Massive EDF bill

Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone could help me please.....

My partner has just received a final bill for gas used in her upstairs flat from EDF. The final bill totals 893.94 relating to the period 17/10/17 to 10/01/18.
Is this actually possible???

According to EDF the calculations are as follows (2 tarrifs)...
1093 = 12326kwh x 2.363 = £291.26 and
1403 = 15823kwh x 3.673 = £581.18

I am no expert in this field at all but I don’t understand how those bills can be so high! I would have thought the heating would have to be maxed 100hrs per day to get anywhere near those figures!

Any help appreciated!

Shaun.

Comments

• Edwards99 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone could help me please.....

My partner has just received a final bill for gas used in her upstairs flat from EDF. The final bill totals 893.94 relating to the period 17/10/17 to 10/01/18.
    Is this actually possible???

According to EDF the calculations are as follows (2 tarrifs)...
    1093 = 12326kwh x 2.363 = £291.26 and
    1403 = 15823kwh x 3.673 = £581.18

I am no expert in this field at all but I don’t understand how those bills can be so high! I would have thought the heating would have to be maxed 100hrs per day to get anywhere near those figures!

Any help appreciated!

Shaun.
    Need a bit more information but I guess the 1093 and 1403 are the metered units (metric). Perhaps the 2 tariffs you refer to is a change from a fixed tariff to the standard tariff ( going by the cost:eek:)
    Having said that mostly this kind of final bill is caused by the bills up to the 17 Oct 2017 being estimated and the final; one is a catch up bill. So check the previous bills.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    It's a ridiculously large amount unless the flat is very large or the windows were left open all the time with the heating on, or there was gas leak etc...

As above likely to be a catchup from previous estimates, what were the previous bills? Estimated?

Why did the tariff change? Was it a fixed term deal coming to an end? If so, and it was wrong estimates on previous bills, you should argue that the amount charged at the higher rate is excessive, since it's likely mostly to have been used while on the lower fixed tariff.
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    I make it 85 days and 28149 kwhs =331 kwh daily.
    .possibly estimated readings and a catch up bill or the old suspect on here when metric gas meters ( billed in cubic metres ) has been calculated for an imperial ( cubic feet ) meter which is 2.8 times more.
    Dived the daily 331 by 2.8 and that is a more realistic late autumn and winter billing rate.
    Is your meter an Imperial meter or a metric meter?. With only 4 digits I expect the meter to be a 4 dial imperial meter.
    British Gas always use 5 digits for metric and 4 for imperial but other suppliers are not as sensible as them
  • Cheers for the reply.

It has defo changed from a tariff to a !!!8216; standard!!!8217; but that amount is massive.

Going to have to get her to check the prev bills but surely there!!!8217;s been a gas leak during that time to get to that haha!
  • zagfles
    Edwards99 wrote: »
    Cheers for the reply.

It has defo changed from a tariff to a !!!8216; standard!!!8217; but that amount is massive.

Going to have to get her to check the prev bills but surely there!!!8217;s been a gas leak during that time to get to that haha!
    Is the opening reading an estimate? It should say on the bill.
  • zagfles
    I make it 85 days and 28149 kwhs =331 kwh daily.
    .possibly estimated readings and a catch up bill or the old suspect on here when metric gas meters ( billed in cubic metres ) has been calculated for an imperial ( cubic feet ) meter which is 2.8 times more.
    Dived the daily 331 by 2.8 and that is a more realistic late autumn and winter billing rate.
    Is your meter an Imperial meter or a metric meter?. With only 4 digits I expect the meter to be a 4 dial imperial meter.
    British Gas always use 5 digits for metric and 4 for imperial but other suppliers are not as sensible as them
    The calculation has been done for a metric meter (about 11.25 kWh per unit). If it was actually an imperial meter it'd be 2.83 times more kWh's, not less!
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    This is why people have to take the responsibility of giving the supplier regular correct readings. If out when readers are likely to call, it's possible to call or send readings online.
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,414 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    OP, the first reading is equivalent to my annual consumption in a 3 bed mid terrace house with gas central heating. Definitely too high for the period in question, but as others have said, check whether there has been estimated readings included or previously, the bill may include gas used prior to the billing period. Having said that, the usage is high for a flat - unless it's a luxury 4 bed penthouse flat? Check they haven't transposed any numbers as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure