My DRO journey

I've decided I want to keep a record of my DRO journey. I think it will help me to clarify my thoughts and reduce the stress of the process since I don't really have anyone to talk to about it.
I'm a carer for my grandparents and registered as self employed so i can earn some extra money online. I don't earn very much and used credit cards to keep me going and ended up borrowing more to keep up with payments until I couldn't keep up anymore. I finally acknowledged that i had a problem and started researching my options online. Of the options available a DRO seemed like the most suitable for me.
I phoned the Business Debt Line on the 27th Feb and after being on hold for forty minutes I spoke to an advisor. They explained my options and went through my budget and agreed to send me an application pack. I applied for a new bank account with Nationwide and requested a credit report from Experian. Today my DRO application pack and my credit report arrived in the post. I'm planning on doing my application over the weekend and posting it on Monday. I'll also send letter to my creditors.

Comments

• Good luck. Did they tell you how long it would take after they receive your application? Not sure how they're doing now, but my application was received on 19th December. I was told it would be 6 - 8 weeks, then that extended. I am hoping to hear any day, and that it won't take much longer. It is stressful, but hopefully worth it.
  • snowwhyte
    snowwhyte Posts: 63
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I was told that there would be an eleven week wait and to get my application in as soon as possible. Luckily i had read your posts in the other thread and so wasn't surprised to hear about the wait time.
    It is unfortunate that the wait is so long. Once I finally decided to address my debt problem I wanted to steam ahead and get things done and the delay gives you time to worry and think about the things that might go wrong. I'm trying to think of it as the delay means that other people are getting the help they need too, that I have time to truly think about what i'm doing and the implications and that they are doing the best they can to make sure the applications are done right and if that takes a little longer well so be it.
  • Twubble
    Twubble Posts: 80 Forumite
    Sounds like they are still snowed under mountains of applications then. I don't know why the other agencies are no longer doing them for self employed, especially for those who aren't running a business as such.

Yes, I still worry about it all constantly, and my current worry is that I finally get a letter through saying they need all updated information, which will mean even longer and more stress. I know I qualify. I know that I'll get it ... but that doesn't stop me worrying about it. I have obtained an updated credit report, and if they do need further bank statements, Paypal printouts, etc, I'm hoping that I can email them to them to save time. We shall see. Our Posties weren't allowed out on their rounds yesterday (we didn't have much snow, but the black ice was beyond belief), so I'm hoping I'm going to hear from them in the coming days. I also emailed them a couple of days ago (saves the long wait on the phone), but haven't heard back yet.

I hope the time you were given is not extended and that you soon have the weight lifted from your shoulders.
  • snowwhyte
    Forumite
    edited 3 March 2018 at 12:10PM
    I settled down to read through my DRO application pack today. I hit my first difficulty with something I thought would be fairly simple. I logged into my Natwest account with the intention of printing out my bank statement. I went to the statement section and there were no entries for 2018. I spoke to one of their online advisors and apparently my account is not set for monthly statements. They are going to send me a copy of my statement but that will take a week.
    I realise that i could make a trip into town and go into my branch and ask them to print me out a statement. However, they have just sent me a letter stating that they want to reduce my overdraft. I am worried they will grab me for an account review if I go into my branch and I don't want to do that if I am planning to apply for a DRO. I will have to weigh an extra week's wait before submitting my application versus a possible awkward conversation at the bank.
  • Twubble
    Twubble Posts: 80 Forumite
    With luck it won't take that long. Maybe you could send everything else in so that they have the application, and then send that as soon as you get it?
  • gellerbing
    gellerbing Posts: 349
    Forumite
    I'm also on a journey to get a DRO, ive gone with stepchange though and no idea how long it will be until i find out. They recieved my documents and form last friday and so have my creditors recieved my letters, no idea if they've taken note of my letters as so far 2 creditors have sent me reminder emails and 1 has reduced my limit. That is fine though as i have no plans to use any more credit as obviously that is suggested too.
    Ive switched bank accounts to nationwide and that's all gone through fine, im just waiting on my card. I just really hope that this doesn't take too as i don't want to stress about getting hounded by letters, demands, baliffs or court action.
    Wins: Cushelle Koala, Mama tea bundle, coconut ice cream recipe book
  • snowwhyte
    Forumite
    It's seems that we'll be getting our applications in at roughly the same time but with different organisations. It will be interesting to see the processing times for the two. Hopefully all our applications will go through smoothly and sooner than expected.
    My bank statement problem has already been resolved. I logged into my account and found that they had emailed me a pdf copy of my statement that I was able to print out so I won't need to wait for it to arrive in the post.
  • biggysmaller
    biggysmaller Posts: 235
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You should look into asking your local CAB to do your DRO application. They made it so easy for me - I just took in all my creditor statements, they asked for a Experian credit check file number and in a couple of days, I had a DRO ready for me to approve. I made a few changes to the creditor amounts and then I was given the barcode a few days thereafter. I looked into the other debt charities but they sent me a ridiculous amount of paperwork which I struggled with plus their waiting times were off the scale.
    So here I am now with only 3 months left of my DRO to go!
    Good Luck!
  • snowwhyte
    Forumite
    I emailed the CAB to ask if they had a debt advisor in my area and to see what their wait times are. I'm aiming to send my application into the National Debt Line tomorrow but if the CAB can do it quicker I could always withdraw my application.
  • snowwhyte
    Forumite
    I completed my application and made a copy of it. I posted it out first class signed for. I went to the post office in the next village over so my local postmistress wouldn't know my business. I also sent out my creditor letters. I'm waiting for the CAB to get back to me with their wait times.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure