Bank interview help!

Hi,
I have an interview on Wednesday for Nationwide.
in this you have to do 5 minutes talking about one of their products.

I've chosen their flex plus current account - £13 per month
I have all the facts I would like to talk about.

How do i talk about my points? in a way as if the interviewers were customers looking to buy the product or in a way to just explain the product?

I AM PANICKING. ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.

on the interview help guide it said this:

As part of your face to face interview you are asked to prepare to talk for five minutes about a Nationwide product of your choice.
we want you to select one Nationwide financial product or service and prepare yourself to talk about it to your interviewer(s) for about 5 minutes at the start of your interview. The interviewers will then ask you a few questions about the product or service. The aim of this exercise is to provide the interviewers with additional information on your ability to talk about a financial product in a positive manner, communicate your messages clearly, and relate to customers.
This exercise will be part of the interview and you will be sat down while you talk about your product. This is an informal talk and not a presentation, so you don’t need to worry about producing anything like handouts, or presentation materials for the interviewers.

Preparation:
You will probably want to prepare some notes for yourself, listing the key points that you need to cover during your talk. You are advised to keep these brief so that you don’t just end up reading a prepared script. Any notes you make will be just for your own use and won’t count towards your assessment. You are not expected to become an expert in the product or service that you choose, but you should look carefully at what it offers to customers and be able to highlight the main features and benefits. You should also try to identify any groups of customer who would most benefit and least benefit; for example worldwide travel insurance is unlikely to interest anyone who never travels outside the UK.

Comments

• xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    The aim of this exercise is to provide the interviewers with additional information on your ability to talk about a financial product in a positive manner, communicate your messages clearly, and relate to customers.
  • grahamgoo
    grahamgoo Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    5 minutes will go VERY quickly so you will need to consider which points/benefits you are going to talk about carefully.

All the information you need will be on the NW website, so get to know the product thoroughly and decide which benefits you think are the best.

I think just describing the product is what they are after.

Start with a brief description of what the account is - i.e. "The Flex Direct account is a packaged account which offers lots of benefits to a wide spectrum of customers, costing just £10 per month (increasing to £13 in Sept)".

The go through the highlights of the benefits. e.g. "the account gives 3% in credit interest on balances up to £2500 which is one of the highest current account rates on the market and will appeal to many people with savings languishing in standard savings accounts" . Note I have put a description of the benefit and who that would be good for as they have asked. You could repeat this for however many of the main benefits you have time for - there are 6 on the website although there may not be time to go through them all.

Importantly - practice. Initially on your own and then with a family member or friend. Do this a few times and time yourself, so you can work out how many of the benefits you can get through without rushing or going on too much within the 5 minutes.

Good luck :-)
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I think the worst thing you can do is not get all your points out within the 5 minutes - as others have said, it'll go by in a flash, so practice and time yourself!
  • BDDazza
    BDDazza Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    aqsa wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have an interview on Wednesday for Nationwide.
    in this you have to do 5 minutes talking about one of their products.

I've chosen their flex plus current account - £13 per month
    I have all the facts I would like to talk about.

How do i talk about my points? in a way as if the interviewers were customers looking to buy the product or in a way to just explain the product?

I AM PANICKING. ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.

on the interview help guide it said this:

As part of your face to face interview you are asked to prepare to talk for five minutes about a Nationwide product of your choice.
    we want you to select one Nationwide financial product or service and prepare yourself to talk about it to your interviewer(s) for about 5 minutes at the start of your interview. The interviewers will then ask you a few questions about the product or service. The aim of this exercise is to provide the interviewers with additional information on your ability to talk about a financial product in a positive manner, communicate your messages clearly, and relate to customers.
    This exercise will be part of the interview and you will be sat down while you talk about your product. This is an informal talk and not a presentation, so you don’t need to worry about producing anything like handouts, or presentation materials for the interviewers.

Preparation:
    You will probably want to prepare some notes for yourself, listing the key points that you need to cover during your talk. You are advised to keep these brief so that you don’t just end up reading a prepared script. Any notes you make will be just for your own use and won’t count towards your assessment. You are not expected to become an expert in the product or service that you choose, but you should look carefully at what it offers to customers and be able to highlight the main features and benefits. You should also try to identify any groups of customer who would most benefit and least benefit; for example worldwide travel insurance is unlikely to interest anyone who never travels outside the UK.

Hi. I can't help you with your specific question because I have no clue about NatWest products. But all interviews will ask you two general questions. Why do you want to work here and do you work better independently or in a team. I found two videos that can help you. Just tailor it and make it your own :)

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    aqsa wrote: »

Aren't the two options basically the same thing? You need to explain what the product is and what it's benefits are to a potential customer.
  • 10pence
    10pence Posts: 348 Forumite
    I've got an interview on Tuesday with the exact same thing and I've looked at it like this: 'sale me something'.

The most important thing here is to let your personality shine through, people buy off people. As someone mentioned, give them a feature/benefit and relate it to that person.

Have a look here: LINK and you'll see how the Nationwide offering compares with other banks. I could link in how the 3% savings could nearly pay for the account and if they have a family the smart phone insurance covers the family and if they need to claim it won't affect their home insurance, for example.

And then give a strong close;

'We've for a market leading product here that even Martin Lewis likes, why don't you?'

'That's how this bank account will help you and your family, shall we get started?'

Just so you know this is my third round for this role, it was only supposed to be 2 rounds but myself and the others interviewed really well.

Good luck
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    From the description in the OP this sounds like a customer services role where you will be expected to help customers understand the products - not hard selling and not financial advice.

Two quick suggestions:

1. Don't talk about your competitors products unless the other person mentions them first - you can say it's market leading (if it is), but don't compare them - everything has pros and cons and you don't want your customer thinking about the pros of other products.

2. Don't try for the pushy close in an interview - it can come across as overconfident and challenging, which isn't what they'll want if they "want to see how you can talk about a financial product in a positive manner, communicate your messages clearly, and relate to customers."

It says you'll have your 5 minutes and then the interviewer will ask you some questions.

Be friendly.
    Be helpful.
    Don't try and be a 'salesman'

Also - don't be afraid to say 'I'm not 100% sure of the answer to that question and don't want to give you the wrong information but I can find out and let you know' - they'll be at least one question I expect.

Come back and let us know how it goes?

Good Luck.
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • Mrs_Soup
    Mrs_Soup Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    10pence wrote: »
    I've got an interview on Tuesday with the exact same thing and

'We've for a market leading product here that even Martin Lewis likes, why don't you?'

'That's how this bank account will help you and your family, shall we get started?'

Just so you know this is my third round for this role, it was only supposed to be 2 rounds but myself and the others interviewed really well.

Good luck

If someone used those lines on me I would be out of the door- way too pushy, not what I would want in a member of staff from nationwide. And the first one makes no sense- you don't know if they like it or not- they haven't got a word in edgewise.
  • Nationwide is a building society, not a bank.

Some years ago I had a job interview at what was then the post office along these lines of having to do a sit down talk, it wasn't one that stuck out just remember I got through the interview and that they changed the 'interview intinery' on the day. Though I picked the first slot so it was always subject to not going to plan as I think the talk happened at the end, in the end. Perhaps it was to my advantage who knows!

For this organisation I might be tempted to break into bit of a poem to give it some uniqueness!! Sorry couldn't resist!
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    10pence wrote: »
    I've got an interview on Tuesday with the exact same thing and I've looked at it like this: 'sale me something'.

The most important thing here is to let your personality shine through, people buy off people. As someone mentioned, give them a feature/benefit and relate it to that person.

Have a look here: LINK and you'll see how the Nationwide offering compares with other banks. I could link in how the 3% savings could nearly pay for the account and if they have a family the smart phone insurance covers the family and if they need to claim it won't affect their home insurance, for example.

Good luck
    Mrs_Soup wrote: »
    If someone used those lines on me I would be out of the door- way too pushy, not what I would want in a member of staff from nationwide. And the first one makes no sense- you don't know if they like it or not- they haven't got a word in edgewise.

What Mrs Soup said: If someone used those lines on me, not only would I not buy their product, I might even be moved to complain to their manager... I would be more likely to complain on social media about pushy salespeople in general and the Nationwide in particular; hardly good publicity for them.

The best sales techniques are those that do not come across as a sale at all, merely as giving information in a friendly, helpful manner which is relevant to that customer. HTH, good luck and please let us know how you get on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure