Neighbours roof extension overhangs boundary

Options
So I live in a terraced house, and last year my neighbours made a modification to their rear extension by raising the height of the roof by approximately 16". This therefore required some alterations to the adjoining roof tiles.

I have uploaded some photos of what was completed by my neighbours' builder at link below.
http://imgur.com/a/H2O0k

You can see that they haven't done a great job with the joining part!...(long term I don't think this is suitable), however at the back of my mind I was aware that I was planning to knock down and re-build the rear extension to my home anyway as part of a larger kitchen refurb at some point in the future.

The main worry I have is that their extension roof structure overhangs my boundary by approx. 2", and I'm concerned how this might affect any future works I might undertake on my property,.. i.e. how do I tie-in to my neighbours extension?

Whilst I'm not quite ready to start these works (maybe a few years away), I'm concerned that if I don't raise this as an issue to my neighbours soon, then the overhang might be deemed as permitted as I've left it so long to object or at least raise it has a potential issue/observation for future works I might be doing?

Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Comments

• Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    Pragmatic answer is I would not be falling out over the small overhang. Who knows where the true boundary line is defined? But I have concerns with the work. Painting blockwork is a rubbish concept - that is why render exists.

There is no gutter on the flat roof edge - what direction does the roof fall?

Most important, you will get rain in your roof dripping off the felt overhang - look at the gap that exists in your photo 3. Something needs sealing/flashing here.

All round a poor job, but it is too late to converse with the neighbour on aesthetics.
  • Zekko
    Zekko Posts: 208 Forumite
    Options
    Furts wrote: »
    Pragmatic answer is I would not be falling out over the small overhang. Who knows where the true boundary line is defined? But I have concerns with the work. Painting blockwork is a rubbish concept - that is why render exists.

There is no gutter on the flat roof edge - what direction does the roof fall?

Most important, you will get rain in your roof dripping off the felt overhang - look at the gap that exists in your photo 3. Something needs sealing/flashing here.

All round a poor job, but it is too late to converse with the neighbour on aesthetics.

Thanks.
    Yes, I certainly do not want to fall out with my neighbours over this. The finish is indeed very poor and not a great long term solution. There is no guttering around the flat roof, so the water is free to drop down in to the gap shown in photo 3, it is already causing some damage to my facia, where you can see cracks appearing.

I think in the first instance my neighbour needs to get this properly rectified to prevent any further long term damage, and then I can casually mention that I am looking at doing an extension in the future.
  • Zola.
    Zola. Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mention it now or it will be a big issue down the road when you have larger issues arising..
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    Zekko wrote: »
    Thanks.
    Yes, I certainly do not want to fall out with my neighbours over this. The finish is indeed very poor and not a great long term solution. There is no guttering around the flat roof, so the water is free to drop down in to the gap shown in photo 3, it is already causing some damage to my facia, where you can see cracks appearing.

I think in the first instance my neighbour needs to get this properly rectified to prevent any further long term damage, and then I can casually mention that I am looking at doing an extension in the future.

It depends how you get on with the neighbour. I admit it is a bodge job suggestion, but it will work, and it will match the rest of the work - put a piece of Hyload dpc there as a flashing, tacked to the fascia, tucked under their felt, and silicone to your tiles. Quick, cheap, easy and when your extension gets built you could do a permanent junction detail.
  • friskie
    Options
    Thanks.

You should leave at least a 150mm gap between your neighbours' extension and your extension. Although, if possible, I would advise joining your extension to your neighbours' and eradicating the gap as such as small gap may cause problems further down the line, such as if you need to re-render or repair the side of your extension. Of course, you will need to speak to your neighbour and discuss what's possible. If you're set on having a gap, leave at least 150mm between your boundary and theirs. Hope this helps!
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 August 2017 at 8:54AM
    Options
    Why 150mm, specifically?

OP, I'd be more worried about the potential damp problem than the 2". It doesn't make much of a difference in the grand scheme and who knows where the true boundary is.

I'd use their wall to build off. Lord knows it isn't attractive and they're just at risk of damp as you are with that sort of 'finishing'. You'd be doing them a favour.

Party Wall Act would apply, but it also would have applied to their build and you can tell there's no PWA for that shower.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you ever want to sell your home then something encroaching over your boundary could well cause problems. No surveyor worth his salt would advise a buyer to proceed with such a purchase.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    LadyDee wrote: »
    If you ever want to sell your home then something encroaching over your boundary could well cause problems. No surveyor worth his salt would advise a buyer to proceed with such a purchase.

Not true. How does said surveyor even know where the boundary line is?

The surveyor would pick up the building work as a risk, certainly, but not 2" of potential overhang. What if it were actually a party wall and not just a boundary wall? That would certainly overhang the boundary and be meant to. I'm building one right now in prime Central London.

I'm guessing by the neighbour's back wall, extension quality and lack of PWA that this isn't prime Central London.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options

You're sure you didn't casually mention it before? ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure