PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

rent or buy

mrelephant_2
mrelephant_2 Posts: 169 Forumite
edited 25 August 2016 at 5:36PM in House buying, renting & selling
I'm a 55yr old guy who currently rents an apartment because i have never been in a position to buy, however in the next 12 months i will have @ £60k worth of shares maturing so i would like to hear opinions of whether i should look into buying a small cheap house or carry on renting and invest the £60k for when i retire and then enjoy spending it on holidays.
I have enough pension arrangements that will cover future rent and living costs, so the £60k wouldn't be needed for that, i know if i bought my own property with the £60k i would be rent free in the future but would then be limited to saving my some of my pension for holidays.
My current thoughts are to remain renting and enjoy the freedom of spending the £60k as and when i want,,,,basically enjoying myself whilst i still have my health....any opinions welcome please.
I have also given some thought to using the £60k to buy a property and then when i retire possibly sell up and hopefully the value of the property will have increased and i would get more than the £60k back and then go back into rental and have even more money to spend on hols etc.

forgot to mention, i live in the northwest where £60k could buy you a small terraced house or apartment.

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Where do you live you can buy a house for £60k ?

How do you know that your pension will cover rent for say the next thirty years or fourty years? Sounds like a big pension if you are so confident,, if that's the case surely there will be lots of spare for holiidays?

If you buy a property that means extra cost such as maintenance, might that cut into your holiday budget ? OTOH where I live it's cheaper to pay a mortage than rent so not even having a mortage would mean a lot left over to pay for holidays.

How much is your rent currently ?
  • mrelephant_2
    mrelephant_2 Posts: 169 Forumite
    edited 25 August 2016 at 6:26PM
    i live in lancashire,,
    i'm estimating my pension will cover my rent in the future because the annual statement from my private i currently receive each year would cover my current rent if i was receiving my pension now which is valued at @£5500 per annum and increases inline with inflation.

my rent is £450 a month, thats £5400 per annum, so if i was currently recieving my private pension it would cover my rent and as my pension rises with inflation this would cover rental inflation rises. other costs such as bills and food etc would be covered by the government pension....please correct me if im wrong in my assumptions though, as i'm no financial guru.....this is why im asking for opinions.

Basically what i want to hear is would i be better investing my £60k in buying my own property or carry on renting.

I know a few people who are retired and have sold their property and gone into rental and are now using the equity made from the house sale to go on holidays etc whilst they still have their health.

their pensions cover rental and living cost's and don't have to worry about property maintenance/upkeep costs.

And believe me, if you're not from this area of Lancashire, you can buy small 2 bedroomed houses in decent areas that need no or little improvements doing for £60/£70k
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    mrelephant wrote: »
    i live in lancashire,,
    i'm estimating my pension will cover my rent in the future because the annual statement from my private i currently receive each year would cover my current rent if i was receiving my pension now which is valued at @£5500 per annum and increases inline with inflation.

my rent is £450 a month, thats £5400 per annum, so if i was currently recieving my private pension it would cover my rent and as my pension rises with inflation this would cover rental inflation rises. other costs such as bills and food etc would be covered by the government pension....please correct me if im wrong in my assumptions though, as i'm no financial guru.....this is why im asking for opinions.

Basically what i want to hear is would i be better investing my £60k in buying my own property or carry on renting.

I know a few people who are retired and have sold their property and gone into rental and are now using the equity made from the house sale to go on holidays etc whilst they still have their health.

their pensions cover rental and living cost's and don't have to worry about property maintenance/upkeep costs.

And believe me, if you're not from this area of Lancashire, you can buy small 2 bedroomed houses in decent areas that need no or little improvements doing for £60/£70k

Wow what different worlds North and South. I walked past a one bed maisonette last week just round the corner from me, it had an estate agents sign up so I looked it up out of interest. £230,000 :eek:

Looks to me from what you've said your pension and SP would just about cover rent and mortgage but then you've got that £60k to live on for another 40 years maybe? Declining every year because inflation chips away at it and interest rates are very low.

Whereas if you bought a house, then rent is gone, you are not at the mercy of rent rises in future, and you've got £450 every month you can spend on whatever you want. £5k a year. Let's say £3k a year after other expenses and putting some away for futur house expenses.

I guess house prices are only rising slowly if at all in your neck of the woods, but let's say in 20 years time, it wouldn't seem unreasonable for that 60k house to be worth £90k maybe double, £120k, and if you fancied getting some cash you could do an equity release and take a fair bit of money out without needing to move or pay rent either. In a good scenario you could have a house you bought for £60k and 20 years later take out that £60k and yet still own it and live in it! (I'm assuming you are single and don't need to worry about a partner ? )

You also will be your own "landlord" you won't have a landlord refusing to make a repair, or evicting you on a whim. Not a financial benefit but one of peace of mind perhaps?

So that's what I'd do.
  • Ah yes.......Equity release, god i hadn't even given that a thought....thanks you've given me plenty of room for thought. :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure