MMD Should I share my discount?

This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
I recently used an app to buy theatre tickets for me and my friend. I later realised the app had given me a £10 discount for buying a second ticket, but my friend’s already paid me full price for her ticket.

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

Got a money moral dilemma of your own? [URL="mailto: mmd@moneysavingexpert.com"]Suggest an MMD[/URL].

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• Gresp
    Gresp Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Share the discount between you and give your friend £5 back.

Alternatively, use it to buy some cinema food. £10 should just about be enough for half a bag of Maltesers.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Explain you have just noticed about the discount and do 1 of the 2 suggestions above.
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Keep the money for yourself! (You're a money-saver, aren't you?)

How come you didn't get your friend to pay for your ticket, anyway?
  • Tinks74
    Tinks74 Posts: 201 Forumite
    Options
    1. Split the discount with your FRIEND
    2. Be a !!!!.

No dilemma here unless your friend also has a history of being a !!!!, in which case you deserve each other for even asking the question.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Gresp wrote: »
    Share the discount between you and give your friend £5 back.

Alternatively, use it to buy some cinema food. £10 should just about be enough for half a bag of Maltesers.
    ^^^^ absolutely :T
  • Why the question was even asked I can not understand.
    We are talking £5.00 in this case.
    I would just hand the £5 to my friend.
  • In this case, it's quite straightforward as it was probably a free app, so share the discount with your friend. Where a discount was obtained through paid means ie a railcard you had to pay for, it's not so straightforward. Having said that, I have a generous friend with a disabled card who takes me along as her free carer to museums and art galleries, but when her husband accompanies us, I still go in as the free carer because he qualifies for the over 65 discount which I don't get as yet (soon will!) and he gets a heavily discounted ticket. As they won't let me pay for the discounted ticket, I always buy the coffee & cakes when we get there.

It's about treating your friends right - do you value a few pounds more than the friendship?
  • Pollycat
    In this case, it's quite straightforward as it was probably a free app, so share the discount with your friend. Where a discount was obtained through paid means ie a railcard you had to pay for, it's not so straightforward. Having said that, I have a generous friend with a disabled card who takes me along as her free carer to museums and art galleries, but when her husband accompanies us, I still go in as the free carer because he qualifies for the over 65 discount which I don't get as yet (soon will!) and he gets a heavily discounted ticket. As they won't let me pay for the discounted ticket, I always buy the coffee & cakes when we get there.

It's about treating your friends right - do you value a few pounds more than the friendship?
    Apparently so.
    Otherwise they wouldn't have asked the question. :whistle:
  • Buy the drinks in the interval
  • Pollycat
    nikkiwabit wrote: »
    Buy the drinks in the interval
    But if the originator of this MMD is so mean that they feel the need to ask if they should share the £10 discount with their friend, they may be scared that the bill for drinks might come to £10.30 and then they'd be out of pocket. :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure