Prolific Academic Survey Alerts

Options

Comments

• Merlin's_Beard
    Options
    mikep22 wrote: »
    I was just messaging them on facebook, apparently the listener (chrome extension) is not made by them, which was news to me....

If you right click and hit "Prolific Assistant" then underneath the heading it says "offered by Kadauchi".

Kadauchi is the pseudonym of, basically, a guy who does surveys who doesn't like checking the page frequently!

You can tell because underneath the "related" tab, and "others by this developer", it has exactly the same thing but for MTurk (Which again, is not associated with Prolific in any way shape or form!). Also he's trackable down on Reddit for those who want questions answered, though he's fairly inactive.

It doesn't explicitly hit you in the face repeatedly that it's not an official plug in (though, why would it?), but it doesn't hide it. And when Prolific have put out pleas for people not to completely batter their site to pieces with requests, it's always been "can people who use site checkers not kill our site for users by checking every second and please drop to once a minute max", and they've never said "can people not use OUR site checker" - because they don't have one!

It's an unofficial app that presumably Prolific have been happy to let people use... up to a point. I imagine if people misuse it much more I guess they'll have to do their best to block it and upset some people, because they must be getting to the break point where they're going to upset less people by banning it than by keeping it!

(I hope you tell your students to check where the programs they install on their browsers comes from!! :rotfl:)
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • Viksnco
    Viksnco Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    zzzt wrote: »
    I returned it without completing, so I guess I won't get the payout. Probably a lot of people did the same.

I've been paid out now, even though I returned it, hopefully everybody else has too!
  • mikep22
    mikep22 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Desert Flower 04
    Hosted by : Simon Stephan
    Reward : £ 0.60
    Avg. Reward Per Hour : £4.50/hr
    Available Places : 152/480
    Maximum Allowed Time : 12mins
    Avg. Completion Time : 8mins

Its back with (the ill behaviour)....eligability for pc and laptop!
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
    :beer:
  • mikep22
    Options
    Desert Flower 04
    Hosted by : Simon Stephan
    Reward : £ 0.60
    Avg. Reward Per Hour : £4.50/hr
    Available Places : 152/480
    Maximum Allowed Time : 12mins
    Avg. Completion Time : 8mins

Its back with (the ill behaviour)....eligability for pc and laptop!

My good golly gum drops I wont need any help getting to sleep tonight.
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
  • mikep22
    Options
    If you right click and hit "Prolific Assistant" then underneath the heading it says "offered by Kadauchi".

Kadauchi is the pseudonym of, basically, a guy who does surveys who doesn't like checking the page frequently!

You can tell because underneath the "related" tab, and "others by this developer", it has exactly the same thing but for MTurk (Which again, is not associated with Prolific in any way shape or form!). Also he's trackable down on Reddit for those who want questions answered, though he's fairly inactive.

It doesn't explicitly hit you in the face repeatedly that it's not an official plug in (though, why would it?), but it doesn't hide it. And when Prolific have put out pleas for people not to completely batter their site to pieces with requests, it's always been "can people who use site checkers not kill our site for users by checking every second and please drop to once a minute max", and they've never said "can people not use OUR site checker" - because they don't have one!

It's an unofficial app that presumably Prolific have been happy to let people use... up to a point. I imagine if people misuse it much more I guess they'll have to do their best to block it and upset some people, because they must be getting to the break point where they're going to upset less people by banning it than by keeping it!

(I hope you tell your students to check where the programs they install on their browsers comes from!! :rotfl:)

I think I will not be alone in assuming that a site listener, with a Prolific logo (that they can only use with approval of prolific as it would fall under copyright) is either made by, or championed by Prolific.

With the branding, no, I didnt take any more steps then normal to find out it wasnt prolific. Why would you? Its like something with Nike Swoosh on, you would assume to be connected with Nike....its a normal connection.

Very fortunately, I do not do software licencing with my students, for it is dull as the survey I have just done, but one of my colleagues gets very excited about that sort of thing. She brings in cookies too, so she gets forgiven...:eek:
  • GreyAndGold
    GreyAndGold Posts: 738 Forumite
    Options
    I think I will not be alone in assuming that a site listener, with a Prolific logo (that they can only use with approval of prolific as it would fall under copyright) is either made by, or championed by Prolific.

With the branding, no, I didnt take any more steps then normal to find out it wasnt prolific. Why would you? Its like something with Nike Swoosh on, you would assume to be connected with Nike....its a normal connection.

I always wondered who those people are that fall for the email phishing scams that obviously still must get enough returns to make them profitable, I think I've found the answer :eek: company branding counts for nothing on the internet!
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This from an IT lecturer... or so he says he is. ;)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Maximum Allowed Time : 20mins

Avg. Completion Time : 15mins

Avg. Reward Per Hour : £4.29/hr
    Reward Per Hour estimated by researcher: £6.00/hr
  • mikep22
    Options
    I always wondered who those people are that fall for the email phishing scams that obviously still must get enough returns to make them profitable, I think I've found the answer :eek: company branding counts for nothing on the internet!

That logic is....truly odd......again I maintain that 90% of people will assume the listener is directly connected to Prolific.

And yes that is from an IT lecturer.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That logic is....truly odd......again I maintain that 90% of people will assume the listener is directly connected to Prolific.

And yes that is from an IT lecturer.

I seem to recall this was mentioned ages ago, probably on this thread's last incarnation, that the assistant is nothing to do with PA. Were it so, one would think they could exert some control over it and stop it from crashing their server as it does. What do I know? I'm not an IT lecturer, nor have I ever been. :cool:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback