BSM driving school - waste of money

Comments

• verytired
    verytired Posts: 87 Forumite
    This thread has helped me make my mind up, definatly taking lessons with a private local instructor. Thanks guys!
  • sanjeev wrote: »
    I am very disappointed to say that BSM discontinued to give me driving
    lessons due to their lack of competent instructors. I failed four
    tests during my training with one of their instructor and just when I badly
    needed her to stay with me until I pass my test; she decided not to
    continue with me. After my last test, she couldn’t believe I failed;
    she was totally clueless and didn’t know what to do with me in order
    to pass my test. We didn’t talk about it that day and a next driving
    lesson was appointed in a month’s time. In the meantime, I thought of
    getting advice and information from Instructors forum (2pass) on internet on
    how to asses my situation by writing them.

When I met my instructor on our next lesson, I showed her the letter;
    she was very supportive at that time and willingly agreed to help me
    further. I decided to stay with her and continue my lessons until I
    pass my test. Even she suggested me that I should get an assessment
    from another instructor. She agreed to analyse and work with me
    accordingly.

Later in my next lesson, she said that after having chat with her
    business manager Tony at Swindon branch, she said that
    she cannot continue to give me lessons. Not only that, she also said
    that no other instructor in BSM will take me on training anymore.

I was shocked. I felt she was brainwashed by her manager as she
    changed her opinion so soon. She gave me the reason that’s she felt
    that I didn't trust her anymore, infact I tried to be open with her
    and expressed my issues which was only related to my driving. I
    explained her I was only asking for help and I never intended not to
    trust her. Later when I complain to BSM head office, they said they
    did this to save my money, they felt they couldn't let me drive with
    them as their instructors were not capable of teaching nervous or
    difficult pupils. I find this ridiculous as they are supposed to one
    of the biggest driving schools and yet they dont have quality
    instructors.

Like many others, I chose this particular driving school mainly from
    their image. I know it is not the cheapest option, but this didn't
    bother me too much as I assumed that the high quality level of service
    would reflect the price. How wrong could I be? 'We won't fail you' is
    the slogan - but how inspiring is this when it is the instructor from
    BSM that fails you. I initially started my lessons with BSM over a
    year ago, in January 2007 - and I am still without a licence.
    Admittedly, I am not the most confident of drivers and did not expect
    to pass my test in anything less than 25 hours, but my progress has
    been appaulling. At first the instructor gives you confidence and then
    she takes away from you. This is just another example of their
    inability to keep the customer satisfied. I will *never* recommend BSM
    to anybody.

Clearly, it seems one of BSM's prime philosophies is that, if the
    pupil is unable to pass the test then discontinue him/her. It is a clever
    and deceptive strategy - the company allow their pupils to feel that
    it is all in their best interests to spend at least two hours but the
    instructor is unwillingly to listen to her pupil. This has changed my
    perpective of the company as whole. Instead of letting me try with
    another instructor, the manager and instructor has taken the company in charge and this has proved to me their lack of competency and helpfulness.

With the advantage of hindsight, I realised that I had not been
    treated fairly and written a formal complaint to the BSM director, BBC Watchdog, Capital Letters, Swindon Council, CAB and
    consumer department. I spent nearly a thousand on my lessons, and now
    I wont be able to recover for my losses. They should be called as
    "Bull**** school of motoring"

Hi

As an ex bsm franchisee I have great sympathy with your plight, bsm instructors are under great pressure to pay the weekly franchise of £350 plus, and this does not include on the normal business expenses, subsequently the best interests of the pupil are sometimes cast aside.

BSM are a glorified 'middle man', a corporate 'brand' who generate unnecessary paperwork, communications etc. They generate the vast majority of their income from the instructors and not directly from the pupil so obviously their loyalty is with the instructor (some of whom are trainees who in 70% of the case fail to become qualified, but this is a different thread!)

In life it is true tht you get what you pay for but in this case it simply is not true, the reason BSM instructors charge more is NOT because they are better (we are monitored by the DSA and graded accordingly), but simply because they have to pay a very high franchise fee.
  • Everything to do with BSM is a complete DISASTROUS NIGHTMARE! AVOID AVOID AVOID!

I needed to change my pre-booked and pre-paid lesson, so I called BSM about a week before it was scheduled. However, I was not able to get through to anyone at BSM during their phone line hours. I had to request THREE callbacks, yet was NOT called back by a BSM agent. Finally, two days later, I called BSM again (each time spending lots of money from my mobile because of their stupidly expensive 0845 phone number). I was then told that I cannot switch my lesson or even get a refund if I were to cancel it, because it was "now too soon to my upcoming lesson" (even though I politely explained that I had tried calling BSM days before without being able to get through or get my calls returned).

I was thereby obligated to either lose out completely on the money that I already spent to have my lesson, or to keep my original lesson, despite it's bad timing. I keep the lesson as to not waste my money (or so I thought!) and had to change plans as a result.

So at the time of my lesson, I wait for 15 minutes outside for my instructor to show up. I didn't hear anything from anyone, so I have to pay a lot of money from my phone again to call BSM. I finally get through to someone, who then has to call my no-show instructor and put me on hold. After a few minutes of silence waiting, I was told that the instructor apparently "had a puncture and is not in a good mood at all now because of it" and that he would not be making it to my lesson (that was supposed to start 25 minutes prior at this point).

Again, I was not offered a refund despite BSM's undelivered services, and my 2 hours, which I switched plans around to make available for this lesson, were wasted. The only option I was given then was to reschedule another lesson to make up for this one for a few days later, at a very inconvenient, very early time, as this was all that was "available" at this point.

Finally, it's time for the second rescheduled lesson. Plans were rescheduled one more to stand around for yet another 15 minutes of outside in the cold waiting for my BSM instructor. I had to call BSM's rip-off phone number yet again to find out why my instructor had for the second time, not showed up. The lady on the phone at BSM said she "will call the instructor to find out what's going on", and put me on hold (wasting my money for the phone call even more).

After about 5 minutes of being on hold, expecting the lady who had been helping me to come back on the line, the instructor comes on the phone and seemed very confused and repeatedly asked me who I was, what my name was, who he was talking to, etc. He explained that BSM had recently been bought out by a bigger company and that there have been "communication" problems as a result, and that he apologised that I would now be "sitting around for two hours" since he was not even informed about my lesson with him (AGAIN)! He went on to say that BSM scheduled lessons for him without letting him know, so that he did not have my lesson down in his schedule and that "he didn't know what should even be in his diary".

The instructor on the phone continues, trying to get me to reschedule another lesson with him for the THIRD time, which I refused to do (not to mention I did not have much time left at this point before my scheduled practical exam, along with BSM's limited availability of "lessons"). The instructor kept telling me how the practical exam is getting much more difficult all the time, and that I was "making it seem much more straight forward than it actually is", that "it's more difficult than I seem to think it will be" etc., as if he wanted to make me feel unconfident so that I would actually reconsider rebooking. I told him I did not have much time left before my scheduled practical exam and that I wanted a refund. He said I should definitely be able to be refunded and "I'll leave that (getting the refund) to you then" before hanging up. I wouldn't be surprised if he was going straight back to bed, as he sounded out of it enough that he could have just been woken up.

I just contacted BSM online tand explained my horrific experience with them, demanding my refund (not to mention all the time and expensive phone calls that was wasted as a result of their complete lack of customer service and unbelievable negligence).

STAY WITH THE SMALLER DRIVING SCHOOL COMPANIES (such as Holborn School of Motoring, in Central London, etc.) AND AVOID THESE POORLY RUN, RIP-OFF HUGE CHAIN DRIVING SCHOOLS. I saw about three of Holborn School of Motoring's cars go by with pupils inside (who were actually receiving the lessons that they scheduled and paid for!) each time I waited for my non-existent BSM lessons!
  • rainbow81 wrote: »
    i passed first time with bsm. Plus i got a student discount. Any instructor can be rubbish, let's face it. I tried an independent instructor first but we didn't get on. My bsm instructor (i believe they are actually self-employed but get the bsm name and training) said that they get a bonus when their pupils pass first time, so it is in their interests that you take the test when you are ready and not before.

It is harsh to slate all instructors who work for/with bsm. It is in your interests to find an instructor you can work with and whose teaching style you appreciate. I felt mine really went the extra mile even drawing little diagrams as i learnt better that way.

you are just lucky they are awful you just have been perfect if your not then you are done for apparently if you cant do one manouver you are a failure in their eyes i had a few and all the same lame instructors
  • I agree they are very psychological im glad i left i think they lie i think you should also report this to watchdog.co.uk please as it is important more people are not conned by their driving school as i have experienced their unattainable standard expected from a student the instructors have no patients and make you feel as though it is your fault thatyou cant drive and also give you no information on the roads and expect you to know everything and also con you out of money its disgusting!
  • Suzuki2006 wrote: »
    Everything to do with BSM is a complete DISASTROUS NIGHTMARE! AVOID AVOID AVOID!

I needed to change my pre-booked and pre-paid lesson, so I called BSM about a week before it was scheduled. However, I was not able to get through to anyone at BSM during their phone line hours. I had to request THREE callbacks, yet was NOT called back by a BSM agent. Finally, two days later, I called BSM again (each time spending lots of money from my mobile because of their stupidly expensive 0845 phone number). I was then told that I cannot switch my lesson or even get a refund if I were to cancel it, because it was "now too soon to my upcoming lesson" (even though I politely explained that I had tried calling BSM days before without being able to get through or get my calls returned).

I was thereby obligated to either lose out completely on the money that I already spent to have my lesson, or to keep my original lesson, despite it's bad timing. I keep the lesson as to not waste my money (or so I thought!) and had to change plans as a result.

So at the time of my lesson, I wait for 15 minutes outside for my instructor to show up. I didn't hear anything from anyone, so I have to pay a lot of money from my phone again to call BSM. I finally get through to someone, who then has to call my no-show instructor and put me on hold. After a few minutes of silence waiting, I was told that the instructor apparently "had a puncture and is not in a good mood at all now because of it" and that he would not be making it to my lesson (that was supposed to start 25 minutes prior at this point).

Again, I was not offered a refund despite BSM's undelivered services, and my 2 hours, which I switched plans around to make available for this lesson, were wasted. The only option I was given then was to reschedule another lesson to make up for this one for a few days later, at a very inconvenient, very early time, as this was all that was "available" at this point.

Finally, it's time for the second rescheduled lesson. Plans were rescheduled one more to stand around for yet another 15 minutes of outside in the cold waiting for my BSM instructor. I had to call BSM's rip-off phone number yet again to find out why my instructor had for the second time, not showed up. The lady on the phone at BSM said she "will call the instructor to find out what's going on", and put me on hold (wasting my money for the phone call even more).

After about 5 minutes of being on hold, expecting the lady who had been helping me to come back on the line, the instructor comes on the phone and seemed very confused and repeatedly asked me who I was, what my name was, who he was talking to, etc. He explained that BSM had recently been bought out by a bigger company and that there have been "communication" problems as a result, and that he apologised that I would now be "sitting around for two hours" since he was not even informed about my lesson with him (AGAIN)! He went on to say that BSM scheduled lessons for him without letting him know, so that he did not have my lesson down in his schedule and that "he didn't know what should even be in his diary".

The instructor on the phone continues, trying to get me to reschedule another lesson with him for the THIRD time, which I refused to do (not to mention I did not have much time left at this point before my scheduled practical exam, along with BSM's limited availability of "lessons"). The instructor kept telling me how the practical exam is getting much more difficult all the time, and that I was "making it seem much more straight forward than it actually is", that "it's more difficult than I seem to think it will be" etc., as if he wanted to make me feel unconfident so that I would actually reconsider rebooking. I told him I did not have much time left before my scheduled practical exam and that I wanted a refund. He said I should definitely be able to be refunded and "I'll leave that (getting the refund) to you then" before hanging up. I wouldn't be surprised if he was going straight back to bed, as he sounded out of it enough that he could have just been woken up.

I just contacted BSM online tand explained my horrific experience with them, demanding my refund (not to mention all the time and expensive phone calls that was wasted as a result of their complete lack of customer service and unbelievable negligence).

STAY WITH THE SMALLER DRIVING SCHOOL COMPANIES (such as Holborn School of Motoring, in Central London, etc.) AND AVOID THESE POORLY RUN, RIP-OFF HUGE CHAIN DRIVING SCHOOLS. I saw about three of Holborn School of Motoring's cars go by with pupils inside (who were actually receiving the lessons that they scheduled and paid for!) each time I waited for my non-existent BSM lessons!

I agree they are very psychological im glad i left i think they lie i think you should also report this to watchdog.co.uk please as it is important more people are not conned by their driving school as i have experienced their unattainable standard expected from a student the instructors have no patients and make you feel as though it is your fault thatyou cant drive and also give you no information on the roads and expect you to know everything and also con you out of money its disgusting!
  • Suzuki2006 wrote: »
    Everything to do with BSM is a complete DISASTROUS NIGHTMARE! AVOID AVOID AVOID!

i hope the company actually goes in to decline i agree the phones are maddness i thought it was just me and im still waiting for my refund which i dont think i will get
  • I also have had issues with BSM. 20+ hours of lessons that were repetative, was not progressing and my driving instructor was frankly too busy looking at females on the street, despite the fact I can actually drive and only failed my first test on one point ( but there had been a few years gap). I was definitelty being strung along and taken for every penny. I too ran out of disposable income before acheiving success. I am now considering going back to driving but I am very very wary of giving my money to ANY school without have personal recommendations first.
    Put the kettle on. ;)
  • I learnt to drive with BSM 9yrs ago in Nottingham after previously learning with a private instructor. I moved because i felt that i wasnt getting anywhere with my 1st instructor - after 30hrs (!) my lessons were still consisting of turning right at a junction! Absolutely crazy.

After moving, it turned out that i had been taught in completely the wrong way as after the 1st hour the new instructor asked me why i was doing certain things, and it was because that was the way in which i had been shown. I had to be completely reshown how to drive! :o(

Still, as with any company, there are the good and the bad. If youre not happy then change to someone else! To this day, i still occasionally see my old instructor around and we have a chat. My OH learnt to drive with BSM last year as that was who i had learnt with and found them to be great

Hello. I have moved to Nottingham recently and been looking for a driving instructor. Can you PM me about your instructor 's contact number or give me his names so that I can ask for him when booking lessons with BSM? Does he have an automatic car?

I learnt with an instructor from BSM in Exeter. He was fairly ok. But he taught me really slowly. I booked a block of many hours with BSM. I still have 3 lessons left with them so I have to continue. Hopefully your instructor can help me get my license in a sufficient period of time.
  • gordikin
    gordikin Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    I suspect everyone wants to 'pass' asap,...unfortunately that doesn't happen.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure