DRO - living with my partner who is a HOMEOWNER

Hi Guys, just wanted a little bit of advice...

So I filled in a form through the Step Change website today with all my incomings/outgoings/debts etc.. The website then advised I should apply for a DRO. I knew I qualified as I have been researching DRO quite a bit recently. It is definitely something I would like to go for to sort these terrible debts that have been getting me down for months now! However, there is one little niggle I am worried about.. I currently live with my partner who owns the property. I have only been with him a year and have lived in the property for the past 6 months. All my debts are my own and the DRO is just for me. Does anyone know if this could affect my application? I really hope it doesn't :huh:

Comments

• User1976
    User1976 Posts: 7 Forumite
    This won’t affect your DRO but you may need to provide your intermediary with. Copy of the deeds for the property to show you don’t have an interest in it.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Organisation Representative
    Hi Happy90 and welcome to MSE,

In a situation like this the intermediary would need to assess whether or not you may have any 'beneficial interest' in your partners property. This is quite a complicated topic, and I appreciate you are not named on anything. Beneficial Interest is where someone may have accrued a money interest in another person!!!8217;s property that is deemed to be an asset, based on things like, what they have contributed to the house over time. This is not an exact calculation and there is a degree of subjectivity to this but the fact that you have lived with your partner for such a short time makes this quite unlikely.

It is something that needs to be discussed in more detail, so unfortunately, I cannot completely rule it out. So, the best thing to do, is call one of the free debt charities that do the DRO applications and let them discuss it with you properly.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,342
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    The situation with a DRO is clearer than with bankruptcy, as the guidelines refer to an 'established beneficial interest'.

No adviser, be they CAB, Stepchange or National Debtline, can establish whether you may have acquired a beneficial interest if you are not a legal owner. However, a court can.

I have put through many applications for partners of homeowners and never had one declined.

However, you may get problems in this area from Stepchange. I am afraid they have form. If you do, try one of the other Competent Authorities.
  • Which would you recommend if not Stepchange fatbelly?
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,342
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    Stepchange and CAB do the vast majority of them. If you have an independent debt advice centre locally, then they may have intermediaries approved by the IMA, and they would be a good bet. After that there are only very small numbers done by the other authorities like CAP, National Debtline and Payplan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure