Tales from the city

Options

Comments

• ani*fan
    ani*fan Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks inod. It really is lovely of them, I still can't quite believe it but I did get on my spreadsheets yesterday and knock that debt and the repayments off. We are in such a stronger position because of this. The relief is unbelievable.

We haven't done loads of work on the flat this week as we are both exhausted with it all. I've a few things to finish up for my training course which ends soon so I've been doing that, and preparing for the summer break. OH is off work today and tomorrow, and we will both be off for a couple of weeks in July. We're planning to visit some friends for a few days but other than that, just stay home, do some diy and arrange some things as and when we feel like it, like getting the chimney swept, and take it easy. There's been a lot to deal with lately. We need a break. I've come to realise that my enormous list of things that need doing is not going to go down fast, so we need to settle in for the long haul.

My minimum payments have been made this month so I need to update my total. No overpayments yet but there is still some month left so we'll see. I got my dad a wee gift for Father's Day yesterday and posted it off. I wish I had more space at the minute to go and visit my family but it's just not to be. Ah well.

Happy debt busting everyone. :)
    If you know you have enough, you're rich. ;)
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have made a major mistake with the cash. In all the fuss of the house move, I forgot to move money into the account one of my CCs is paid from. The £25 DD bounced. I noticed and paid it manually a couple of days later.

I have been charged £10 by the bank and also have 2 x £9 charges from Virgin CC. I thought that'd be the end of it and planned to phone them and ask to get the charges refunded. You can only ask, right? However, I've now noticed £20.56 of interest has been added to this card. After a quick search on here, I realised I have lost the 0% deal.

Total cost so far of this mistake = £48.56. :eek: Seriously?

Potential further costs due to interest being added until planned 0% deal ends in October next year = £320.

Grand total £368.56

This is a total reminder of how scary this debt juggling game can be. One small mistake and suddenly you're in trouble again. Fortunately it's my smaller Virgin card, £1400 -ish on it now and not the other one which is closer to £5k. It could be worse. I'm gutted, but also on it to find a solution.

This card will now need to be paid off and closed. We have cash in the wedding fund we can do that with but that'll leave us short for the wedding. With all our other priorities just now this is not ideal. We have £1k flat deposit due back to us which we'd planned to put towards the new windows. That cash might need to be redirected now. OH may be able to balance transfer it to her 0% CC, I might be able to transfer some to my other one, I don't know and will need to look into it today and find out how much that would cost.

This could easily be a disaster but we have resources to deal with it. Thankfully. Wish me luck as I try to sort it out today, lovely people. :)
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good luck ani, what a pain!
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10552.61/£15000 (70.4% saved). Emergency fund - £1428.98/£1500 (95.3% saved).
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks misstara, it is a pain indeed. I meant to post my congrats on your diary about your original debt being gone, you're amazing, what an inspiration, well done!! :D

Part of me also thinks this CC problem is the universe giving me a wee nudge about the debt. I'd definitely been resting on my laurels there, or rather on my 0% CCs, and not worrying too much. If we end up using the flat deposit and wedding fund (need to wait for OH to wake up and chat about it) then the race is on to get the wedding fund topped up again before October and work out another plan for the windows. But the debt would shrink to £6,750. Omg, now that would be wonderful. :D Under £7k?? Amazing!
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OH was in agreement about using the deposit and wedding fund. So I've just paid my Virgin credit card in full. :j:beer::T:rotfl::beer::j:T

Debt today
    £6,750

Wow. :)

The situation now is:

HSBC £4950
    Overdraft £1800

Down to 2 debts. Yippee! :D
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Brilliant news and a timely reminder. I'm quite capable of working out how bills will be paid then forgetting to actually make the payment. So far, I've remembered in time but it's always a niggle.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ani*fan wrote: »
    I meant to post my congrats on your diary about your original debt being gone, you're amazing, what an inspiration, well done!

Thanks ani :D and congratulations on being under 7k :T:T
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10552.61/£15000 (70.4% saved). Emergency fund - £1428.98/£1500 (95.3% saved).
  • Eager_Elephant
    Eager_Elephant Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Phew, crisis averted. Well done on paying another card off.

If it happens again, which I know it wont try to call them. I once bounced a DD on a 0% card and as it was my first time they removed the fee and reinstated the 0%.
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    That was good of them Eager_Elephant, I don't think I've ever heard of CC people being nice. These things are always worth a try, so I'll be phoning them today to try and get the charges dropped. We'll see.

It does feel good to have another card paid off though. Still smiling about that today. :D

We took the future in-laws out for Sunday lunch yesterday to celebrate Father's Day. I had a lovely time but we spent more than I'd budgeted for. Hmm. Worth it though.

This should be a very quiet week with no extra spends or anything. Good.

Happy debt busting. :)
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Also meant to mention, we still haven't sorted out the finance for the windows. We're waiting to hear about the grant and 0% loan, and we have a guy coming to properly measure up on Wednesday after which the windows will get made so we have to pay for them. I'm a tad worried about that. It should work out but you never know.

Also, in an attempt to seperate this CC debt and overdraft from new debt such as the windows, we've been having a think about not really knowing what the previous debt got acccrued for. OH has started referring to the CC debt as pizza debt. :o Which it probably was.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure