local gov job.....criminal check help!

Hi.....my other half is in the process of applying for a job with local gov......a job that he would do really well in and would stand a good chance in getting, only trouble being that 9 yrs ago he served a prison sentence for a drug offence and the post requires a criminal check.............obviously this will show the details..but would they still give him an interview so he could have the chance to prove that he is the man for the job????......and even so if he did get an interview what would the chances be of an employer giving someone with a record a job? do employers overlook these in certain circumstances?

hope someone can help me.......it seems a stupid and foolish deed done years ago is stll haunting him
thanks in advance
£900 towards next holiday...ta very much Mr T x

Comments

• Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The check will have to be done and It's a harsh lesson that these things catch up with you. If he is open and honest about it to prospective employers that may go in his favour. In my experience the CRB check is done AFTER the interview anyway, before a person is in post, so they are done after a decision is made. In my town there is a recruitment agency specifically for ex offenders;)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Justicia
    Justicia Posts: 1,437 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sarahsaver wrote:
    In my experience the CRB check is done AFTER the interview anyway, before a person is in post, so they are done after a decision is made. In my town there is a recruitment agency specifically for ex offenders;)

In my experience overseeing received (Central Government) applications as well as making them, criminal record checks as with references, they are generally completed after an interview as it's a waste of time and resources (it costs them money) doing it beforehand as it's impossible to know who will be progressing further and therefore who needs to be checked.

If there is any chance of them accepting it was a one-off mistake (Government bodies do not like the of chance of there potentially being a future scandal involving them and can get very nervous) and that he is reliable, he needs to make an excellent impression in the interview as this may possibly be the only time they meet him before any checks are made.
    "Part P" is not, and has never been, an accredited electrical qualification. It is a Building Regulation. No one can be "Part P qualified."

Forum posts are not legal advice; are for educational and discussion purposes only, and are not a substitute for proper consultation with a competent, qualified advisor.
  • Plasticman
    Plasticman Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It all depends what the job is. In my experience a single offence 9 years ago may be forgiven (especially if he was young at the time), although as it resulted in a prison sentence they may decide he's not suitable. The most important thing is to be honest about it if asked. If you are required to put it on the application form then don't leave it off cos they'll realise and think he's dishonest. Good luck
    If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." -Thomas Jefferson 1802
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I woudn't worry too much, especially if it's one of the very many looney left councils we have in this country. :p

Someone I know served a longish prison sentence for a big fraud carried out at the bank they were working for. Afrer release from prison, they had no problem getting a responsible job with their local council.

If you are upfront, show you have nothing to hide & just want to now
    just work hard at a decent job,then you have a very good chance of succeeding.

Good luck to your other half at the interview.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • Tondella
    Tondella Posts: 934 Forumite
    He should have the opportunity to declare any criminal activity on the job application ahead of the CRB check. He should declare it, at which point he'll be asked to describe what the offence was. I'm sure the information will be considered fairly, the public sector are very good at that sort of stuff. It's a big plus that it was nine years ago too, presumably he's had a clean record since.
    Debt Oct 2005: £32,692.94
    Current debt: £14,000.00
    Debt free date: June 2008
  • Marmiter
    Marmiter Posts: 370 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I think that Local Government have to consider all applicants as part of the Equal Opportunities initiative.

Job applications are done (in my LG) on a points basis. You earn points according to how your application form fits in with the job spec, and if you acheive the correct amount of points then you are automatically asked to attend an assessment day.
    Shortlisting of candidates is according to Education, Skills, Experience and Knowledge of the job.
    The assessment day is a series of tests (literacy, numeracy) and if you pass those tests, then you are automatically asked back for an interview.
    Once again you are awarded points in the interview according to how you answer their questions, and the person with the highest number of points is given the job.

If your husband is right for the job, his criminal record shouldn't hold him back.
    I have sent you a PM.
  • Thanks all for your replies, hubby will be honest with them and will explain that it was a foolish and stupid mistake years ago that he has put down to experience ( a bad one) and has since got married had children etc.
    Fingers crossed eh!!! thanks again TT
    £900 towards next holiday...ta very much Mr T x
  • klare_2
    klare_2 Posts: 281 Forumite
    i hope you are right everyone who thinks it will be dealt with fairly, i work in this line of work ( people who generally have records) and my experience is not positive and for anything more than menial jobs, its quite rare for them to get to the next stage .. not saying it never happens but its not that often I dont care what their equal ops policy says.
    Lots of luck to him tho
    :EasterBun ...what more do I need to say?!
    its all in the name of medical science.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,018 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I know where klare's coming from, but I can only echo the advice that if there is a question on the application form then he should be honest about it. At that stage it may be just a box to tick, in which case that's all I'd do.

I used to help run an out of school club, and we had a box to tick on the form, which of course everyone ticked to say "No I don't have a criminal record." We did also say that a police check would be carried out. Well one person suddenly realised their past would catch up with them and asked to see me urgently and confidentially after we'd offered them a job, and told me about their past, which was a long time ago and in very different circumstances. I said fine, it wasn't a problem to me but I'd have to check with another member of the Management Team, who fortunately agreed with me.

If we'd done the check and it had come back with those convictions and they hadn't been honest we would have terminated their contract there and then.

Given that it's a long time ago, I don't suppose your OH is still in touch with any supporting organisations, but it might be worth contacting NACRO, especially if there is a local group who would help an ex-offender with the disclosure process.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport