Transfer of mortgage..help...

Options
Hi..hope someone can help..basically moved to this property 3 years ago..used my money £126000 plus a small mortgage £34000 in my son's name to buy it..as I couldnt get a mortgage as I'm self employed and didn't earn enough..so now my son hasn't worked for 10 months..I've always paid the mortgage into his account..so the mortgage is up to date..but he's in debt badly with other things..been to mortgage company and they won't even entertain me to transfer the mortgage or start a new one in my name...says I don't earn enough..what can I do...

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No easy answers I'm afraid.

As things stand your son owns the house and if he was to be made bankrupt you could lose the house.

Is selling an option?
  • Lilla_D
    Lilla_D Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Being self-employed is actually a positive thing, because it allows you some level of flexibility when it comes to working out your profit subject to tax. Without knowing your circumstances, I wonder if you could be a bit less tax efficient and report higher income, so you could get £34k mortgage?

While I realise that the 16/17 reporting had to be done by 31 Jan 2018, it is possible to go back and modify the figure. If you could then also prepare the 17/18 tax return in Apr, i.e. in a few weeks' time with a higher figure, then you could potentially apply for a mortgage with increased chances.

There are lenders who only use latest year income, but the underwriters have discretion to decline a case, if they don't see sustainability. So if your reported income is sub-£10k for years and suddenly there's a big jump, it doesn't guarantee a mortgage with lenders who use latest year figure.

If you have credit commitments, they may also need to be cleared in order to get the mortgage, so perhaps consider selling your car and getting a cheaper one. Of course, I don't know your circumstances, so just thinking out loud.

Finally, your best option may not be the existing lender, so it'd be worth reviewing your situation with a broker and applying for a mortgage accordingly. So yes, selling the property is one option, but I'd also recommend reviewing your own financial situation to see what could be done.
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I don;t understand the issue to be honest. If you are still paying the mortgage what is the problem? At worst, if his bank account is at risk of being frozen then open a new account in his name and use that to pay the mortgage.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure