HSBC PPI during 1990s

Options

Comments

• amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,005 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You could request, in writing, all information they hold on you, this will cost £10 and they have 40 days to respond,make sure you request ALL information and not just loans you may have had.
    They may not find anything, but you won't know until you try.
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    amersall wrote: »
    You could request, in writing, all information they hold on you, this will cost £10 and they have 40 days to respond,make sure you request ALL information and not just loans you may have had.
    They may not find anything, but you won't know until you try.

I think they have already looked, and could not find anything about the loans. They did say they destroy information after a certain time, so I think they must have destroyed it.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Annie1960 wrote: »
    I think they have already looked, and could not find anything about the loans. They did say they destroy information after a certain time, so I think they must have destroyed it.

Typically minimum of 6 years after an account is closed they may consider destroying it in line with DPA rules but it's not always that way, some just archive them off so a front line team member can't see it
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You can risk £10 and make a Subject Access Request (SAR). The Bank is legally obliged to send all information which has been kept on file for you. If no information about the loans in question is sent then you can rest assured their records have been deleted.

However, you don't even appear sure that there was PPI attached to the loans so it's up to you whether you want to spend money pursuing this...
  • Annie1960
    Options
    You can risk £10 and make a Subject Access Request (SAR). The Bank is legally obliged to send all information which has been kept on file for you. If no information about the loans in question is sent then you can rest assured their records have been deleted.

However, you don't even appear sure that there was PPI attached to the loans so it's up to you whether you want to spend money pursuing this...

I am completely sure there was PPI and I was led to believe it was compulsory. I specifically recall it as I was a Civil Servant and covered by generous sick pay, and did not believe I would need the insurance. However, they told me it was to protect the bank, and they indicated that it was not optional if I wanted the loan.
  • Annie1960
    edited 23 March 2017 at 8:28PM
    Options
    How would I go about putting in a SAR request - do I go via my branch or is there a central address?

But before I send off for a SAR, has anyone else successfully got information over 6 years old from HSBC? The wording in the letter they sent me seems to be a cut-and-paste template:

'We have carried out an extensive search in accordance with guidance provided by the FOS of all our live and archived systems to locate any relevant information in order to trace you and to confirm whether we can identify whether you ever purchased a PPI policy from us.

These searches have included confirmation of whether you have ever obtained credit from us or entered into a credit agreement where we also sold PPI.

Our completed searches found no evidence to confirm PPI was attached to personal loan held with HSBC.

I confirm that the reference number quoted in your letter is for a bank account and therefore does not benefit from PPI.

Due to the Data Protection Act, HSBC cannot keep records indefinitely therefore if the PPI commenced over six years ago any records may have been destroyed.'

They then go on to ask me to send any paperwork I have showing PPI, and telling me about the FOS.

Obviously if I had had any old bank statements going back that far I would have included them with my form, but I don't.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    How would I go about putting in a SAR request - do i go via my branch or is there a central address?
    I think your best (and cheapest) option is to write to the Bank asking specifically about PPI. If they come back with no results, it's unlikely that a SAR will net you any more...

There are no SAR website links...
  • Nasqueron
    Options
    How would I go about putting in a SAR request - do i go via my branch or is there a central address?

Bearing in mind it's the 21st century, there may even be a website form I can fill in!

You can go to the branch or post to

UK Data Protection Office
    HSBC Bank
    Griffin House 1-01
    41 Silver Street Head
    Sheffield
    S1 3GG

As you need to pay £10 via cheque you can't really do it online. They have 40 days to respond. Do remember there is no guarantee any records will be left
  • Annie1960
    edited 26 March 2017 at 2:55PM
    Options
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    Typically minimum of 6 years after an account is closed they may consider destroying it in line with DPA rules but it's not always that way, some just archive them off so a front line team member can't see it

Does a personal loan count as a separate account?

I still have the same current account and linked savings account - they paid the first loan into the latter.

I think the loan repayments should be listed on old bank statements, but I haven't kept these, although Midland Bank may have these on microfiche.
  • Nasqueron
    Options
    Does a personal loan count as a separate account?

I still have the same current account and linked savings account - they paid the first loan into the latter.

I think the loan repayments should be listed on old bank statements, but I haven't kept these, although Midland Bank may have these on microfiche.

DSAR is a request for all the data they hold on you, it would include all the finance products they have records of
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure