What is your 5k personal best?

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to see what everyone's 5k personal best is? I am 21 and did one a few days ago and managed to get 22 minutes and 9 seconds. I must say I wasn't in a good way after, very short of breath and my legs still ache!

Andrew

Comments

• Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    That's the correct way to be in after a 5k :wink: 5ks are horrible. Although if your legs are still aching days after the race you should probably do more stretching.

Mine is 20:39. Without knowing anything about your ability or fitness, if it was your first go at a 5k you've probably got room to improve upon that. Remember that even 10 seconds off your PB is a big achievement over such a short distance. Congratulations :)
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 20 April 2017 at 11:08AM
    Mine is currently 19:26 (Actually took 25 secs off my PB in one go to set that) but that is on a relatively hilly course with a 6 mile run to the parkrun before doing that time. I actually ran 19:11 as the last 5k of a 10k race I did last Sunday so hopefully will bring it down to sub 19 on a flat course.

Been running about 2 yrs now but currently marathon training for a marathon at the end of June. So doing lots of miles which has been making 5ks easier.

Edit: For completion 19:26 is an age grade score of 69.73 % for me.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,617 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just to raise the numbers a bit - PB is 32:54. I will be 50 next month and only started running at the end of the summer (and then was injured for the whole of Dec/Jan). After I recover from fixing the next thing that seems to have gone wrong (cataract) I hope to get back into training again as I was aiming for a 10k.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Mine is 33:57 outside, (28 something on a treadmill which doesn't really count).

This was 2 years ago when I was 45 and the wrong side of 17 stone after completing the C25K programme.

Was meant to do the Birmingham Half last year but due to circumstances had to drop out and haven't ran of quite along time but determined to get back into the swing of it soon
  • Malthusian wrote: »
    That's the correct way to be in after a 5k :wink: 5ks are horrible. Although if your legs are still aching days after the race you should probably do more stretching.

Mine is 20:39. Without knowing anything about your ability or fitness, if it was your first go at a 5k you've probably got room to improve upon that. Remember that even 10 seconds off your PB is a big achievement over such a short distance. Congratulations :)

My previous PB was 23:49 but I actually set this while doing a 10k, it was the first 5k that I got this. This was the first time I actually set about doing 5k as quickly as I could.

Wow that is a great time. Very well done on that :beer: I would love to go under 20 minutes but definitely going to take some training!
  • Mine is 33:57 outside, (28 something on a treadmill which doesn't really count).

This was 2 years ago when I was 45 and the wrong side of 17 stone after completing the C25K programme.

Was meant to do the Birmingham Half last year but due to circumstances had to drop out and haven't ran of quite along time but determined to get back into the swing of it soon

Yeah you should get back into it. I find its just having the motivation to actually get up and go for the run. Once I am out running I love it! Half marathon would be amazing to do, would love to do one this year or next. Furthest I have ran is just over 7 miles and that hurt!
  • indesisiv
    @BrookesAndrew if you can run 7 miles then you would be able to run a half. Are you running everything flat out? It may be worth slowing down a bit in training and enjoying your miles more.
    To be fair I have only raced one half marathon and I was really struggling by mile 12 due to an injury (think the last mile was around 12 mins lol) but managed to come home in 1hr 33. One day I will race another one, but I just really dislike road races. I had been running about 9 months when I did that half.

You are half my age so should be able to get up to that distance.

Oh and 5k's raced properly are just hard work. I tend to ease back for the middle mile and recover. I've never actually raced one flat out due to the fact I run them as the middle of a 15 mile run, so know I still need to run 6 miles home afterwards. One day I will try and race one properly.
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    It used to be 23 minutes, but that was a few years ago and I've fallen off the bandwagon since then. I'm doing my first Parkrun tomorrow and am cringing at the thought of how long it's going to take me :o
  • indesisiv
    That's a good effort fairy lights. Parkrun is great for getting back into it as everyone is so friendly. I've met loads of people who I train with now through parkrun, also see many others at races too.
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv wrote: »
    Mine is currently 19:26

Not true any more .... my 5k PB is now 19:14.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport