dealt with by the CAA. It's what it is there for, if the CAA are telling people to go to their card issuer then that sounds like bad advice. Looks like the ATOL CAA claims forms will be available middle of next week. And believe me it feel like an eternity when you are stuck in limbo wondering if you'll get your money back or another holiday booked.

If you have no ATOL cover, try your insurance company.

If you paid on a card:

Then if each person's booking was over £100 and was on a credit card claim using Section 75; standard letters available on the MSE web page.

If it was under £100 per person on a credit card or any amount over £10 on a debit card claim using chargeback, standard template letters also available on the main site.

If you paid by bank transfer, cheque or cash you will need to apply to KPMG to become an unsecured creditor, but it is rare that anyone gets any money back.

If you paid via Paypal:

Within 180 days of purchase, raise a dispute. When LCH went under all money owing (people had lost hotels, transfers but not flights, or all so was very complicated) was refunded within a month of the announcement.

Outside of 180 days and paid using a linked credit or debit card, write to the card issuer and start a chargeback.

Section 75 will not apply as Paypal is classed as an intermediary.

Hope that helps, my only advice is to be patient as the first week after something like this happens is always disorganised as everyone forms a policy. I hope you can rescue your holiday, at worst you should get a refund if you have the ATOL certificate.

The quote in my last post was straight from the monarch.caa.co.uk website, I cant link it as Im a new member. Its ridiculous.

Thankfully I have booked another holiday already although that is sat on a credit card awaiting the ATOL refund!
  • bradders1983
    edited 4 October 2017 at 3:49PM
    Options
    Yes, here you go:

monarch.caa.co.uk/customers/i-have-a-future-booking-and-have-not-travelled-yet/
    Holidays booked directly with Monarch Holidays

Customers booked directly with Monarch Holidays are ATOL protected and will have received an ATOL Certificate when they made their booking.

If you booked directly with Monarch Holidays using a credit card, please contact your credit card issuer to make a claim for a refund.

And as said, both of my credit cards have said to do it via ATOL as its what their Disputes team have told them the correct procedure is!

There is also this:

moneysavingexpert.com/news/travel/2017/10/monarch-customers-to-be-sent-atol-claim-forms-by-wednesday?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
    The directing of ATOL-protected Monarch Holiday customers to claim via their credit card, is part of a long-standing agreement between the CAA and the credit card providers.

So does this now mean if I put an ATOL claim in, it will be rejected, even though both my credit card companies arent interested?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure