PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Comments

• We don't have a baseball bat, but what we do have , and it lives in the umberella stand along with the walking poles is the spare pickaxe handle and a very,very substantial and heavy tribal ebony walking stick given to He Who Knows by friends coming back from Africa, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of either of those but, even in civilisation there can be problems that might make us glad to have them as a deterrent!!!
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    To say nothing of the mayhem you could cause with a chainsaw, which you can buy, no questions asked, at B&Q.

Groovy :rotfl:

Evil Dead reference to those scratching their heads...
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I have a shiny chainsaw bought at Aldi but it is a little unwieldy especially if I had to duct tape it to my arm Evil Dead style :D also have a huge decorative medieval sword in the garage but you would be hard pressed to cut butter with it. I keep a golf club in the hall and the police suggested to me once that I aim for the legs as it will stop the bu**ers but not be considered attempted murder.

We have had murders, people with bits cut off and flushed down the drains here but the worst was the guy stumbling past who I thought was wearing a red beret - it was his scalp sliced away :eek::eek::eek: in the past we have had phone calls from the kids saying our street is cordoned off or have gone out to find crime scene tape fluttering in the breeze. We tend not to look out the front window much as its not an aid to to good nights sleep.
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    I think it's a good choice WCS, midges and less variety in crops but peace quiet and good neighbours - compared to shops, amenities and nutters roaming the streets. I would just learn to like plainer food :D
    We get inundated on the preppers forum with people who like to talk (at great length lol) about their knife collection. And home defences. I always wonder what they'd be like if things did turn to custard. I think yer average wee ratty mum or granny might do a whole lot better ..
    I suppose it's all very well having a hundred knives and man-traps in your hall and razor wire on the fence...but you also have to have that quick aggression and speed. The RV is bloody fast when confronted, he always startles me when he does that. A mis-spent youth as a biker does help you through life ;)
    I think the nicest people would suffer most, as they find it hard to be like that. I would try and talk my way out of things. I talk a lot. LOL!
  • I hate to say this but if I had a mantrap in my hall, I know I'd forget where it was and catch ME!!!!! and razor wire wouldn't be very good for the local bird population or much use on 4' fences would it? As for Big Knives, well talk of big knives always makes me think of the Boy Racers zipping around in thier unsilenced margarine tubs, all they have is a big exhaust pipe, NO?
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Lol Mrs L, it's a man thing :D
  • Aldi have 28 Litre rucksacks in.

They consist of main pocket, smaller centre pocket, and two side netting pockets.

The centre pocket should comfortably hold your brewing tackle (stove, tea, sugar, milk etc.) and the 2 side pockets should hold a couple of 500ml water bottles, saving you from having to empty the main pocket, every time you want a brew.

While 28 Litres might be a touch on the small side, for a BOB, it should be enough for a daysack, which is the purpose I'll be putting mine to.

As for bottles to put in the side pockets, £land came to my rescue again.

2qda9tu.jpg

Removing the internal cooling tube, gives the bottle a capacity of around 550ml, which is two good sized brews.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    edited 10 June 2013 at 3:05PM
    mardatha wrote: »
    I think yer average wee ratty mum or granny might do a whole lot better ..
    My secret weapon is the border collie. She will simply lick them to death. It could be Jack the Ripper - she's not choosy :eek:. Failing that I'll give them a quick flash of my womanly figure. That'll see them off! :rotfl:
    Well all is rosy in the garden. It's weird but the next door neighbour is once again struggling with a poor bean crop. Hers seem to attract a little black fly. Mine are just a few yards away with the same light etc but never had a problem. Gosh - hope I haven't just jinxed myself...:(
  • hi everyone,

Since I posted last week for the first time not much has happened, but i have made a basic inventory of food and supplies and i think we would be ok for a couple of weeks food wise, i have also stored 20L of water, its a start..... I have also added bits to the First Aid Kit that should have been there already anyway.

If Gas and leccy were to be cut for longer than a few hours, the fireplace can be used with wood and we could cook with the gas BBQ and camping gas stove, but in the long run we would run out of gas.

Last year our chimenea broke, we are looking to replace it and i found that on Eb*y they sell gas bottle wood stoves, they do some with a flat top, we would it use as a chimenea but if it came to it we could cook on it, i cant post a link because i am a newbie here, but if you search 'gas bottle stove' you will see them.

Has anyone got one of these? are they any good? i know they sell proper wood stoves but the prices are horrendous! and the refurbished gas bottles look cool too, and we can take it camping.

On the subject of bugging in or out, we would bug in, we live in a small town, between bigger towns, but there are resources at hand in nearby forests at walking distance, our home looks very normal and wouldnt attract much attention.
    Life comes with many challenges. The ones that should not scare us are the ones we can take on and take control of.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite

Last year our chimenea broke, we are looking to replace it and i found that on Eb*y they sell gas bottle wood stoves, they do some with a flat top, we would it use as a chimenea but if it came to it we could cook on it, i cant post a link because i am a newbie here, but if you search 'gas bottle stove' you will see them.
    I don't know but can you tell me are these chimineas any good and what did you use yours for? I'm quite tempted but I want something that is useful as well as pretty.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure