4 Final Interviews no job offers

Options

Comments

• westbridgfordguy
    Options
    Make that 5 in a row now. Had final interview this Tuesday again for another role, was told would receive feedback by end of week by Thursday knew they were offering job to other candidate and got phone call first thing this morning to confirm.

Feedback was I did nothing wrong and they couldn't highlight anything I could have done differently and said that there were 15 candidates which were whittled down to the last 2 one of which was me which makes it all the more disappointing.

This is now about 15 months going through unsuccessful interviews getting to last stage and failing, as I am not being given anything constructive to focus on am getting extremely despondant.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You don't say if you are currently working and looking to change jobs or whether you are unemployed at the moment. If the latter, could you perhaps find some voluntary work to do? Doing something always looks better to an employer than doing nothing. It also keeps your CV up to date and can do the same for your skills.

Five knock backs is nothing, believe me and, like everyone else on this thread, I do know how you feel. It is hard not to become despondent but you know what ultimately makes the difference between getting a job and not getting it? Being the one who absolutely would not quit, that's what. Keep on keeping on, keep the faith and, sooner or later, you will be the last one standing. It may take a long time but if you stop trying, it will never happen.

Try writing down a list of your attributes, all the things you know are good about yourself (not your looks unless you are trying to be a model :D) You could start with tenacious, providing you don't quit. ;)

Good luck and HTH. I look forward to reading you have found your dream job.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Options
    Make that 5 in a row now. Had final interview this Tuesday again for another role, was told would receive feedback by end of week by Thursday knew they were offering job to other candidate and got phone call first thing this morning to confirm.

Feedback was I did nothing wrong and they couldn't highlight anything I could have done differently and said that there were 15 candidates which were whittled down to the last 2 one of which was me which makes it all the more disappointing.

This is now about 15 months going through unsuccessful interviews getting to last stage and failing, as I am not being given anything constructive to focus on am getting extremely despondant.

So, again, you got to the last 2 - at which point you would have faced the same odds if they just flipped a coin.

Maybe, just maybe, there isn't anything that you're doing wrong and you've just been unlucky thus far. One of these times, the coin will land on the other side, your face will fit, whatever, and you'll be offered the job.

But get despondent, go in determined that you'll fall at the final hurdle, and guess what?!? - it'll probably happen.
  • Smodlet
    Options
    I've just watched "The Job Interview" on Channel 4; might be worth a look. It is so glaringly obvious who is going to get the job from about two minutes in. If nothing else, it might cheer you up. Some of the candidates are so unsuitable it is laughable, e.g. a straight bloke who has probably never worn make up in his life applying to work for cosmetics firm... Gotta wonder how he'd look in sparkly lip gloss.
  • westbridgfordguy
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    You don't say if you are currently working and looking to change jobs or whether you are unemployed at the moment. If the latter, could you perhaps find some voluntary work to do? Doing something always looks better to an employer than doing nothing. It also keeps your CV up to date and can do the same for your skills.

Five knock backs is nothing, believe me and, like everyone else on this thread, I do know how you feel. It is hard not to become despondent but you know what ultimately makes the difference between getting a job and not getting it? Being the one who absolutely would not quit, that's what. Keep on keeping on, keep the faith and, sooner or later, you will be the last one standing. It may take a long time but if you stop trying, it will never happen.

Try writing down a list of your attributes, all the things you know are good about yourself (not your looks unless you are trying to be a model :D) You could start with tenacious, providing you don't quit. ;)

Good luck and HTH. I look forward to reading you have found your dream job.

Thanks for the reply, I was made redundant in September 2016 and took on a role 2 levels down from the position I had been operating in as opposed to be on the dole. There's no likelihood of any progression within my existing company my boss has no intentions of moving from his role as he is quite content with his current level.

I'm starting to become very worried as every company I unsuccessfully interview for removes this company from the list in future and there is only a finite number of companies I will be able to apply to. I'm also being restricted by the fact I'm on a 3 month notice period which is ridiculous for the level I'm operating on I went for an interview this morning and they want someone to start in April I was honest enough to mention my notice period but this will be used as an exclusionary factor so not expecting to hear back.

Apologies if I sound like I'm whinging, thanks for the advice again
  • Smodlet
    Options
    I wonder if the notice period is the only reason you did not get those other jobs. Is there no room for negotiation with your present employer on that? Three months is an unconscionable time to wait for a new employee to start unless they are a nuclear physicist or some such, I would have thought. Strongly suggest you broach this subject. If you are afraid of them knowing you want to leave, does your employer really have no idea? You seem so unhappy; they must know the job you have with them is below your capabilities and that you are unlikely to stay if you have no prospects.

I don't understand why you think one knock back is a door permanently closed. Why should you not reapply to the same companies, especially if you were down to the last two? Maybe one of them will find the person they took on does not work out and call you, who knows? You really cannot learn that much about a person in an interview, after all. Don't give up!
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I don't think getting turned down removes you from that company in future. Sometimes you're not the best fit for the specific role you are interviewing for but you may be the best fit for the next role which comes up.
    In fact, if you want, you can explicitly say to companies when they tell you didn't get the job that you would like them to keep your details and bear you in mind should any future opportunities arise.
    I can think of at least 2 people in my office who we employed the second time they applied.

In one case, the first time they didn't get the job because we had another equally strong candidate - we went for the other candidate in part because they had applied directly so there was no recruiters fee to pay, and as both candidates were equally good, it made sense to save £6,000!
    In the other case, they were a good candidate but didn't have as much experience as we wanted, and we had another candidate who had that experience. When we had a similar role open a year later they reapplied and were taken on. At that time, they obviously had another years experience but also there wasn't another, stronger candidate tht time.

Obviously if you had a bad relationship with one of the old managers or think there is a personal reason why they won't consider you, don't reapply, but otherwise there is absolutely no reason *not* to reapply.

Since you are getting interviews and getting through to second/final interviews it sounds as though your CV and cover letter, and the way you present in interviews, are all good.

I do sympathise. I went through a period when I was job hunting during a period when jobs in my sector were very scarce, and it is very hard to stay positive and not to take the rejections personally.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I wonder if the notice period is the only reason you did not get those other jobs. Is there no room for negotiation with your present employer on that? Three months is an unconscionable time to wait for a new employee to start unless they are a nuclear physicist or some such, I would have thought. Strongly suggest you broach this subject.

I think this depends a lot on the job. In my sector, 3 months is standard and anyone recruiting knows that that's likely to be the case. For more senior people it can be 6 months.

however, if it is *not* standard in your industry then it's worth taking into account, and considering whether your employer is likely to be prepared to agree a shorter period if /when you do give notice.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Smodlet
    Options
    TBagpuss wrote: »
    I think this depends a lot on the job. In my sector, 3 months is standard and anyone recruiting knows that that's likely to be the case. For more senior people it can be 6 months.

however, if it is *not* standard in your industry then it's worth taking into account, and considering whether your employer is likely to be prepared to agree a shorter period if /when you do give notice.

The OP stated, "I'm also being restricted by the fact I'm on a 3 month notice period which is ridiculous for the level I'm operating on". Now, I have no idea whether this is fact or merely the OP's opinion but chose to give him the benefit of the doubt.
  • westbridgfordguy
    Options
    I wonder if the notice period is the only reason you did not get those other jobs. Is there no room for negotiation with your present employer on that? Three months is an unconscionable time to wait for a new employee to start unless they are a nuclear physicist or some such, I would have thought. Strongly suggest you broach this subject. If you are afraid of them knowing you want to leave, does your employer really have no idea? You seem so unhappy; they must know the job you have with them is below your capabilities and that you are unlikely to stay if you have no prospects.

I don't understand why you think one knock back is a door permanently closed. Why should you not reapply to the same companies, especially if you were down to the last two? Maybe one of them will find the person they took on does not work out and call you, who knows? You really cannot learn that much about a person in an interview, after all. Don't give up!

Very good question; when I was interviewed initially my own boss told me that the consensus was that there was good chance I would leave the company given the level of role I was applying for but it was too good an opportunity for them to turn down given my level of experience of qualifications.

The company are probably aware I will leave at some point given that however I am reticent to broach this with them given my service period is less than 2 years so they could decide just to cut their losses with me if I actually confirmed I am looking for alternate employment rather than their suspicions leaving me with no job.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure