Get a grip !

Options

Comments

• Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 April 2017 at 6:07PM
    Options
    I must admit I keep old quilt covers too as they are useful as covers when painting to cover furniture or the carpet.

I am not great at DIY but have had to do it myself as ex-OH was away a lot for work (months at a time) and then after divorce I had to get on with it. Its more recently that I have struggled more. It can take me a day to paint one wall, so I do a room when I have a week off.

I only know basics about the boiler after heating engineers have shown me. They are all different so I probably wouldn't know the first thing about yours bobobski ;)

Well, I had my hair done today cut, colour, foils, blow dry £41 and had a nice relaxing 3 hours and free cups of tea. DS has "forgotten" to get his gf an easter egg so I sold him the one I got in sainsbobs (on offer) for her. My hairdresser told me about a shop round the corner from her and I went along and got a thorntons egg for his gf from me only £2.50 !! The same ones are on sale in my local shop for £4.99 :money:

I have an electric shower and dishwasher so its just boiling the kettle for hand wash and any bits that don't go in the dishwasher. However had a bit of a disaster with the dishwasher today :( Several of the wheels on the bottom basket have disintegrated over the last few months and I only had a few left. Another fell apart today, then another when DF tried to take one off to look at, so there are only 2 left and I cannot run the dishwasher with the bottom basket in with only 2 wheels as it stops the hot water arm from spinning. So I have had to order 8 replacement wheels. Cheapest could find was £25.55. They only clip on so I should be able to manage those next week once they arrive.

Have tried to order Chinese from our usual place and it is shut !! Have ordered from another local one, don't know what its like but its being delivered at 7pm. DP's have gone to pub - don't blame them !! I didn't feel up to going as I have walked to hairdressers and back today (30 mins each way) and then to local shops this afternoon for dishwasher tablets as we can still use top basket.

Local co-op was £4.59 for 24 all-in-one dishwasher tablets but the spar opposite was only £2.59 for 20 all-in-one. Also got a loaf of bread kings mill 50/ 50 was £1.89 in spar, but on offer at 90p in co-op and got some wrapping paper for friends 50th tomorrow from local card/sweet shop 50p a sheet. Am looking forward to going out tomorrow
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hello I wrote you a lovely long message but the internet went down. Anyway here is take two:

My DIY skills are pants. Thank goodness for builder friend he is great at taking me to carboots too and does everything DIY as I am rubbish.

Glad you had hair done it sounds dead glam. I hope you have lots of fun tomorrow with your friends . I'm going to town centre tomorrow and I don't know how long I can last but I'll give it a go.

Good that you have a second Chinese restaurant by you, they are scarce round by me. I hope the meal is nice. Am dead jealous! It's good you have a Coop nearby we have two stores about 10 mins away but I tend to go to one only as I am lazy.

I do hope the water gets fixed soon and so sorry about the dishwasher. I don't have one but it must be awful with one playing up when you have a full house.

Have a goodnight all and hope the weekend goes well for everyone.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Had a fab day out yesterday for friends 50th. We met in local pub & birthday girls OH had given her money for wine to share I had 2 small glasses and felt a bit squiffy so decided to not drink till after the meal. I am such a lightweight I cannot drink much any more

7 of us shared a taxi to the restaurant and met the others. There was 12 of us in total and thankfully we had a room in the restaurant to ourselves - imagine 12 women and party games - not to mention fake moustaches - and you get the picture :o;)

Total spends
    shared taxis £3.50
    meal £16.95
    half jug cocktails £5.00 = £25.45

Birthday pressie £10 card £2 & wrapping paper 50p paid out of xmas / birthday account.

Food was fab, one of the girls had baked a cake and made individual cup cakes too. Some of the girls went on to the bars to carry on drinking but me and 2 others shared a taxi back home.
    Am not hungover so I am pleased with that as it is DP's last day here today. DS was on late shift yesterday so home at 11.30pm and is on nights tonight so we will all have a family sunday lunch. DP's bought a huge lamb joint and DM might make real yorkie puds

Happy Easter :easter_ba
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    It sounds great. Happy Easter.
  • bobobski
    bobobski Posts: 771 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Hi SYA, I love the word "squiffy"! Being a lightweight is a good thing - I'm at the stage where a bottle of wine barely gets me tipsy (I'm working on that though) and that's expensive! Sounds like you had an amazing time though without spending too much at all which is fab.

Hope you have a lovely last day with your parents and Happy Easter!
  • Skint_yet_Again
    edited 17 April 2017 at 11:35AM
    Options
    Had a lovely day with DP's yesterday and a nice roast dinner. There is lots of lamb left over so that will do a few meals.

Am feeling a bit deflated today as they have now gone home. :( DS has been in bed since yesterday with an awful chesty cough and hasn't been able to eat properly so not sure if he is going to be working tonight. The forecast today was cloudy and rain but it is warm and sunny at the moment so bedding is now out and hopefully will dry on the line.

Have checked online banking and moved money around to pay credit card bill including fence deposit, teeth and line rental saver. Should have enough in bills account/emergency fund to pay off the rest of the fence and house insurance on next months credit card bill. Hoping the boiler doesn't cost too much to fix as may need to use savings. DP's kindly gave me £60 towards shopping / boiler repairs bless 'em. I tried to refuse but they wouldn't let me.

Am just going for a walk whilst its warm and dry - no other plans for today may just chill and read. Have a good bank holiday Monday everyone x

Living off savings diary
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Sorry that DPs have gone but it's good you have food in.

I hope your son has a good rest and you do too. Sometimes it is best to do nothing and just chill. I am dying to mow grass but I have to wait for weed and feed to settle in. I have not a lot to do so I will clean skirting boards but am reading first to rest.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    edited 17 April 2017 at 7:50PM
    Options
    You have been very busy over the last few weeks SW so it is good that you are resting.

I had a fairly restful day today, I had a nice walk earlier and managed to get bedding dried on the line. It was still warm and dry so I gave the cushion covers from the living room a quick wash and freshen up and they have dried on the line too. It has been a very quiet day ! Have watched some tv & had a snooze.

The "green bin" collection is tomorrow saving another trip to the tip, I think the bin has paid for itself now in petrol saved.

I am supposed to be meeting up with a friend this week but I may have to put it off as I am still not sure when the heating engineer is coming and I have to phone the Doctors in the morning. Will see what the week brings.

Ex-OH came round today to see DS and they went off out for lunch. Ex said he has a mate who is gas safe registered & will fix my boiler if the heating engineer doesn't turn up.

I have a long list of jobs to do the rest of this week the forecast for tomorrow is warm and sunny so hope to get some done then.

Its just started raining now 7.50 pm ! Not quite as forecast. Hope tomorrow is nice.

Living off savings diary
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Glad Ex knows someone and hope he is able to help.

I have to see one friend tomorrow and another one the day after and have my plastering done and tidy up this week too. Nightmare. We are both in a pickle. I hope the weather gets warmer though.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    edited 18 April 2017 at 11:55AM
    Options
    Miracle of miracles, I rang the Doctors surgery at 8am and managed to get an appointment for 9am. The Doctor who wrote to ENT has had a reply but the Doc I saw today couldn't see the reply so I have to wait for the original Doc to write to me :mad: This is ridiculous that I have to wait for a letter. Also discussed diabetes and she has referred me to dietician, in the meantime I have to take the second lot of pills now prescribed. Am fed up of feeling ill & tired. Doc says tiredness is side effect of diabetes & may improve with low carbing and new pills - all other tests came back normal which is good news.

Its a lovely sunny day but a bit chilly, I called into Aldi on the way home and got some low carb foods and am going to eat a similar low carb diet to DS but not as much meat !! I have had an omelette for breakfast, 2 eggs a few mushrooms & a slice of ham.

The washing machine is just finishing and I am going to hang towels out and then use my long handled sponge and the hose pipe and wash the back windows and upvc guttering on the lower floor of my half height extension as it is really grubby. Hopefully it wont be too hard as I struggle to get my hands above my head due to my back problems The upstairs rear windows need doing but they are tilt and turn so can be cleaned by opening inwards and the top roof guttering is too high but thankfully is still white and shiny as was only replaced 1-2 years ago
    I am also going to spray the weeds in the alleyway at the rear of the house with weedkiller to keep them down. The green bin has been emptied so I need to drag that round the back before I spray the alley.
    I think that will probably be enough for today !

Living off savings diary
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback