Refused authority to be a signature on a Club Acco

Hi, hoping someone can help? I have an IVA, I took it on after being made redundant. I have cleared all but 5k of it, started with over 40k. I had a great job, and could afford the credit at time. I have never defaulted, either before or during the IVA, I now owe 3 people, started with 8. I still have my mortgage, and have never defaulted on that either. Basically I have done everything right!! I recently took over as a Club Secretary and had to fill in a form to be a signaturie. I have been turned down. They did a credit check, without my knowledge, and have decided " I'm not worthy" I am so angry, and frustrated. I am an elected officer of this Club, and can't do my role. Any ideas??
:mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• They would not have done the search without your authority, you would have consented somewhere along the line when you completed the mandate form.
    You can still act as Secretary just not sign on the account.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    PirelliCat wrote: »
    had to fill in a form to be a signaturie. I have been turned down. They did a credit check, without my knowledge, and have decided " I'm not worthy" I am so angry, and frustrated.

In filling in the form you signed a declaration. This would have provided the bank with the neccesary approval to conduct enquiries. Always read the small print of what you sign. Whether it be personal, business or any other form of capacity.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,647
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    You are technically insolvent due to your IVA.

Makes no difference if your up to date on the payments or not, it is the fact your in it that counts against you.

I am a tad confused as your creditors are not paid out till the end of your arrangement so you Finnish an IVA with exactly the same creditors as when you started.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • I was not made aware of the Credit check, but that is by the by! Yes I can be Secretary, however it is going to be incredibly hard. I pay all the bills for the Club. The signatures are spread all over the country. We purposely added our Vice President as she lives close to me. The issue I have is the bank turning me down!! It's not their money, it's not my money, we need 2 signatures on a cheque. How dare they say I am not trustworthy? I am an elected official. I would totally understand it if I was asking for an account for myself, but I'm not, the account has been there for years.
  • I had a lump sum, and offered them all a deal. 5 accepted the deal and the sum owning to them is cleared. I only owe 3 now.
  • PrettyKittyKat
    PrettyKittyKat Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    You IVA doesn't make any sense. All your creditors are paid the exact same p in the £ in an IVA. Whether you do a lump sum IVA (rare) or a monthly payment for 60 months IVA (most common). If one creditor is paid in full this makes them preferential and is against insolvency law as all creditors have to be treated equally. if a creditor rejects the IVA proposal but the majority accepts then the rejecting creditor is still bound by the terms.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    PirelliCat wrote: »
    I was not made aware of the Credit check, but that is by the by! Yes I can be Secretary, however it is going to be incredibly hard. I pay all the bills for the Club. The signatures are spread all over the country. We purposely added our Vice President as she lives close to me. The issue I have is the bank turning me down!! It's not their money, it's not my money, we need 2 signatures on a cheque. How dare they say I am not trustworthy? I am an elected official. I would totally understand it if I was asking for an account for myself, but I'm not, the account has been there for years.

Let's cut to the chase and I'm being nice now - you are in an IVA - do your creditors think you trustworthy?
    It is not the bank's fault that the signatories are spread all over the country - you have a vice president nearby get another person to sign on the bank mandate -you can still be the 'boss' who authorises all the payments just not sign the cheques.

(There is also the possibility that you may pay monies due to you through this account _ I'm not saying that you would--BUT it is a possibility which is another reason the bank does not want you to sign).
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Organisation Representative
    Hi PirelliCat

One thing to note, a company cannot carry out a credit check without your permission. However it is possible they checked the public Insolvency Register and found the information that way.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi PirelliCat

One thing to note, a company cannot carry out a credit check without your permission. However it is possible they checked the public Insolvency Register and found the information that way.

Susie
    @natdebtline

I know as a fact that when you apply to sign on a club/society type of account the terms specifically authorise the bank to make a search.
    So if he signed the form he authorised it - now whether he read the terms beforehand is another matter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure