BT broadband Haggling thread

Comments

• I got Infinity when it first came to our area, and was a 12 month Infinity 2 package because I need uncapped/unshaped data. Fast forward almost 18 months and Virgin has been installed outside, and the only service they have that I could use is the uncapped/unshaped Vivid 200 Gamer at £50 per month. I called BT, eventually put through to Customer Options Team (call direct on 150) and after a bit of haggling was offered Infinity 2 for £41.49/month on and 18 month contract. I went away to think about it...

Last night I discovered that they now sell Infinity 1 Unlimited! Doh! I had no idea this existed. In truth I've only ever had Infinity 1 speeds (45/9 at best), but I needed unlimited data. It's slightly annoying that they've never suggested this product before as they now the speeds I normally get and the data I use :(

So armed with this info I called 150 this morning and after an amicable and pleasant chat with South Shields I was offered Infinity 1 Unlimited on a 12 month contract for £27.99 (inc LR and unlimited w/e calls). That's cheaper than they offer to new customers and I see a few people earlier on this three have already got this deal. :T
  • stockton_2
    stockton_2 Posts: 336 Forumite
    I got Infinity when it first came to our area, and was a 12 month Infinity 2 package because I need uncapped/unshaped data. Fast forward almost 18 months and Virgin has been installed outside, and the only service they have that I could use is the uncapped/unshaped Vivid 200 Gamer at £50 per month. I called BT, eventually put through to Customer Options Team (call direct on 150) and after a bit of haggling was offered Infinity 2 for £41.49/month on and 18 month contract. I went away to think about it...

Last night I discovered that they now sell Infinity 1 Unlimited! Doh! I had no idea this existed. In truth I've only ever had Infinity 1 speeds (45/9 at best), but I needed unlimited data. It's slightly annoying that they've never suggested this product before as they now the speeds I normally get and the data I use :(

So armed with this info I called 150 this morning and after an amicable and pleasant chat with South Shields I was offered Infinity 1 Unlimited on a 12 month contract for £27.99 (inc LR and unlimited w/e calls). That's cheaper than they offer to new customers and I see a few people earlier on this three have already got this deal. :T

Does this include BT Sports?
  • editor1
    editor1 Posts: 287 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    I got Infinity when it first came to our area, and was a 12 month Infinity 2 package because I need uncapped/unshaped data. Fast forward almost 18 months and Virgin has been installed outside, and the only service they have that I could use is the uncapped/unshaped Vivid 200 Gamer at £50 per month. I called BT, eventually put through to Customer Options Team (call direct on 150) and after a bit of haggling was offered Infinity 2 for £41.49/month on and 18 month contract. I went away to think about it...

Craig,

New customers to BT Infinity 1 not only get a £150 MasterCard payment, but if you sign-up via TopCashBack or Quidco, you get a further £100 back, I worked this out on another thread earlier this week - suffice to say, new customers are paying far less than you for the same package - same applies to me, I signed up to MSE Sky deal in early Jan at £12 a month, only to see it offered at a lower price this week, still, after all offers we are paying the grand total of £16 pm for ASDL2 BB and unlimited phone.
  • mr.milo wrote: »
    I have been a loyal customer with BT infinity for the past six years,
    I have never phoned up to haggle a new price.
    BT have even sent me letters saying they can give me a saving.

So today after reading Martin's haggling advice, phoned up BT leaving line. After 15 mins on hold, a lady answered, she was not very easy to haggle with at all. To cut a long phone call short, she offered me £10 savings, I am paying £60 a month for infinity 76mb and inclusive calls.
    She was not willing to give out a new router, unless I pay full for it.
    When I started to say, actually I am going to leave, she just went on for ages about how, I might never be able to get back on, due to running out of room.
    Is £10 a month saving any good?Should I just shup up and take the discount?

Sorry for the ramble, but the operator was so matter of fact, there was no room for barter at all.
    Kind Regards Milo

Hi, i was the same as you loyal to BT, did get good discounts each year.

In 2015, i worked out what i wanted to pay for my service and could afford. I just phoned them up and said can i renew my contract, im not going to mess about i would like x amount off.

Yes it worked have you tried this ?

Last year i changed to Sky and got a better deal than BT would give me.
  • No, just broadband, line rental and unlimited weekend calls.
  • Sure, that's new customers.
    Personally I'm just going on the current offer of £29.49 online for new customers.
    I don't expect to get all the fee stuff as an existing customer.
  • Al_Ross
    Al_Ross Posts: 905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 10 March 2017 at 8:54PM
    As I've already said on this site, I managed to haggle on three separate BT accounts for Infinity 1, line rental and weekend calls included for £25.99.
    Mine (I also managed to get a free latest BT hub included free as well.
    My son's (He manages to keep BT Sport free for another 24 months as well). and a flat I rent out as well.

So for each account I had to phone, spoke to 3 different blokes. Each time I phoned and told them I had my email about the price rise and that I was about to move over to Plusnet as I could get the same deal from them for £25.00 a month. They will try to talk you out but be persistent and they will offer you Infinity 1 for £25.99 or Infinity 2 for £33.49, these include line rental and free weekend calls.

All 3 accounts are on 24 month contracts at that price,should the price rise during that time,I am free to leave or haggle a new deal.
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I've previously posted my experience of trying to get a deal with BT, and it wasn't much fun. It appears some people are lucky, they just phone up and manage to get a good price, but just because it worked for you (even more than once), doesn't mean everyone else will automatically get a good deal.

I had to phone a few times before getting a deal, despite telling them I was leaving. The first person just told me they couldn't match the offer. I did get the deal I wanted the second time I phoned, but then had to call them back as I didn't get the confirmation emails I was supposed to. I had to speak to another four people before I got it sorted, the first put me through to a manager who I wish I had recorded he was so unhelpful, the third person I spoke to insisted I couldn't have been offered Infinity for £10 as it wasn't possible to get a reduction to less than £20, and finally the fourth person managed to sort it for me.

It was a huge hassle, and next year I will probably just leave BT to save myself the bother of going through it all again!
  • BT being stubborn with me through a couple of calls but have started calling me now. Maybe because I have not taken their bait. I think we could reach an agreement, have a little time.
  • Al_Ross wrote: »
    Infinity 1, line rental and weekend calls included for £25.99.

Is that Infinity 1 Unlimited or just Infinity 1?
    Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport