PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renting with your move

Hi all

Just looking for some advice I will apologise now going to be a long post.

We went to view a property loved it. So decided to go straight into the office to say we would like to rent it. We were told it would be available the first week of November on the phone before we viewed. Went into the office the told them we would like the move in date to be 4th November lady that was dealing with us agreed but her manager piped in will have to be the 28th October. After a few minutes not wanting to loose the property we said okay. Booked an appointment for Monday to fill forms out.

Went in Monday and told them sorry but due to work commitment and being short notice there is no way we could do the 28th October would have to be the 4th November a week later. Different lady was sorting out forms agreed a week would be fine as what difference would a week make so filled in forms and paid the £330 fee stating tenancy start date would be the 4th. Not hearing anything back about the online application email we contacted them Tuesday then again Wednesday. Only then to revive a call back saying we agreed the 28th originally. No you pushed us into it being the 28th when we filled the forms out it was changed to the 4th.

Had 7 phone calls yesterday asking us why it must be the 4th etc. Then to be told they would contact the landlord and let us know today if the 4th would be okay as they agreed with landlord they would have someone for the 28th October. And we were to fill the online referencing forms in and if landlord says no we would get our £330 back. Awaiting a phone call today heard nothing so decided to give them a call landlord keeps going to answer phone.

To be honest I don't think they have even informed the landlord and they will make us move in on the 28th. I've said to my partner we shouldn't fill the forms in until we get a definite answer about it being the 4th. What do you think?

This is our first ever renting experience and it's put me of for life. We have dealt with about 5 different people on the office who none seem to know what there doing. Just don't know what to do for the best.

Thank you and apologies
😊

Comments

• Even if the tenancy starts on the 28th, you don't have to move in then. The most straightforward solution would be to agree to an earlier start date and move in when it's convenient. Since you say you're a first time renter this wouldn't even require you to pay double rent, which is the way people often end up dealing with mismatched starts/ends of tenancies.
  • Our reasons for not wanting the start date was getting time of work to even sign also the date the rent would be due wouldn't be ideal due on the 28th because my pay doesn't go in until the last day of the month. Hence want the 4th as I prefer my bills to go out around then.

Thank you for your reply it's much appreciated
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    me1234567 wrote: »
    Our reasons for not wanting the start date was getting time of work to even sign also the date the rent would be due wouldn't be ideal due on the 28th because my pay doesn't go in until the last day of the month. Hence want the 4th as I prefer my bills to go out around then.

Thank you for your reply it's much appreciated

The date that you get paid shouldn't make any difference to when you pay the rent. All you have to do is to put aside the rent on the day that you get paid so that it is available for when you need to pay the rent.

You can't go through life expecting all bill payments to match the day that you get paid. You need to learn to budget.
  • Do you have it in writing that if the landlord says no to your preferred date then you'll get your fees back?

Assuming the landlord insists on the 28th, then your choices are either to start your tenancy on the 28th or look for another place. Is the hassle of starting a tenancy a week earlier than ideal less than the hassle of continuing to search? If the landlord/agent can afford to turn away tenants for the sake of a week, that's a signal.
    me1234567 wrote: »
    ... also the date the rent would be due wouldn't be ideal due on the 28th because my pay doesn't go in until the last day of the month...

Starting dates and rent due dates aren't always aligned; moving in on the 4th is no guarantee your rent won't be due on the 2Xth anyway.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    The date that you get paid shouldn't make any difference to when you pay the rent. All you have to do is to put aside the rent on the day that you get paid so that it is available for when you need to pay the rent.

You can't go through life expecting all bill payments to match the day that you get paid. You need to learn to budget.

^^^ this. If you don't have any buffer set aside then you are in trouble before you've even started.

Get a separate high interest bank account, keep 2-3 months rent in it, paying in each month from your standard bank account by standing order, and have the rent paid out of this account .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure