Sainsbury's swipe and don't win

I bought about £20 of items in this promotion in a larger store (not a local or central;no excluded items) and didn't get any coupon for extra Nectar points. MSE and the numerous signs around the store all say the minimum win is 200 points, which isn't my experience.

Three store staff looked at the receipt and between them they all declared it was Nectar's fault and they couldn't do anything about it, as Sainsburys were only working in partnership with Nectar. So I asked to return all the items for a full refund.

Not impressed.

I later rang Sainsbury's custopmer care line (Head Office?) who took a different view and credited rather more than 200 points back to me. I shall shop elsewhere this week.

So check you receipts carefully!

Comments

• I have had similar experience this afternoon - spent about £35 on petrol - no coupon (Did not use pay at pump & not on their list of excluded sites) Will chase them up.
  • flower77g wrote: »
    Three store staff looked at the receipt and between them they all declared it was Nectar's fault and they couldn't do anything about it, as Sainsburys were only working in partnership with Nectar.

A very close partnership as Sainsbury's now own Nectar.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-5341349/Sainsburys-buys-Nectar-card-business-60m.html
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,392
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    We had a coupon for 200 points from the shop after a £10.84 spend, then one for 1000 after buying petrol, using last week's discount coupon, anyway.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Diamandis
    Diamandis Posts: 881
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    They sorted it and gave you more so why won't you shop there?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I got a 500 points voucher today for a £30 spend.
  • > They sorted it and gave you more so why won't you shop there?

Because the customer service received is awful, and there are lots of other supermarkets where I can buy groceries this week. A well run branch of the store would have credited either 200 Nectar points or a random higher amount when the error was pointed out, rather than three staff in store on the customer service desk trying to disown all responsibility. I'm guessing there is some sort of computer error which fails to awared any points, but the staff should have been able to correct that. I don't believe for a second that none of the staff could have used their own discretion to add the missing points, given they are on the customer service desk.

I telephoned the Sainsburys customer centre from home who took better action, including asking for the names of the three staff on the customer service desk. They told me they would escalate it to the store manager. I wouldn't go back until he or she has had a chance to talk to them.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Did you buy any of the excluded items?
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I got a 500 points voucher today for a £30 spend.

If you had split it into 3 lots of £10 then you would have had a guaranteed minimum of 600 nectar points and possibly up to 15,000 points.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Diamandis wrote: »
    They sorted it and gave you more so why won't you shop there?

Toys & pram come to mind!
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    boliston wrote: »
    If you had split it into 3 lots of £10 then you would have had a guaranteed minimum of 600 nectar points and possibly up to 15,000 points.

I didn't know I was going to get anything, and I needed a spend of £20 to get 5x points anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure