Pockit pre-pay card inactivity fee

I have had a Pockit card for over a year. It was quite handy for Halfords cashback but I haven't used it since last August.

Today I had a notification on my phone from the Pockit app advising me of a £0.99 inactivity fee. Logged in and sure enough my account has been debited.

Investigated why and discovered that their T&Cs changed last year. I trawled through my emails and was never notified of this change so I would call this very underhand practice.

From March they will be charging customers who joined before February an inactivity fee of £0.99 a month, unless you use your card at least once every six months.

Heads up to Pockit card users!

Comments

• SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    glennevis wrote: »
    I have had a Pockit card for over a year. It was quite handy for Halfords cashback but I haven't used it since last August.

Today I had a notification on my phone from the Pockit app advising me of a £0.99 inactivity fee. Logged in and sure enough my account has been debited.

Investigated why and discovered that their T&Cs changed last year. I trawled through my emails and was never notified of this change so I would call this very underhand practice.

From March they will be charging customers who joined before February an inactivity fee of £0.99 a month, unless you use your card at least once every six months.

I received notification of this on 27 January 2018 in an emailed titled How Pockit is changing in 2018. Amongst the information it contained was:
    Inactivity charge

To continue to support the costs of running and growing the Pockit service for all of you, we have decided to introduce a small inactivity fee for customers who have not used their Pockit account for over 6 months.

Starting March 2018, we will charge a 99p monthly inactivity fee for Pockit customers who have been inactive for over 6 months.

We want as many of you to continue to use Pockit as your core current account. If you use Pockit to make a deposit or spend transaction in any 6-month period, you will not be charged this fee.

Thank you for being a Pockit customer. We’re looking forward to bringing you lots more exciting products and features in 2018!

- The Pockit Team
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I had the email and closed my account. It was a rubbish card anyway. I only opened it because of a £5 credit promotional offer and the cashback. I never received either the promotional offer or any cashback when I used it at Argos. Complaints drew no response so it wasn't worth keeping the card.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    We want as many of you to continue to use Pockit as your core current account.

They have been pretty clear about the type of customer that they want.
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    glennevis wrote: »

Very helpful. After reading your post I checked the Pocket card expiry date and it expired last year. Even though they have my up to date details I have never been advised of any changes to their terms and conditions and no new card.

I phoned them to day only to be told they will only accept my request in writing if I required the account to be closed.
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    MABLE wrote: »
    I phoned them to day only to be told they will only accept my request in writing if I required the account to be closed.

You can close it by messaging them online, -that's what I did. Click on your initials in the top right hand corner of the screen/help and support/other/submit a request/report new issue/other.

I received a reply asking why I wanted to close my account. I replied telling them to go back and read my message, as I'd explained why I wanted to close it. They replied saying it was now closed.

Please note: make sure you spend any money left on the card, or transfer it out, before you ask for the account to be closed. Otherwise they'll ask you to submit bank statements for the account where you want the balance sending.
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    EarthBoy wrote: »
    You can close it by messaging them online, -that's what I did. Click on your initials in the top right hand corner of the screen/help and support/other/submit a request/report new issue/other.

I received a reply asking why I wanted to close my account. I replied telling them to go back and read my message, as I'd explained why I wanted to close it. They replied saying it was now closed.

Please note: make sure you spend any money left on the card, or transfer it out, before you ask for the account to be closed. Otherwise they'll ask you to submit bank statements for the account where you want the balance sending.

Thats is a good idea. However they now say they cannot close the account until zero balance. There is a credit left of 25p and I cannot transfer out and the card has already expired so I told them to keep it as it was from the original £5.00 bonus. Hopefully they are ok with that.
  • glennevis
    glennevis Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    An update:
    I complained vis CS about the charge due to no notification and they replied that all customers were advised of the new T&Cs "in October".

I replied that I had not received an email in October, emails only received in September and November which did not mention this change.
    Received a refund of the inactivity fee "as a goodwill gesture" three days later.

Still not impressed, so once I've used up my balance it will be cancelled.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 March 2018 at 7:12PM
    This whole thread is a very clear case of making a proverbial mountain out of an equally proverbial molehill. Pockit did give notice of their revised T&Cs. It's not their fault that certain cardholders don't read their emails and ignore the notices on the Pockit website. Let's face it, using the card just once in a 6 months period is not at all difficult or conversely paying £0.99p every 6 months is not a great amount and neither is the monthly membership fee of £0.99p a great amount.

I've been a Pockit cardholder since its inception and noted it being developed very slowly with each development building on the last. The latest development is direct debits which is in line with the current tendency towards prepaid current accounts. We might argue that such prepaid current accounts are not needed since the inception of basic bank accounts but it's good to have a safety net and cards such as Pockit is it!

All power to Pockit!
  • remnize
    remnize Posts: 5 Forumite
    Anthorn wrote: »
    Pockit did give notice of their revised T&Cs. It's not their fault that certain cardholders don't read their emails and ignore the notices on the Pockit website.
    If a Pockit customer did not receive notification by email for whatever reason then they would be unaware Pockit were making these changes. It does not appear that Pockit have placed an obvious notice or explanation of the changes on their website, so unless a customer had saved a copy of the original terms and regularly compared the wording they simply would not have known of these changes. Fortunately I kept a copy of terms and conditions to which I agreed to which specify what sort of notice is acceptable:
    12.1 We may change any of these terms and conditions, including fees and charges, or introduce new terms. If we make any changes, we will give 2 months prior written notice to you by email.
    12.2 If we change these terms and conditions, the new terms and conditions will be available at [link removed] from the date the change takes place.
    The way I see it, if a customer claims they didn't receive notice by email, then they would be perfectly justified in asking for a refund of any inactivity fee.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    remnize wrote: »
    If a Pockit customer did not receive notification by email for whatever reason then they would be unaware Pockit were making these changes. It does not appear that Pockit have placed an obvious notice or explanation of the changes on their website, so unless a customer had saved a copy of the original terms and regularly compared the wording they simply would not have known of these changes. Fortunately I kept a copy of terms and conditions to which I agreed to which specify what sort of notice is acceptable:
    The way I see it, if a customer claims they didn't receive notice by email, then they would be perfectly justified in asking for a refund of any inactivity fee.

Not exactly: All any existing customer or future customer needs to do if they cannot read and/or understand the terms clearly displayed on the Pockit website is access the fees table as well as the terms attached to it similarly clearly displayed on the Pockit home page:
    https://www.pockit.com
    https://www.pockit.com/terms/

i.e:
    **FREE for customers who use Pockit as their primary account. We will NOT charge you if you spend more than £500 in any given month. **FREE for customers who joined Pockit before February 2018, and use Pockit actively. If you joined Pockit before February 2018, and if you use Pockit at least once during any 6-month period, then we will NOT charge you.

It does appear that certain people get a Pockit card and don't use it and then complain when they are charged an inactivity fee of £0.99p every 6 months. For crying out loud, if you're not using it get rid of it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure