Are the post office's 2D barcodes sufficient proof of postage?

Comments

• onejontwo
    onejontwo Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Most of the 2d barcodes won't scan anyway on the old type pda's. So until the new pda's are rolled out I wouldn't rely on this tracking method.
  • Well I send everything 2D barcoded and I can now access the delivery information.

Despite rumours of unusable PDAs etc I can confirm that the vast majority of my parcels over the last few months have delivery confirmation (well the vast majority of the ones I checked anyway)

So far, so good.

Once this is rolled out to everybody, and you can send standard mail at standard price with delivery confirmation. it will be a game changer.

Let's be honest this will put RM near enough on a par with Hermes price wise, but RM are so much more reliable.
  • 2D barcode scanning was introduced for every parcel the beginning of September (will check tomorrow). It doesn't matter whether you are a business customer or not if the parcel has the 2D barcode it will/should be scanned.

The problem arises if it curved ie on a tube, it wasn't printed clearly or smudged etc.
  • 2D barcode scanning was introduced for every parcel the beginning of September (will check tomorrow). It doesn't matter whether you are a business customer or not if the parcel has the 2D barcode it will/should be scanned.

The problem arises if it curved ie on a tube, it wasn't printed clearly or smudged etc.

2D scanning has been in existence for some time. It is not available as a POD for all yet and the latest news is, that it can be as late as next Spring.
  • Does anyone know if 2D barcoding on Large Letters will be scanned?
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Does anyone know if 2D barcoding on Large Letters will be scanned?

My understanding is that all 2D will have POD but the parcels are not expected to be fully integrated for all until Spring. LL could be sometime after that. But really, with the failed timelines thus far, how long is a piece of string.
  • I hope you're wrong about next Spring!

I'm lucky in that I can suddenly check my parcels status - however I cannot yet check on my Large Letters.

They've actually been 2D scanning in some areas since April. Checking back over my archive I can see POD on some parcels from that month.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    I hope you're wrong about next Spring!

I'm lucky in that I can suddenly check my parcels status - however I cannot yet check on my Large Letters.

So do I. But Spring (I am told) is optimistic.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    edited 29 October 2016 at 4:14PM
    I've been selling a few things recently because of a decent money off final fees offer from Ebay and I was told by the nice gentleman in the post office that I didn't need to send my items signed for anymore as the new post office barcodes is enough proof that the item has arrived.

Rather embarrassingly I said I felt it best to stick to signed for as it was definitive proof and I handed over the extra cost. But so I know for next time do I actually need to send items signed for if the Royal Mail use these new barcodes? If a buyer did claim INR would I be able to win that case with the bar code alone?

He is confused.
    2D barcodes are being brought in. Some account customers have access to track them. However retail customers do not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure