Getting out of mobile contract due to change of job and no coverage

Options
Hi,

We took out two mobile phone contracts with iD about three months ago. Since then my husband has changed jobs, and cannot get any reception at work. This came to a head last week when my son's school tried to contact him but couldn't, as my son had had a head injury. Can I get out of this contract and how?

Secondly, I have a fully hands free phone in my car. On my way home I often ring my mum. I have noticed that teh reception has got worse since I first took out the contract. It used to cut off once on the way home, and now it can cut off up to seven times with lots of dead/flat spots which now makes me feel quite unsafe. I always follow the same route home, so it isn't due to changing roads. Can I get out of my contract?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Comments

• d123
    d123 Posts: 8,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    creno40 wrote: »
    Hi,

We took out two mobile phone contracts with iD about three months ago. Since then my husband has changed jobs, and cannot get any reception at work. This came to a head last week when my son's school tried to contact him but couldn't, as my son had had a head injury. Can I get out of this contract and how?

Secondly, I have a fully hands free phone in my car. On my way home I often ring my mum. I have noticed that teh reception has got worse since I first took out the contract. It used to cut off once on the way home, and now it can cut off up to seven times with lots of dead/flat spots which now makes me feel quite unsafe. I always follow the same route home, so it isn't due to changing roads. Can I get out of my contract?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

As per the contracts you agreed to, there is a clause that allows early termination.

If you check the terms it should explain the charges involved in early termination, it's normally months left x line rental - a small discount.

You're best asking their customer services for exact figures.

Oh, and no, there is no "get out of contract free" clause in this instance, you signed a contract, it's not the networks fault if you decide to move house or job...
    ====
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    In a word, no. How long is the contract for? If it's a typical phone + SIM one it will probably be two years.

I am with Three, who are the network iD use. Their coverage here is actually better in our usual haunts than Vodafone. My OH also has a Three SIM and suffered from lousy data rates at her office... after several complaints to Three they finally improved the site and she now enjoys very fast 4G.

I'm not a Three groupie, but they do appear keen to please... even if their rollout of additional bandwidth and 4G is snail pace. I don't know how easy it is to get through to Three via iD though.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    Next time forget a contract, stick with PAYG, if the service sucks switch networks of your terms, not theirs.
  • sdduk
    sdduk Posts: 1,419 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Op if it was that easy to get out of a contract everybody would be doing it
    so no there no way out unless you want to pay it off.
    Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody, therefore I am Perfect.
    :)
  • d123
    Options
    sdduk wrote: »
    Op if it was that easy to get out of a contract everybody would be doing it
    so no there no way out unless you want to pay it off.

unless you either go bankrupt or die :p
    ====
  • JP1978
    JP1978 Posts: 527 Forumite
    Options
    I think that your only [small] hope is to speak to carphone warehouse. They own ID mobile - maybe and its a big maybe, ask if they can pul you off ID and move you to another network, so at least you are keeping your contracts with them. I very much doubt it will happen but I always work on the basis if you dont ask [very nicely] you dont get.
  • sdduk
    sdduk Posts: 1,419 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    unless you either go bankrupt or die :p
    Ha Ha Yes :D
    Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody, therefore I am Perfect.
    :)
  • idmobile
    idmobile Posts: 30 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi creno40, we are sorry to hear that you and your Husband are having problems with your coverage on the iD Mobile network, we appreciate that this can be frustrating.

When your Husband purchased the phone, it is likely that a coverage check was carried out at your home address; he would then have had 14-days to return the handset, should he find the coverage be unsatisfactory.

We are unable to guarantee coverage in all locations, this can vary based on the location of a building, how built up the area is, building materials and may other things. We aim for good coverage where possible; however, we simply cannot predict what coverage will be like inside a building, like your Husbands work place.

If yourself or your Husband are outside of his 14-day return period, I am afraid we could not process a return of the handset and the contract.

If you have any further queries, please contact our Social Media Team, who will be able to assist.

iD Mobile.
    facebook.com/idmobileuk/
    twitter.com/id_mobile_uk
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of iD Mobile. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE
  • d123
    Options
    idmobile wrote: »

If yourself or your Husband are outside of his 14-day return period, I am afraid we could not process a return of the handset and the contract.

Is it any wonder ID customer service is so bad when they apparently can't even read all that well?

Let's not even mention the terrible grammar, "if yourself or your Husband"...
    creno40 wrote: »
    We took out two mobile phone contracts with iD about three months ago.
    ====
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport