Cheap calls though 18185 - experiences please?

Comments

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Stompa wrote: »
    Their prices change pretty frequently, I'm not sure I'd expect to be informed every time.
    Some of their international call charges may well do that but changes to the charge for calling UK 01/02 numbers are rare.

When I started using 18185 ten years ago, their connection charge was 4p (with their call rate being 0p/minute) but, from about 16 January 2007, the connection charge went up to 5p (with the call rate remaining at 0p/minute) - and it's been that way for the past 8½ years!

I'd prefer it hadn't gone up but time will tell whether my daytime useage means I'll be better off with an inclusive package for UK calls (whilst retaining 18185 for my 1p/minute calls to Spain).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Heinz wrote: »
    Some of their international call charges may well do that but changes to the charge for calling UK 01/02 numbers are rare.

When I started using 18185 ten years ago, their connection charge was 4p (with their call rate being 0p/minute) but, from about 16 January 2007, the connection charge went up to 5p (with the call rate remaining at 0p/minute) - and it's been that way for the past 8½ years!

I'd prefer it hadn't gone up but time will tell whether my daytime useage means I'll be better off with an inclusive package for UK calls (whilst retaining 18185 for my 1p/minute calls to Spain).

FYI, in 2004, 18866 was charging 0.99p for the connect charge.

Happy days :)
  • polymaff wrote: »
    FYI, in 2004, 18866 was charging 0.99p for the connect charge.

Happy days :)

18185 charged 1p connection charge when I first started using them, and it gradually went to 2p, 3p, 4p to the current 5p.

Nowadays, I hardly use 18185 at all as I have so many 'free' minutes on my mobile. But it is invaluable for the occasional call abroad.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • rdr
    rdr Posts: 400 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    For the last couple of days they have also been withholding the caller's number when we make outgoing calls.This could be a deal breaker for us for two reasons:
    • My Dad's line will not accept calls from withheld numbers.
    • My android phone is set up to only ring for family numbers after 10:30, so now if I am away on business I either have to get the family to use their modiles or get woken up by PPI calls.
    Who is the next cheapest override supplier?
  • rdr wrote: »
    For the last couple of days they have also been withholding the caller's number when we make outgoing calls.This could be a deal breaker for us for two reasons:
    • My Dad's line will not accept calls from withheld numbers.
    • My android phone is set up to only ring for family numbers after 10:30, so now if I am away on business I either have to get the family to use their modiles or get woken up by PPI calls.
    Who is the next cheapest override supplier?

That could just be a temporary or occasional thing. I don't know if it still happens but using 18185 for calls used to sometimes result in 'International' coming up on the called phone. It's all to do with 18185 using the cheapest available line at the the time.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • Thought I'd check and found that 18866 is now showing 0.5 as well. Disappointing but not surprising.:(
  • Further to the above answer, 18866 has - now - also imposed a 0.5p per minute charge for UK landline calls! To be fair, they do tell you the per minute cost, as each call is dialled - but I think it's bad that they have not given advance warning... Their cost is still far lower than BT, so I will not be cancelling - unless anyone knows of an even better deal? (Have used 18866 for many years without any real problems.)
  • Ypaymore
    Ypaymore Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    edited 23 September 2015 at 8:22PM
    If you call the same person . If you both get a couple of old/cheap 2/3g mobile phones you can call each other free if you get a couple of http://www.delightmobile.co.uk/ sim cards .

FUP 3000 minutes.No top up needed.Piggy Backs on EE.
    http://www.delightmobile.co.uk/pay-as-you-go/offers/free-calls-and-texts.aspx
  • Ypaymore wrote: »
    If you call the same person . If you both get a couple of old/cheap 2/3g mobile phones you can call each other free if you get a couple of http://www.delightmobile.co.uk/ sim cards .

FUP 3000 minutes.No top up needed.Piggy Backs on EE.
    http://www.delightmobile.co.uk/pay-as-you-go/offers/free-calls-and-texts.aspx

Interestingly Delight does not include 3 in its comparision with other providers. Presumably because both rates are the same.
  • Interestingly Delight does not include 3 in its comparision with other providers. Presumably because both rates are the same.

Whilst Three (the network) has fantastic pay-as-you-go rates, one issue if you want to use them is that you need a 3G capable handset - and all the super-cheap handsets out there are 2G only. So that's something to factor into the equation. Another issue is that Three's coverage isn't as comprehensive as the other networks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure