help required

We've not had much luck in the last week. I'll run over the problems, any help greatly appreciated.

My Dad's worked at his factory for 39 years!... he's been told that next week on there is no work and he will be paid £20 a day, and subsequently the next 13 weeks will get (£0). If work picks up he will obviously be back else nothing!

He has a mortgage of £467 per month, with no work/redundancy cover? any new scheme taken needs to be informed of any possible problems so is there any way around, any help at all?

Myself, although not been made redundant but there are 28 redundancies at my work place... I have a mortgage of £423 a month, should I get cover? will it be covered?? sorry for question galore.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Have a look at the ACAS website for your dad, he will be able to claim, probably a bit for the first week then a full claim for any other weeks he is laid off.

If you apply for redundancy cover i think one of the questions they ask is do you know of any possible redundancies in your company or words to that effect. Ring them anyway and see what they say, but be 100% honest.
    These things can come back and bite you in the bum.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    :eek: No mortgage protection insurance already :eek: :eek: :eek: .

I guess you do have to be honest now when you apply for this.

BUT please please people - have this mortgage protection insurance cover....:cool: I never needed it in my day. People shouldnt need it now - but they do! Everyone was told when the D.W.P. changed the rules about payment of mortgage interest that they would now need to take out mortgage protection insurance.

So - anyone who hasnt got that insurance - people WERE told they needed to have it and take it out NOW! It is false economy not to have this. Remember that phrase "Your home is at risk.........". Your home is indeed at risk if you dont have this - you cant afford NOT to have it....
  • ImmyLFC
    ImmyLFC Posts: 60 Forumite
    Thanks for your replies guys.

Just want to asjThanks for your replies guys.
    Just want to ask, with my work not involving me with redundancies - just another team - do you think if I take the cover - I will be covered??
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    like i say the insurance people will ask you questions about redundancies within your company. They are covering themselves and in the present climate you cannot blame them.

To anyone else reading these posts, for goodness sake get yourslelve mortgage protection cover before it's too late
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport