PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter III

Comments

• rising_from_the_ashes
    rising_from_the_ashes Posts: 12,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 30 September 2011 at 6:10PM
    I have finished my first scarf! It was knitted on beginners wool but I am still proud of myself!

Congratulations!:D

Meant to add earlier but forgot ..... folding snow shovel for car arrived and I'm pretty impressed as it does appear to be reasonably strong once it's all tightened up.

Folded up into it's pouch neatly and in the car already!:D ETA - it has fit neatly into the tray under my passenger seat so hopefully easier than digging around in the boot should the worst happen!

Another thing ticked off ......:j
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I need to find the water bottles, my snow shovels arrived the other day from eBay, treated myself to some hunter wellies (have a pair of size 8s I need to sell when next free eBay day) and DP has shuffled the garage round so it's much easier to get to my salt, might put that in one of my sheds. We've had to throw away the old winter duvet as it hadn't dried fully and went mouldy :( but we have 2 summer ones and both fit in my washer, so going to use those

Agree it seems strange with this complete heat wave warmer than Spain was in May that it's going to probably/possibly according to forecast (I've not looked at any charts) that it's going to be so cold next week
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • tugrin
    tugrin Posts: 466 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Oh I was so worried when I saw that Pink winged had closed us down - felt like Id been sent home from the party for a moment (you can tell Im not used to all this threadforum//chatting online mullarkey!).
    Got an amaing bargain in the CS - beautiful heavy curtains, interlined too! Very slight fade on the outside edges and probably havent been cleaned for years as they were sold as seen. Debating whether to use as door curtains or to swap with my bedroom ones as these are thicker - £4.95 for a pair - can you believe it!
    Also spent a tiring and annoying afternoon trying to tie a long but not very heavy duty tarpaulin over my shed roof - in some places I was so frustrated I just used the roofing nails and tapped it down with them. Probably first sniff of wind and it'll be off, getting in the way of the RAF fighters as they take off and land.....
    I have also managed to get a dehumidifier on bay for a mere £11 !!! What a day. There is however the slight problem of having to drive to Cambridge to get up but it will still work out cheaper than getting a new one. I think my dad must have been looking down on me today - he would have been 94. I hope everyone else has had a similarly stupendous day - even in the rain(sad face for you).
    debt free 2021 at current DMP rate[/COLOR] (probably be in an old peoples home by then)
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    tugrin wrote: »
    Oh I was so worried when I saw that Pink winged had closed us down - felt like Id been sent home from the party for a moment (you can tell Im not used to all this threadforum//chatting online mullarkey!).
    Got an amaing bargain in the CS - beautiful heavy curtains, interlined too! Very slight fade on the outside edges and probably havent been cleaned for years as they were sold as seen. Debating whether to use as door curtains or to swap with my bedroom ones as these are thicker - £4.95 for a pair - can you believe it!
    Also spent a tiring and annoying afternoon trying to tie a long but not very heavy duty tarpaulin over my shed roof - in some places I was so frustrated I just used the roofing nails and tapped it down with them. Probably first sniff of wind and it'll be off, getting in the way of the RAF fighters as they take off and land.....
    I have also managed to get a dehumidifier on bay for a mere £11 !!! What a day. There is however the slight problem of having to drive to Cambridge to get up but it will still work out cheaper than getting a new one. I think my dad must have been looking down on me today - he would have been 94. I hope everyone else has had a similarly stupendous day - even in the rain(sad face for you).

:T:T:T Well done on such a bargain!!! Cambridge is lovely for a day out so enjoy!
  • mcjordi
    mcjordi Posts: 4,238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ooohh a shiney new thread....

need to get some wellies and still do a freezer shop...
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • Rainy-Days
    Rainy-Days Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Has anyone seen/heard from Alice Mary at all she was a regular not so long back but hasn't posted in a while. Just wondering how her preps are going :cool:
    Cat, Dogs and the Horses are our fag and beer money :D :beer:
  • NualaBuala
    NualaBuala Posts: 2,507 Forumite
    Phew! When I saw the old thread was closed I thought that the hot weather meant winter and therefore winter prep had been cancelled! :)

As much as I've been worrying about winter gas bills I have found the past few days of heat hard to bear - 25C is too hot for me and the nights have been horribly sticky.

I've got a boiler service booked for next week - got a good price with a Groupon deal. And when it's stopped raining I'm going to drain the outside tap for the winter as it won't be used again till Spring.

I've still got other wee bits and pieces to do but most are non-urgent.

Congrats to Angel_Jenny and Rising on your knitting - I think something you knit yourself will be cosier than anything you could ever buy!

Happy prepping!
    Trying to spend less time on MSE so I can get more done ... it's not going great so far! :)
    Sorry if I don't reply to posts - I'm having MAJOR trouble keeping up these days!

Frugal Living Challenge 2011

Sealed Pot #671 :A DFW Nerd #1185
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    I went shopping in town today. It's weird seeing all the christmas stuff in the shops when its so hot outside. The clothing departments were all empty-too hot to try things on.

It was worth going in though as managed to get coffee from Asda at £3 a packet -it was £4.39 in Mr T's yesterday and raisins for my Christmas cake at £1 a packet.
  • Frugal wrote: »
    :T:T:T Well done on such a bargain!!! Cambridge is lovely for a day out so enjoy!

LOL I'm just outside Cambridge. Had to take a vehicle from work in to be serviced along Newmarket road this pm (the road with the bus/cycle lanes planned by someone who must surely be blind). I pulled out in the courtesy vehicle at 16.30 and got back to work, 9 miles away, at 18.15, the whole city was gridlocked. Typical Friday afternoon and not a journey I'd have done by choice.

And don't get me started on parking - last time we were daft enough to leave the car in the Grand Arcade for a tiny bit too long one Saturday, it cost us something like £14 for parking. Park & Ride is all very well but the buses get clogged up in the same jams because the bus lanes are too short and too few. Letchworth can do free parking in the multistorey on Sundays and Bank Holidays, ok it doesn't have 'history' (so it doesn't have tourists), and it doesn't have John Lewis, Hollister or all the other outrageously expensive shops that make up Grand Arcade, but it does mean I can actually afford to shop there as opposed to window-shopping. I have lived here for 21 years and there's very little I like about Cambridge, except the college gardens seen from the 'backs' in spring.

Whinge over.

Two questions:

1) has anyone bought brushed cotton sheets from Tesco? Are they nice enough quality and do they wash ok?

2) Lidl's offer on Cushelle is more expensive than the 2x 18 rolls for £5 of whichever brand was on offer in Poundstretcher (and possibly Home Bargains). I don't know how the roll length compares, has anyone bought both brands and can compare? We're on a septic tank and the plumbing doesn't like thick stuff like Andrex, and my DDs use unnecessarily massive quantities. I usually get the 9 for £1.99 in Tesco, Discount Brands.

Will make the most of tomorrow's weather forecast to do a bonfire, spray the last weeds, wash curtains, coats, jackets and pet bedding... clean the windows, creocote the bird table and henhouses (which were on the summer list of jobs), cut the grass... phew, will probably fail to do more than one item on the list, same every weekend, more likely I'll potter round slowly trying to work out which to do first, but actually doing none of them, and not even airing the house as the doors and windows have to stay shut because the kittens can't go outside yet!
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Jingle bells, jingle Be....OOPS! Wrong thread!!!!!:p:D:rotfl:
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills