The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

BT Cessation fee

Comments

• I've recently changed my phone line rental from BT and broadband from PlusNet to a combined deal with Sky with half price line rental, free broadband for a year and £50 credit on phone bills. Great deal and sky did all the work and I thought that was that. I contacted PlusNet as I'd paid a final month's rental (£9.99) on the day of the changeover and as it was in advance I thought they would refund it. I contacted them and was told not to cancel my direct debit as they'd refund my money to that. Not hearing anything else I contacted them again 2 weeks later and they told me I owed them a 'BT cease fee' as Sky had changed my line (and phone number) amounting to £30.00. Does anyone know if this is right? It came as a total surprise and when I queried whether BT should be billing me for this PlusNet said they were claiming it and would pay it back to BT... They also refused at first to send me an invoice, saying I had to queue on their phone line for however long and pay over the phone. I insisted they send me a bill and they've now emailed me an invoice but with no instructions on how to pay.... I'm not really sure whether to actually pay it... has anyone else had the same problem?
    Thanks
  • Think it's in Plusnet's T&Cs, extract below:

10. Ending your agreement
    10.1. Where our agreement ends (even after the expiry of any minimum term) you may be charged a "cessation fee" as set out in the Price Guide where:
    10.1.1. you cancel your service without transferring providers;
    10.1.2. you transfer to a service where: (i) the provider uses their own network to provide the service, or (ii) the provider uses BT's network like us, but they have their own equipment in your local exchange (often called Local Loop Unbundling); or
    10.1.3. the phone line used to provide your service is cut off.
  • Looks like I'll have pay up - there's always something lurking in the small print...
    Thank you :)
  • I've got intouch with BT and realised I'm out of contract with them.
    I asked if I could leave at any time but they said I would be charged a £31 broadband disconnection charge?
    Does this sound correct? That makes it sound as if they are trying to keep me from going?
    Thanks
  • redfox
    redfox Posts: 15,338
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,287
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    There is a £30 cease fee if you don't migrate to another supplier and just cease

Standard fee
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • kimplus8
    kimplus8 Posts: 968
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    It depends are you planning on moving to another supplier or just no longer have a connection. If you switch it costs nothing but to disconnect completely attracts a fee unfortunately.
    Saving for a house in 2025 LISA £7726/£15000 Emergency Fund £1000/£6000 No spend Year 2023
  • Thankyou for replying. I was going to have a look around to see has the best tv/broadband deal at the moment.
    So again thanks for your help.
  • I have finally had the last straw of plusnet overcharging me on my econamy package (Had the same usage rate since internet started not changed my usage BT my previous company used to ALWAYS tell me I was well within my usage limit and the overpayment just so hapens to ALWAYS be £12.99)
    Anyway so I tell them I am leaving can I have my code. They say there is no code but there is a charge for £30 to leave ! NEVER at any point ever had to pay anyone to leave a internet company before, I have been with them for years well out of my contract.
    I have had nothing but apoaling service from them we are talking getting fed up with a page loading going downstairs making a cup of tea coming back upstairs AND THE SAME PAGE IS STILL LOADING ! Dial up used to be quicker !I have not even had internet at all for 2 days !
    Do I actually have to pay £30 to leave this ?
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,698
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 21 September 2016 at 9:21PM
    Yes. But if you join BT you won't pay it.

https://www.plus.net/help/my-account/charges-for-removing-broadband/

Great deal to join sky at the moment though, see the main part of mse
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills