Information held and required by insurer's

Hi All

Sorry this is a bit of a rant. Is there a way to find out exactly what information is held on the insurance databases and also what information an insurance company require?

Having gone though the annual nightmare of insuring my car I'd like to find out if there is any standard across the board. For instance my car has been re-sprayed - some insurers consider this a modification others don't. (I got a lecture when I said yes to modification only to be told if I bought the car like that is didn't count, they only wanted to know if I had done it :mad:)

Also trying the comparison sites where they ask about claims /incidents history, there isn't a way to select that you notified your insurer of a previous incident that resulted in £0 cost to them - all claims must have a cost (for example, my car hit whilst parked unfortunately someone took the plate of the other vehicle but it was either a false plate or incorrect, I didn't want to loose my no claims so chose to repair independently.) Again I've had different answers as to weather I need to declare this. I always do as years ago I got stung similar situation (caught someone in the car trying to nick it) reported it but didn't make a claim, didn't realise I needed to mention it at renewal and subsequently had insurance cancelled for non disclosure. Some companies call it a reported incident, other call it a claim.

On a side note I find it incredibly unfair that these "claims /incidents" increase my premiums, in both cases I've been the victim of a crime, I've cover the cost of the repair myself and I've still been penalised by the insurance companies.

The lack of consistency is driving me nuts, I spent 2 hours on the phone trying to sort the insurance out this time round. Call centre staff can't seem to deal with complicated histories so I only want to give them the relevant information they actually want / need

Comments

• paddyandstumpy
    paddyandstumpy Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Are you disclosing the previous cancellation too?

Of what you've said; that will cause the biggest agro.

Yes the incidents need disclosing, despite there being no claim, if the question asked is "accidents claims or losses".
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If the car is not exactly the same as it came from the factory then yes its modified.

You need to declare it, if its a paint job then the insurer may just think thats not an issue, but the next insurer may think its a big issue.

Either way you need to mention it at every quote and let them decide if its an issue.

I have the same with a towbar, years ago it was "we dont care about that" then its OK thanks for telling us no problem and more often now they make a note of it, even though it makes no difference to the premium.
    I still inform them.

Cant see an insurer telling you not to declare an incident where you suffered a lossor damage even though no claim was made for it. Its still an incident.

You declare everything and they tell you what they care about. Comparison sites are probably useless for you if you have a cancelled
    policy on record.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Are you disclosing the previous cancellation too?

Of what you've said; that will cause the biggest agro.

Yes the incidents need disclosing, despite there being no claim, if the question asked is "accidents claims or losses".

Yes I always disclose it, and yes its is what causes the biggest agro. I naively took the question "accident, claim or losses" literally - it wasn't an accident, I didn't make a claim (as far as I was aware at the time telling the insurance about an incident wasn't the same as making a claim), and I didn't incur any losses as we just bent the door back (old battered fiesta) and nothing was actually nicked. You live and learn but I think it is grossly unfair that it will follow me around for the rest of my life, increasing my premiums.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure