47kg Propane Calor Gas Prices - What are you paying?

Comments

• We have just bought a house that runs off LPG and we pay £58 for a 47kg bottle, which includes delivery and fitting. Melling, Merseyside.
  • We live on a park home site and have to buy the bottled gas from the site owner. We moved in last September and the 47kg gas was £68 we have been told this week that it is now £72.50. How much profit the site is making only they know. If we are lucky and control when the heating is on one bottle will last 2 weeks. If we want to be comfortable then it would only last a week.
  • fewkeste
    fewkeste Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We live on a park home site and have to buy the bottled gas from the site owner. We moved in last September and the 47kg gas was £68 we have been told this week that it is now £72.50. How much profit the site is making only they know. If we are lucky and control when the heating is on one bottle will last 2 weeks. If we want to be comfortable then it would only last a week.

Read post #407, do some research and then take the appropriate action if you're unhappy with the current situation. It sounds as though you're not alone in being ripped off but it also looks like you can do something about it via NACO. Good luck.
  • LouiseTopp
    LouiseTopp Posts: 170 Forumite
    How much is it at Salisbury gas center please?
  • LouiseTopp wrote: »
    How much is it at Salisbury gas center please?

Hi Louise,

Why not ask them?

salisburygas@btconnect.com
    01722 331214

:)
  • sjoyce666
    sjoyce666 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Ordered two last week from my local supplier and the price had gone down to £49 per 47kg bottle delivered and fitted
  • FloGas is £92.90 here in Northern Ireland, 90% more expensive. Let's put it like this. If you worked for a national company and earned £25,000/year, yet folk in Northern Ireland for the same company earned 92% more, £47,500/year, would you be upset?
  • fewkeste
    fewkeste Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    FloGas is £92.90 here in Northern Ireland, 90% more expensive. Let's put it like this. If you worked for a national company and earned £25,000/year, yet folk in Northern Ireland for the same company earned 92% more, £47,500/year, would you be upset?

That is a complete rip-off! Are there any logistical or other valid reasons to justify that differential in NI? I can't think of anything but I'm not there.

Do you know if anyone (a customer) in NI has made a complaint to Trading Standards or the CMA? If they haven't - they really should do.

Also given the importance of the DUP to the UK government, maybe local DUP MPs should be asked to raise this in Parliament and ask for an investigation by the CMA?

It would be a great way of them demonstrating they truly represent the welfare/interests of the people that elected them and that they are in touch with issues that matter to the electorate.
  • Yes, I have made official complaints including the 'Consumer Council for Northern Ireland'. They all returned fluffy excuses on why there is a price differential, and why they can't do anything about it. I'm afraid, and forgive the pun, my 'energy' in fighting this has somewhat drained in recent times as I've had some major health issues to deal with.

It is disgusting, and there is genuinely no reason at all for such a rip off, but I fear no one has taken up the mantle in fighting this. The DUP currently has bigger fish to fry than the price of gas, after all, this only effects their constituents, and they are currently on a fat salary for not even sitting in government, but that's a whole other story!
  • LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 19 March 2018 at 10:45AM
    Yes, I have made official complaints including the 'Consumer Council for Northern Ireland'. They all returned fluffy excuses on why there is a price differential, and why they can't do anything about it. I'm afraid, and forgive the pun, my 'energy' in fighting this has somewhat drained in recent times as I've had some major health issues to deal with.

<snip>

There IS an ombudsman for LPG (yes, that was news to me! Ofgem only covers electricity and gas - the privatised utilities).

ALL members of UKLPG are signed up to using this ombudsman. Maybe someone in NI could see if this route gets somewhere?

More info here.

(Sorry about your health issues, Stephen ...but there are other NI people on this forum, surely?).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure