MSE Poll: What will influence how you vote in the general election?

Poll started 30 May 2017

What are the biggest factors that will decide how you vote in the general election?

You’ll get to cast your vote in the general election 2017 on Thursday 8 June (or earlier with postal votes). Yet what’s the driving force behind your choice?

Which of the following big themes are the most important influences on how you’ll vote? Choose UP TO THREE…

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks! :)

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    Tactical voting might have been a good option to have in the poll as there will be a lot of that going on (again)
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,486 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    edited 31 May 2017 at 9:51PM
    I'm amazed how few people consider the individual candidiates' strengths as one of the top 3 concerns. It doesn't score more than 2% in any of the age/gender splits, as things stand.

It's no wonder we have so many numpties in parliament.

And why Esther McVey will probably get re-elected.
  • Tactical voting might have been a good option to have in the poll as there will be a lot of that going on (again)

It's a fair point, but presumably some of the themes listed will be the underlying reason for someone to choose to vote tactically.
  • I'm amazed that so few prioritise the current environmental crisis we are in. Without stable climate, ecosystem services, and soils there will be no NHS, no national security, no GDP, and we let and even encourage our politicians to ignore this.
    For those that recognise the primary importance of a supportive natural order, I've put together an e-mail petition, where you can remind your candidates of what's at stake with one signature. Just go to the Care2 website and look for "Email your UK parliamentary (MP) candidates: protect wild species, the climate and agricultural soils."

I hope those that care will sign and share. Thanks.
  • Becoming_Extinct
    Becoming_Extinct Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 31 May 2017 at 11:06AM
    “'I'm amazed how few people consider the individual candidiates' strengths."-fatbelly

My awful Tory candidate is a strong motivation to vote for anyone else- she doesn't represent me at all under this awful first past the post system, and no one else is allowed to. But.. we had to choose the three primary issues, and that doesn't mean that the fourth and fifth are necessarily less important, for example.
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    MSE_Sam_M wrote: »
    It's a fair point, but presumably some of the themes listed will be the underlying reason for someone to choose to vote tactically.

Doubtful, they will vote tactically simply to try to stop someone else being elected
    eg. vote for the likely second placed candidate rather than your preferred choice to stop the SNP winning.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Doubtful, they will vote tactically simply to try to stop someone else being elected
    eg. vote for the likely second placed candidate rather than your preferred choice to stop the SNP winning.

Yes but there must be a reason they don't want that particular candidate to win, which is likely to be one of the reasons on the poll.
  • I'm amazed MSE haven't put closing tax loop holes as a reason for voting for labour?! That is my big deciding factor in voting for Corbyn who has promised to close the tax loop holes.

How come this hasn't been included as everyone I speak to is so angry that companies like Amazon, Boots, Vodaphone, Topshop, Daily Mail, Starbucks, etc - don't pay any tax at all. That is losing this country £billions every year, if not £trillions.

This infuriates me so much. Corbyn has promised to change the laws to stop this from happening. I'm not a fan of the conservatives who work for these companies and actually pay these companies £billions in subsidies - people are not aware of this. Look at how much is being given to rail networks as well. These are private companies who give money to their CEO - enormous bonus and shareholders rather than ploughing profits back into making the service better.

Come on people, vote labour, do the right thing please.
  • ifan.goch
    ifan.goch Posts: 66 Forumite
    fatbelly wrote: »
    I'm amazed how few people consider the individual candidiates' strengths.

It's no wonder we have so many numpties in parliament.

And why Esther McVey will probably get re-elected.

You have assumed that people do not consider the individual candidates' strengths. We were only allowed to tick 3 boxes and I along with others have decided that wasn't in our top 3 concerns. It doesn't mean that we don't consider it - it could be issue number 4.
  • ifan.goch
    ifan.goch Posts: 66 Forumite

I intend to vote tactically in this election. We have a Conservative member at the moment. I usually vote for Plaid Cymru, but in this election I will be voting Labour as votes for lesser parties are the same as voting Conservative.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure